City state of Cerros established
at the mouth of the New River before it empties its water into
Caribbean Sea. The site was established around 400 BC during
the Late Preclassic Era. Original inhabitants of Cerros were
fishermen and farmers. In the first century AD the city grew. It
became an important trading post of the Mayan civilization.
Several temples, two ball courts and many other political and
religious structures were constructed in the centre of the city.
The city was abandoned around 400 AD. Only in 1900 Thomas Gann
identified the archaeological site, mistakenly calling pyramids
that were covered by jungles as lookout mounds for the Mayans.