Ermak Travel Guide

 

The World at your fingertips 

 

 

 

 

Feel free to leave your comments below. If you want to share your knowledge, additional information or experience in a particular place your input is more than welcome.

 

Athens

Athens is rightfully considered a birthplace of the European and Western Civilization.

 

 

 

 

Travel Destinations in Athens

First settlement on a sire of modern Athens date back 7000 years ago, although it reached the height of its power in the 5th century BC. Ships with settlers set sail from Athens to all corners of the known World establishing new colonies from Spain in the West to Russia and Georgia in the East. Citizens of the city spread not only their trade routes, but also architecture, literature, democracy and other achievements of their culture. Greek temples still influence many government and cultural buildings around the World.

 

Most of the historic buildings from the time of the antiquity are located in the Southern part of Athens. The Northern part of Athens contains mostly newer buildings. The city expanded northward in the 19th century. North Athens contains most of the most important museums in the city. It might be a good idea to buy a map or a travel guide to have an idea of which destinations you would want to visit. Missing some of them might very disappointed.

 

Acropolis (Athens)

 

Acropolis (Ακρόπολις) (Athens)

Acropolis Reconstruction

Dionyslou Areopagitou, Plaka

Tel. 210 321 0219

Subway: Acropolis

Bus: 230, 231

Open: 8am- 7:30pm daily Apr- Oct

8:30am- 3pm daily Nov- Mar

Closed: 1 Jan, 25 Mar, Easter, 1 May, 25, 26 Dec

www.culture.gr

Acropolis, which literally means "a city on the edge" was central to religious and cultural life of the city. Most of construction date to the 5th century BC when Greek political leader Perikles persuaded his countrymen to start a construction of religious buildings on the hill overlooking the city. Parthenon was constructed in the 5th century BC and dedicated to Greek goddess Athena. According to a legend she had a bet with god Poseidon, ruler of seas, over ownership of the city and she won. Thus the city was named after her and protected by her. The Theatre of Dionysus (party- animal god of wine and getting plastered) was added in the 4th century on the South slope of the complex. Later Theatre of Herodes Atticus was added during Roman reign in the 2nd century AD.

 

Map of Acropolis in Athens

Acropolis Athens Map

The Parthenon (Παρθενών) (Athens)

Parthenon

The Parthenon is without a doubt the most famous and most recognizable of all Greek temples. It was constructed in 447- 438 BC during the Classical period of Greece under supervision of famous Athenian architect and sculpture, Phidias. It was established thanks to the discovered fragments of marble plates of city government regulations and financial reports. The total construction lasted for 10 years and consecrated at the Panathenaic festival (in Greek it can be translated as for "all the Athenians"). Work on the decorations and finishing of the temple were finished in 431 BC.

 

The Parthenon was called "New" Parthenon since it replaced the older Parthenon. Previous temple was destroyed by the Persians who took the city of Athens in 480 BC during Greco- Persian Wars. It was constructed as a pagan temple devoted to the patron goddess of Athena who protected the city of Athens and all of region of Attica. According to Greek mythology Athena was a symbol of wisdom. She was born from the head of her father, Zeus, the main god in the Ancient Greek Pantheon of Gods. It was believed that she never fell in love. Thus she remained a virgin or Parthenos in Greek. Thus it gives the name of the whole temple. Her statue, work of Phidias, stood inside. Thestatue of Athena made of gold and ivory with a wooden base stood at 12 meters high. In one hand she held a statue of Nike (goddess of victory), while another hand rested on a shield with a snake Erichthonius curled around its base. The helmet on the head of Athena had three large ridges, middle ridge with a sphinx and two sides ridges with griffins. The base of the statue depicted the birth of Pandora. Unfortunately the statue of Athena has not survived to the present day and its appearance is only known by the descriptions, images on coins and a few ancient copies. Many gift shop in Athens seel the replica of the famous Athenian statue.

 

The initiator of the construction of the Parthenon was Pericles, Athenian statesman, famous military leader and reformer. Design and construction of the Parthenon was carried out by a famous Greek architects Iktinos and Callicrates. Most of structure was created from a high quality Pentelic marble in a periptera outline (rectangular architectural structure surrounded by columns). The Parthenon was surrounded by 50 columns, 8 columns on the facade and 17 columns on each side. The ancient Greek knew that straight lines are distorted by a human eye so they used some optical deception in the construction. For example the diameter of the columns is decreasing toward the top and corner columns are inclined toward the center.

 

In the 5th century AD it was converted to Greek Orthodox Church and was dedicated to Virgin Mary, mother of Jesus Christ. With the Ottoman invasion of the Balkans it was turned into a Muslim Mosque in 1460's. Turkish lords added a minaret, a prayer tower, next to it. The greatest damage to this beautiful came on September 26th, 1687 when a Venetian cannon ball managed to ignite a gun powder warehouse inside the Parthenon, blasting it structure. In 1806 Thomas Bruce, 7th Earl of Elgin, visited the site and removed several structures from the site. These statues and marble pieces became known as Elgin Marbles. Today they are housed in the British Museum in London, UK. There is still great deal of debate whether these statues should be returned to the original site to reconstruct the Parthenon to its original condition or leave the things as they are now.

Over the centuries the Parthenon influenced design of many civil and religious structures in the Western World that we see today. However if you want to see the full scale reconstruction of the Parthenon you can visit Nashville, Tennessee in USA.

 

Parthenon in Nashville, Tennessee

 

 

The Erectheion (Athens)

 

The Erechtheion was erected in 421- 206 BC on the North side of the Acropolis near the Parthenon. It was built on a place of a traditional site of a legendary struggle between Athena, patron of the city, and her nemesis Poseidon, god of the Sea. The goddess won and Athenians constructed this religious complex that is made up of two temples devoted to two Ancient Greek gods, the Eastern part of The Erechtheion belonged to goddess Athena Polias (city protector) and the Western Erechtheion was dedicated to god of sea- Poseidon and king Erechtheus. The tomb of legendary king Erechtheus that gave the Erechtheion its name is located under the North Portico of the complex. A tomb of another ruler of Athens and Attica, king Kekropa on the Western facade of the Erechtheion. Ancient temple stood here since the ancient times, but it was demolished by the Persians in 480 BC.

The Erechtheion construction was initiated by the famous Athenian politician Pericles, although its was completed after his death. It was suggested that the architect of this elegant and magnificent buildings was architect Mnesikles, but there is little historic evidence to confirm this theory.

 

The Erechtheion is unique building in the Ancient Greek architecture. It has an assymetrical layout uncharacteristic to Athens. Partially it was due to uneven ground of Acropolis, but also due to diversity of various sanctuaries within its walls. The Erechtheion has two entrance, one from the North and another from the East.

The most recognizable part of The Erechtheion is the South side with the famous portico Pandroseyon, named after the daughter of the king Kekropa, princess Pandrosus. Architrave is proped by six marble statues of girls (caryatids). It is one of the most recognizable symbols of The Erechtheion and all of Acropolis. Four of the original columns/ statues are kept in place, while others were replaced by casts, exact replicas of the original works of art. One of the original statues is currently kept in the British Museum in London.

 

Building of the Erechteion was surrounded by a frieze with figures, but decorations did not survive to the present day. Few fragments discovered by the archaeological digs are currently stores in the Museum of the Acropolis.

 

In ancient times the Erechtheion contained a natural salt spring. Ancient Greeks believed it was god Poseidon who carved it out of the rock with his trident. Goddess Athena on the other hand planted an olive tree next to the site. A wooden (made of olive tree) statue of Athena that was kept inside the Erechtheion is said to have fallen from the skies. The Erechtheion also kept a gold lamp made by master Kallimaha along a statue of Hermes. Temple also housed the altars of the god Haephaestus (god of smiths and volcanoes).

 

In the 7th century the Erechtheion was turned into a Christian church. During Turkish Rule Erechtheion served as a residence of harem of numerous wives of the Turkish commander (disdar) in the 15th century. During War of Independence in 1827 the structure was badly damaged by a artillery shell fired by the Turkish positions. The first major restoration projet was carried out soon after Greek independence. Today the Erechtheion is included in the UNESCO World Heritage List as part of the Athens Acropolis.

 

 

 

The Beule Gate and Propylea (Athens)

 

The ceremonial path to the Acropolis started with passing of The Beule Gate pictured on the left. It was constructed in 267 AD by the Romans who needed to improve military fortifications in their largest city on the Balkan Peninsula after Germanic barbarian tribe of Heruli attacked borders of the empire and swept through the region. Several inscriptions are still visible on this entrance. This included actual dedication to the gods as well as a Latin inscription that mentions rich Roman donor Flavius Septimius Marcellinus that paid for the construction. In 1686 Ottoman Turks destroyed the temple of Athena Nike and used its marble to construct an artillery bastion over the gate to defend the high ground of the city. Eventually the gate was forgotten and buried by centuries of trash. Only 1852 it was re- discovered by a French archaeologist Ernest Beule, who also gave this ancient gate his name.

 

Beule Gate was the starting point for religious ceremonies in the ancient times. They followed the path to Propylaia or Propylea (pictured on the right) that was constructed in 437- 432 BC. Architect Mnesikles created a splendid entrance to the Acropolis. Unfortunately his work was cut short by the Peloponnesian War between Athens and their allies against Sparta. After the fall of the Roman Empire this structures served as a residence of the archbishop, Frankish palace, Turkish Fortress and an armory. Unfortunately it was this fact that destroyed large part of the structure. Some careless Turkish soldier accidentally detonated gunpowder stores thus blowing up large portion of the original structure.

 

Temple of Athena Nike (Athens)

 

Temple of Athena Nike or Athena of Victory designed by architect Kallikrates and was erected here in 426- 421 BC to commemorate significant victories of the Greek armies over the Persians. Temple of Athena Nike stands on a site of an older temple that was destroyed in 480 BC by the invading Persians.

 

Temple of Athena Nike frieze depicts scenes from the Battle of Plataea that was fought in 479 BC and resulted in decisive Greek victory. Unique feature of this pagan temple is a fact that it stands on artificial base made from Pentelic marble at a height of 9.6 metres (31 feet) above natural rock. The roof of the temple was supported by four Ionic columns that measure 4 meters of 13 feet in height. The temple was surrounded by a parapet to prevent people from falling from a steep cliff. Inside Temple of Athena Nike was a statue of the goddess Nike. In one hand a statue held a helmet (symbol of war) and in the other hand she held grenades (symbol of fertility). Usually ancient Greeks portrayed goddess Nike with wings, but this statues was wingless. This was done as a symbol that the Athenians don't want the Victory to leave their home town.

 

In 1686 The Turks used part of the marble from the Temple of Athena Nike for the construction of the military fortifications to defend the city, but in 1834- 38 the temple was reconstructed. The marble was returned to its present location. In 1935 Temple of Athena Nike underwent new reconstruction using better knowledge and technologies about its past appearance.

 

 

Legend of King Aegeus and Theseus (Athens)

Ancient Greeks believed that it was here that King Aegeus stood, while waiting for his son Theseus. Ruler of Crete, king Minos, imposed a terrible tax on the Greeks. He forced Athenians to give up seven virgins and seven young men every month. They were transported to the island of Crete to Knossos. Where a terrible creature lived in a labyrinth created by a local king. With body of a man and a head of bull, Minotaur killed everyone who dared to come here. Theseus made a promise to his father Aegeus that he will change the sails on the ships from black to white if he killed the monster. The hero achieved his goal and even made it out. However on the way back he had to give up his loved Ariadne who helped him to escape from the labyrinth. He forgot to change the sails on the ship that was carrying him to Athens. It was believed that King Aegeus saw these sails, assumed his son was killed and jumped from this cliff into the sea. Thus the Aegean Sea got its name.

 

 

Odeon of Herodes Atticus (Athens)

Odeon of Herodes Atticus or Theatre of Herodes Atticus was constructed during period of the Roman rule in 161- 174 AD. It was sponsored by money granted by Roman consul Herodes Atticus who also named the theatre after himself. It could seat up to 5000 spectators. Despite its size it was fairly easy to construct. Roman and Greek engineers simply used the natural curvature of  the walls of the hill on which Acropolis stands to support the seats for the people. Colonnades that are visible behind the center stage once contained statues of nine Muses, deities that protect and inspire all artists. Today they are gone. Odeon of Herodes Atticus was partially restored in 1955. Today it houses concerts and other cultural performances. The main difference between current restoration and the way it looked in the ancient times is lack of wooden roof  that was probably made of cedar. This would protect the audience against sun as well as unexpected rain. Additionally it provide a better acoustics so that all spectators could hear the words of the play.

 

Theatre of Dionysis (Athens)

 

Theatre of Dionysos is an ancient Greek theatre that was constructed in 342- 326 BC by Lykourgos.

 

Panagía Spiliótissa (Our Lady of the Cave) (Athens)

 

Panagía Spiliótissa (Our Lady of the Cave) is a small Orthodox Christian chapel that is carved into rock of an Acropolis. It is located just behind the Theatre of Dionysos. The two Corinthian columns that you behind the cave at the base of the defensive wall were erected by ancient sponsors of successful performances in the theatres below.

 

New Acropolis Museum (Athens)

Makryanni

Subway: Acropolis

Entrance fee: 5 Euro

 

Ancient Agora (Athens)

Adrianou, Monastiraki

Tel. 210 321 0185

Subway: Thiselo, Monastiraki

Museum and Archeological site

Open: 8am- 8pm Mon- Sun, Apr- Oct

8am- 5:45pm Nov- Mar

Closed: 1 Jan, 25 Mar, Easter, 1 May, 25, 26 Dec

 

 

Temple of Hephaestus (Athens)

Temple of Hephaestus is one of the best preserved temples in the city of Athens and all of Greece. It was constructed in 449 - 415 BC. It was originally dedicated to Hephaestus (Roman equivalent Vulcan, hence the word "volcano"). He was a patron god of metal working and craftsmanship. Greeks believed that he lived deep in the mountain caves and his active work caused volcano eruptions. The temple was very lucky to change hands. From the 7th century to 1834 it served as a Greek Orthodox Church of Saint George Akamates. This preserved the structure from being destroyed by stone masons who reused other ancient structures to build new buildings in the Athens.

 

 

 

North (Athens)

 

National Archeological Museum (Εθνικo Αρχαιολογικo Μουσεiο) (Athens)

National Archeological Museum National Archeological Museum

44 Patisslon, Exacheia

Tel. 210 821 7724

Subway: Omonoia

Open: 8am- 8pm Tue- Sun

1:30- 8pm Mon

www.namuseum.gr

National Archaeological Museum or simply National Museum was opened in 1891. Ancient artifacts from various digs were brought here. Over time the museum expanded and new wings were added to the existing structure. During World War II many of the artifacts from collection were buried and hidden away for preservation. After the end of the hostilities the museum reopened in 1946.

The ground floor of the National Museum covers Mycenaean, Neolithic, Cycladic, Geometric, Archaic, Classical, Hellenistic and finally Roman finds. One of the most notable artifacts housed here is a Mask of Agamemnon that was discovered in the ancient city of Mycenae by Henrich Schliemann. German self taught archaeologists he set up on a quest to prove that Iliad described historic events. He discovered Troy in modern Turkey and a tomb of a legendary Greek king Agamemnon who fought against Trojans. According to legends king returned back to his home town, where he was killed by his own cheating wife. Now we know that the mask is actually older than the time described in the Iliad. The mask dates back to the mid- 1600s BC instead of 1200s BC.

National Historical Museum (Athens)

Stadlou 13, Syntagma

Tel. 210 323 7617

Subway: Syntagma

Tram train: 1, 2, 4, 5, 9, 10, 11, 18

Open: 9am- 2pm Tue- Sun

Closed: public holidays

National Historical Museum is situated in the old building of the Greek Parliament and a former residence of Greek king Otto of Greece. It was found in 1882 and today it is the oldest collections in the country. Artifacts and items kept here span the timeframe from the capture of Constantinople by the Ottoman Turks in 1453 to the Second World War.

War Museum (Athens)

War Museum Athens

Vasilssis Soflas and Rizari, Illsia

Tel. 210 725 2975

Subway: Evangelismos

Tram train: 3, 7, 8, 13

Open: 9am- 2pm Tue- Sat, 9:30am- 2pm Sun

Closed: public holidays

Official site

Athens War Museum was established on July 18, 1975. It contains a massive collection of examples of weapon artifacts that range from the Antiquity to the modern times. Geography if various weapons are not limited to Greece itself. The museum contains artifacts from Ancient China, Ancient Japan, Europe and other parts of the World.

 

Byzantine Museum (Athens)

 

Vasilissis Sofias 22, Kolonaki, Plateia Rigilis

Tel. 210 729 4926

Subway: Evangelismos

Trolley: 3, 7, 8, 13

Open: 8:30am- 3pm Tue- Sun

Closed: public holidays

Official site

Byzantine Museum is dedicated to collecting various artifacts concerning the Byzantine Period in Greek history. Byzantine Empire appeared in the late Antiquity or Early Medieval period as an Eastern Roman Empire.

 

Theatrical Museum (Athens)

Akadimias 50

Tel. 210 362 9430

Subway: Panepistimio

Trolley: 3, 8, 13

Open: 10am- 3pm Mon- Fri, 10am- 1pm Sun

Closed: Aug, 17 Nov, public holidays

 

Kolonaki Square or Plateia Kolonakiou

Trolley: 3, 7, 8, 13

National Gallery of Art (Athens)

Vasileos Konstantinou 50, Illsia

Tel. 210 723 5937

Subway: Evangelismos

Tram train: 3, 13

Open: 9am- 3pm and 6- 9pm Mon and Wed

9am- 3pm Thu- Sat, 10am- 2pm Sun

Closed: public holidays

Official Site

National Gallery of Athens is an art museum in the city of Athens with a large collection of Greek and European art that date from the 14th century to the 20th century. It was originally found in 1878 with a small collection of 117 items. It particularly grew in size in 1900 to 1918 under curator George Iakovides. Over next decades it grew to a large and respectable exposition.

 

Museum of Cycladic Art (Athens)

Museum of Cycladic Art

Neofytou Douka 4, Kolonaki

Tel. 210 722 8321

Tram train: 3, 7

Open: 10am- 5pm Mon, Wed, Fri, Sat, 10am- 8pm Thu, 11am- 5pm Sun

Closed: public holidays

www.cycladic.gr

Goulandris Museum of Cycladic Art is one of the larger museums of Athens that contain a massive collection of artifacts and items of Cycladic Art. Cycladic Civilization flourished on the islands of the Aegean Sea between 3300BC and 2000 BC. Along with Mycenaean and Minoans they formed the culture of the Ancient Greece.

The museum was found in 1986 and the original collection consisted from the private collection of Nicholas and Dolly Goulandris. The building was constructed after design of Greek architect Ioannis Vikelas.

Kapnikarea (Athens)

Kapnikarea Athens

Ermou and Kalamiotou, Monastiraki

Tel. 210 322 4462

Subway: Monastiraki

Open: 8am- 2pm Mon, Wed

8am- 12:30pm and 5-7pm Tue, Thu, Fri

8- 11:30am Sun

Closed: public holidays

Church of Panaghia Kapnikarea (Saint Mary Church) is a medieval Byzantine Church near Monastiraki. It was constructed in the middle of the 11th century on a site of an older ancient Greek pagan temple that was dedicated to Greek goddess, either Athena or Demeter. It was probably part of a bigger monastery that is now lost to time. The name Kapnikarea either comes from a last name of the sponsor or named after "Kapnikon" a type of Byzantine tax that could be used to construct the church.

The building was badly damaged, looted by the Turkish troops in the early 19th century. The church was miraculously saved after the Greek War of Independence. First it was prevented by king Ludwig of Bavaria, king Otto's father and then again it was saved from demolishing in 1863 by direct intervention from the Bishop of Athens.

Benaki Museum (Athens)

Koumpari & Vasilsis Sofias, Syntagma

Tel. 210 367 1000

Subway: Syntagma

Tram train: 3, 7, 8, 13

Open: 9am- 5pm Mon, Wed, Fri, Sat

9am- 12pm Thu

9am- 3pm Sun

Closed: 1 Jan, 25 Mar, Good Fri, Easter, May 25, Dec 26

www.benaki.gr

 

Gennadeion (Athens)

American School of Classical Studies, Souidias 54, Kolonaki

Tel. 210 723 6313

Subway: Evangelismos

Trolley: 3, 7, 8, 13

Open: 8:30am- 9pm Mon- Fri, 9am- 2pm Sat

Closed: Aug, public holidays

 

Museum of the City of Athens (Athens)

Paparrigopoulou 7, Syntagma, Plateia Klafthmonos

Tel. 210 323 1397

Subway: Panepistimio

Trolley: 1, 2, 4, 5, 9, 11, 12, 15, 18

Open: 9am- 4pm Mon, Wed- Fri 10am- 3pm Sat, Sun

Closed: public holidays

 

South (Acropolis) (Athens)

 

Kerameikos (Athens)

Ermou 148, Thisefo

Tel. 210 346 3552

Subway: Thisefo

Open: 8:30am- 3pm Tue- Sun

11am- 3pm Mon

Kerameikos is an ancient cemetery of Athens. First burials date back to the 12th century. The Sacred Way that started in Eleusis led here. Most of statues were removed, but their plaster casts stands on its previous location.

 

Municipal Art Gallery (Athens)

Peiraios 51, Plateia Koumoundourou, Omonoia

Tel. 210 324 3022

Subway: Omonoia

Open: 9am- 1pm and 5- 9pm Mon- Fri, 9am- 1pm Sun

Closed: 3 Oct, public holidays

 

Russian Church of the Holy Trinity (Athens)

Filellinon 21, Plaka

Tel. 210 323 1090

Trolley: 1, 2, 4, 5, 9, 10, 11, 12, 15, 18

Open: 7:30- 10am Mon- Fri, 7- 11am Sat, Sun

Closed: public holidays

 

Kallimarmaro Stadium (Athens)

Archimidous 16, Pagkrati

Tel. 210 752 6386

Trolley: 3, 4, 11

Open: 8am- sunset daily

 

Greek Folk Art Museum (Athens)

Kydathinaion 17, Plaka

Tel. 210 321 3018

Bus: 2, 4, 9, 10, 11, 12, 15

Trolley: 1, 5

Open: 9am- 2pm Tue- Sun

Closed: public holidays

www.melt.gr

 

Jewish Museum of Greece (Athens)

Nikis 39, Syntagma

Tel. 210 322 5582

Subway: Syntagma

Trolley: 1, 2, 4, 5, 9, 10, 11, 12, 15, 18

Open: 9am- 2:30pm Mon- Fri, 10am- 2pm Sun

Closed: public holidays, Jewish holidays

 

Ilias Lalaounis Jewellery Museum (Athens)

Karyatidon and P.Kallisperi 12, Akropoli

Tel. 210 922 1044

Subway: Akropolis

Open: 8:30am- 4:30pm Thu- Sat, 9am- 9pm Wed, 11am- 4pm Sun

Closed: public holidays

Kanellopoulos Museum (Athens)

Theorias and Panis 12, Plaka

Tel. 210 321 2313

Subway: Monastiraki

Open: 8:30am- 3pm Tue- Sun

12- 3pm Good Friday

Closed: 1 Jan, 25 March, Easter Sunday, 25, 26 Dec

 

Museum of Greek Popular Musical Instruments (Athens)

Diogenous 1- 3, Plaka

Tel. 210 325 0198

Subway: Monastiraki

Open: 10am- 2pm Tue- Sun, 12- 6pm Wed

Closed: 17 Nov, public holidays

Plaka (Athens)

Temple of Olympian Zeus (Athens)

Amalias and Vasilissis Olgas, Plaka

Tel. 210 922 6330

Trolley: 2, 4, 11

Open: Apr- Oct: 8:30am- 7pm daily

Nov- Mar: 8:30am- 3pm daily

Closed: public holidays

Free admission: Sun, Nov- Mar

 

Panagia Gorgoepikoos (Athens)

 

Plateia Mitropoleos, Plaka

Subway: Monastiraki

Open: 7am- 7pm daily

 

Mitropoli (Athens)

Plateia Mitropoleos, Plaka

Tel. 210 322 1308

Subway: Monastiraki

Open: 7am- 7pm daily

 

Agios Nikolaos Ragavas (Athens)

Prytaneiou and Epicharmou Plaka

Tel. 210 322 8193

Subway: Monastiraki

Trolley: 1, 2, 4, 5, 9, 10, 11, 12, 15, 18

Open: 8am- 12pm, 5- 8pm daily

Agios Nikolaos Ragavas or simply Church of Saint Nicholas is a medieval Byzantine church that was constructed in the 11th century by Paul Xiropotamino, grandson of Emperor Michael I Rangabe. Much of its marble stones as well as columns used in its construction was quarried from the ancient pagan temples. It was first reconstructed in the 18th century. This church was the first in the city to receive its own bell after the War of Independence was won in 1821 against the Ottoman Turkish Empire. When the German Wehrmacht marched into a country bells of the church were silenced. Only after enemies were forced out of Greece the bells started to ring again on October 12, 1944. It is in use today celebrating Eastern Orthodox holidays. The last time it was reconstructed was in 1970's.

 

Tower of the Winds (Athens)

Roman Agora, Plaka

Tel. 210 324 5220

Subway: Monastiraki

Open: Apr- Oct 8am- 7pm daily; Nov- Mar 8:30am- 3pm daily

Closed: public holidays

 

Kyriazopoulos Folk Ceramic Museum (Athens)

Tzistarakis Mosque, Areas 1, Monastiraki

Tel. 210 324 2066

Subway: Monastiraki

Open: 9am- 2:30pm Mon, Wed- Sun

Closed: public holidays

 

University of Athens Museum (Athens)

Tholou 5, Plaka

Tel. 210 368 9502

Subway: Monastiraki

Open: Apr- Oct 5- 9pm Mon, Wed 9:30am- 2:30pm Tue, Thu, Fri

Nov- Mar 9:30am- 2:30pm Mon- Fri

Closed: public holidays

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

blog comments powered by Disqus