Jægerspris Castle (Jægerspris Slot)

Jægerspris Slot



Location: Jægerspris, island of Zealand Map

Constructed: 13th century

Info: Jaegerspris Slot, Slotsgarden 20

Tel. 47 53 10 04

Open:Apr- Oct: 11am- 4pm Tue- Sun

Park: open daily


History of Jægerspris Castle

Jægerspris Castle is located in Jægerspris on the island of Zealand in Denmark. You can get here from Danish Copenhagen by taking a S-train to Frederikssund and then a bus 322 to the castle. Construction of Jægerspris Castle began in the 13th century, but little is preserved from the Medieval times. Jægerspris Castle lost its military importance in the 16th and 17th centuries, but unlike other military fortification of the time it was reconstructed to serve as a hunting lodge. The castle changed its original name of Abrahamstrup was switched to Jægerspris Castle that literally means Hunter's Praise Castle.
In 1850's it became a private retreat for Danish king King Frederik VII and his wife Countess Danner. The marriage caused lots of controversy since it was a morganatic or an union between two people of unequal social status. Countess Danner was a ballet dancer and a singer before she was a spouse of a monarch earning a public scolding and hate. Eventually she transformed Jægerspris Castle into a asylum for women and found an organization of Frederick VII's Foundation for Poor Women from the Working Class. This earned this chateau another name of Donner's house.
The park around Jægerspris Castle is just as famous at the estate itself. The most famous tree on its ground is Kongeegen or The Royal Oak. It is the oldest tree in Northern Europe at its age of approximately 2000 years.


Until 1677 the castle was called Abrahamstrup. Who this Abraham is is not known. However, it is speculated that the name is derived from Valdemar Sejr's son Abel. In the 13th century, most of Horns Herred belonged to Valdemar Sejr's crown estate.

In the period 1673, the castle came into private ownership with master hunter Vincent Hahn. It was in 1677 under his ownership that the castle got its current name, Jægerspris Castle.

In 1679, the castle was transferred again to the royal house, where it was converted into a summer residence for Frederik IV.

In 1703 the king left the castle to his brother Prince Carl.

In 1729, Crown Prince Christian (VI) took over the castle after Prince Carl's death.

In 1743, Crown Prince Frederik (V) inherited the castle, which was inherited until King Frederik VII, who became the last royal owner of the castle. At the end of the monarchy in 1848, the castle passed to the state.

In 1854, however, the king repurchased the castle for use as a refuge from the upper bourgeoisie and the aristocracy's indignation at his bourgeois marriage to Louise Christine Rasmussen (better known as Countess Danner).

After the king's death in 1863, Countess Danner inherited the castle and had it as her permanent residence. In 1867 she established an orphanage in the former cavalry wing. Almost half a year before her death, she founded the foundation King Frederik VII's Foundation of 30 October 1873. The foundation included, among other things, that Jægerspris Castle, after the countess's death, was to be converted into an orphanage for poor and disadvantaged girls.

In the castle park you can see Countess Danner's marble coffin, which is located in a burial mound, which is open at the side. Here is also Danneregen, which is a graft of Denmark's oldest tree, Kongeegen.

The Danish porn comedy In the Sign of the Bull (1974) takes place around Jægerspris Castle, where the count's death turns the local community upside down.

For a number of years, the castle housed Jægerspris Socialpædagogiske Seminarium, Dannerseminariet, which in 2009 was merged with Hillerød Pædagogseminarium.

There are still (2013) orphanages at Jægerspris Castle, as well as other social treatment offers. Jægerspris Castle Estate is on 3,010 hectares with the farms Christiansminde, Egelundsgården and Louiseholm.