Ermak Travel Guide

 

The World at your fingertips 

 

 

Feel free to leave your comments below. If you want to share your knowledge, additional information or experience in a particular place your input is more than welcome.

 

 

 

Saint Petersburg

Saint Petersburg

Saint Petersburg is second largest city in Russia and arguably most beautiful. It is often referred as "Palmyra of the North" or "The Venice of the North" as a reference to number of channels and islands that form the old historic portion of the city.

 

 

 

 

Description of Saint Petersburg

Saint Petersburg was constructed by the orders of Peter the Great in the early 18th century. In the duration of the Great Northern War Russian forces managed to defeat the Swedish empire conquering lands that opened the Russian Empire its only passage to the Baltic Sea. Emperor Peter I opened his famous "Window to Europe" and to solidify his conquest he decided to construct a new city and move his capital here from Moscow. The city was named after holy patron of the emperor, Saint Peter. "Burg" is a German for city. Peter was a big fan of the West and Germany in particular. Saint Petersburg was found on 16th (27th) May in 1703. It served as a capital of the Russian Empire until the historic evens of the early 20th century didn't change that. At the outbrake of the World War I the German sounding name of Saint Petersburg was briefly changed to more patriotic Petrograd (Peter's city in Russian). Great October Revolution of 1917 brought an end to Russian Empire and Romanoff family that ruled it for over 300 hundred years. Subsequent Civil War forced Bolsheviks to move their capital to historic capital of Moscow. The Soviets renamed the city Leningrad after the head of revolution Lenin, but after collapse of the Soviet Union the city was renamed to its original Saint Petersburg. Despite turmoil and conflicts (both internal and external) the Cultural Capital of Russia plays an important part in the Russian literature, music and culture.

Saint Petersburg  Saint Petersburg

 

Palace Embankment (Saint Petersburg)

 

Saint Petersburg Hermitage (Winter Palace) and Palace Square

Saint Petersburg Winter Palace

Dvortsovaya Naberezhnaya 38
Tel. 311- 3420, 110- 9625, 571- 3420

Open: 10:30am- 6pm Tue- Sat, 10:30am- 5pm Sun (last admission 1 hour before closing)
Closed: Mon
Metro: Nevsky prospekt or Gostiny Dvor

www.hermitagemuseum.org

 

Hermitage of Winter Palace is a former heart of the Russian Empire. It is situated on the South bank of the Neva River right across the Fortress of Saint Peter and Paul. The palace was constructed here in 1708 by tsar Peter the Great. It was a simple wooden house made in a Dutch style. Just three years later it was replaced by a more permanent stone building.

The magnificent palace that you see today was commissioned by Empress Anna Ioannovna in 1731. Its chief architect was Francesco Bartolomeo Rastrelli. It took only four years to complete and it was finished in 1735, but in 1752 famous master of Baroque architect was asked to expand the palace by Empress Elizabeth or Elizaveta Petrovna. New reconstruction lasted for two years and was completed in 1754. At a height of 22 meters it is the tallest building in the historic centre of Saint Petersburg. After great fire of 1837 most of interior were remodelled under supervision of Vasily Stasov.

During World War I Imperial Palace was stripped off its furniture and instead turned into a hospital for the wounded soldiers. After last Russian Emperor Nicholas II abdicated in 1917, Winter Palace was turned an official seat of the Provisional Government under Alexander Kerensky. He didn't last too long and just 9 months later Bolsheviks staged a coup against the government and overthrew democratic government, thus establishing their tyranny for several decades. Today it is turned into art museum known World wide as a Hermitage.

 

 

Bronze Horseman & Decembrists’ Square (Saint Petersburg)

 

Admiralty and Alexander Garden
Bus: 7 & 10
Trolleybus: 1, 7, 10
Subway: Nevsky prospekt

Bronze Horseman is a monument erected on the Decembrists' Square to honor the founder of Saint Petersburg, Emperor Peter the Great. This is one of the most prominent symbols of Saint Petersburg.

The famous Bronze Horseman to Peter I is actually made of bronze, but it got its name due to a well- known poem by A.S. Pushkin "The Bronze Horseman". The sculpture was designated by sculptor Etienne Falconet, while the emperor's head was molded by his students Marie- Anne Collot. Falconet explained that he designed his sculpture as a monument to statesman and legislator that turned the tight of Russian history, rather than a successful military man (which obviously he was).

The rock of the Bronze Horseman was discovered by a peasant S. Vishnyakov who claimed it was stricken by a lighting, thus it got its nickname Grom- Kamen (Thunder Stone). Officials sent a large party to deliver this huge boulder. They had to drag Thunder Stone for several miles through Northern swamps, then loaded the stone on a huge barge and finally delivered it to Saint Petersburg.

The name of the Decembrist Square where it stands is dedicated to a secret Russian revolutionary Decembrists staged their failed coup in December 1825 after supposed death of Russian Emperor Alexander I. New emperor wasn't crowned yet and while two brother of the dead monarch, Nicholas (future Nicholas I) and Constantine were discussing the situation, several officers from prominent aristocratic families attempted to stage a revolt.

Although Communist government put them on the pedestal of martyrs current historians are less positive about this failed coup. It was badly planned and most of organizers didn't have a clear plan of actions if they did manage to succeed. Decembrists' rebellion turned into a mess with dozens of soldiers they led killed or wounded. Five Decembrists' were hanged. All others were exiled to Siberia. Communist government name the location of the coup in their honor.

 

Admiralty (Saint Petersburg)

Admiralty (Saint Petersburg)

Admiralteyskaya naberezhnaya 2

Bus: 7, 10, K- 129, K- 147

Tram: 1, 5, 7, 10, 17, 22

Admiralty of Saint Petersburg is situated just next to Hermitage or Winter Palace and across Peter and Paul Fortress. Originally Admiralty of Saint Petersburg was a fortified shipyard that was erected in 1704- 11 by the orders of Emperor Peter I for construction of new Russian military and trade fleet. About 10,000 artisans and various workers came from all over Russia to construct first wooden battleship for future Russian Navy.

Shipyard was surrounded by moat, earthen ramparts and five bastions for soldiers. The first ship was launched in 1706 and during reign of Peter I alone Admiralty shipyard launched 262 war ships. First building with a spire topped by a ship was built here in 1711.  The main building was renovated and reconstructed several times, but a spire with its symbolic ship stayed. Current structure was erected in 1806 following a design of Andrey Zakharow. It was once occupied by Marine Department and School of Nava Architecture as well as other naval institutes.

Since 1925 Admiralty is home to the Naval Engineering School.  Its central tower with a spire commonly known as "the needle" is one of the most visible and easily distinguished buildings in panorama of the city. Hundreds of people gather here to watch how bridges are raised every night.

 

Marble Palace (Saint Petersburg)

Image of Marble Palace

Millionnaya Ulitsa 5
Tel. 312- 9196
595- 4248
Closed: Tues
Metro: Nevsky Prospekt

Marble Palace or Constantine Palace was constructed in 1768- 85 upon orders of Empress Catherine II the Great. She intended to give it as a present for her favourite (lover) Count Grigory Orlov, thus she chose one of the most distinguished architects in the Russian Empire Russian- Italian Antonio Rinaldi. However Orlov died in 1783 before he could get a chance to move into new residence. Catherine presented Marble Palace to her grandson Grand Duke Constantine Pavlovich, thus a second name for Marble Palace is Constantine Palace after its first permanent owner.

 

Summer Garden (Saint Petersburg)

Subway: Nevsky prospekt or Gostiny Dvor

Original Summer Garden was found almost as soon as the city itself. In 1704 Emperor Peter I reserved an area of the city for French type of garden coped after garden of Versailles. Famous founder of Saint Petersburg participated in the design of Summer Garden layout as part of greater city architectural design. Summer Garden served subsequently served as a personal summer residence of the emperor.

Unfortunately the flood of 1777 destroyed much of the original layout. Catherine the Great re- constructed Summer Garden in her own English style. Her workers dug two trenches on two sides thus turning Summer Garden into an island with other two sides surrounded by rivers.

There over 250 statues that line three parallel alleys of the Summer Garden park. Original statues were made in 17th and 18th century. However most of current statues were replaced by their copies few years ago. Original masterpieces were moved to a museum for safekeeping. One of the more distinct features of the Summer Garden is its fine filigree iron grille that was made in 1771- 84 by Pyotr Yegorov and Yuriy Velten. It lines the outer side of the park that goes along the Neva embankment.

 

Summer Palace (Saint Petersburg)

Kutuzov Naberezhnaya 2
Tel. 314- 0374
Closed: Tues Jan- April

Summer Palace is a Baroque royal residence constructed in the early 18th century for Russian Emperor Peter I about the same time Saint Petersburg was established. It is located on the banks of Neva river surrounded by a Summer Garden. Summer Palace with its 14 rooms was intended as a private residence during summer months, rather than hold any state events.

Summer Palace first floor contains bedroom of Peter the Great, kitchen, dining room, dressing room and a room for a attendant coachman. While the second floor contained a bedroom of his wife Empress Catherine and her children. Additionally a Green Room served as a personal office for the Russian tsar. It was decorated in the spirit of the new French fashion that was introduced by J. Leblon.

Panels, doors, and stairs of Summer Palace are made of oak. At the time of its construction oak wood was used mainly for the needs of the military fleet warships. Many aspects of the interior carry allegorical reference to the glory of victorious navy and army that won the Russian Northern War. Summer Palace of Peter I is preserved in its original conditions through centuries. In 1925 Summer Palace was nationalized and handed over to the Russian Museum. And in 1934 it was turned into a Historical Museum.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

St. Isaac’s Cathedral (Saint Petersburg)

St. Isaac’s Ploshchad 4
Tel. 315- 9732
Open: 10am- 11pm Thu- Tue (Oct- Apr 11am- 7pm)

Closed: Wed
Bus: 3, 22, 27

Tram: 5, 22
Subway:
Nevsky Prospekt

Saint Isaac's Cathedral is one of the largest and most unique religious monuments in Russian architecture as well as all of Europe. The cathedral was constructed in Saint Petersburg in the years 1818- 1858 under supervision of architect Auguste Montferrand to honor memory of Saint Isaac of Dalmatia. It is a fourth church on this place dedicated to the same saint. The first one was a wooden one constructed in 1707 shortly after new capital was found. Peter I the Great was born on a feast day of Saint Isaac so he considered him his patron saint.

Enormous dome (over 100 meters in diameter) is visible from most places in the historic Saint Petersburg. The church supports its structure by 120 monolithic columns. Largest 45 columns that weight 114 tons support four porticos on all four sides of Saint Isaac's Cathedral. If you take a closer look at their surface you can notice damage in some parts of otherwise smooth surface. It was caused by explosions of aerial bombs dropped by German bombers.

The interior of the church is decorated by granite, marble of various colors, malachite and lapis lazuli. Icons and frescoes were painted or written by some of the most famous Russian artists of the 19th century. This includes Karl Briulov, Fyodor Bruni, Vasily Shebuev and many others. More than 300 statues, reliefs and sculpture groups were designed by Ivan Vitali. Wet climate of North- East Russia forced some frescoes being substituted for mosaics as more permanent and more durable. Saint Isaac's Cathedral also has the largest area of stained glass in Russia. In total this grandiose has 28.5 square meters of stained glass.

After Revolution of 1917 Saint Isaac's Cathedral was closed and turned into anti- religious museum of atheism. First service was held in 1988 to celebrate the millennium of Christianity in Russia. Today it remains a museum, but Orthodox Church hold service within its walls on big religious services. Additionally you can climb stairs to the upper colonnade of the central dome and admire the panorama of the historic center of Saint Petersburg from a height of 43 meters above ground level.

 

Horseguards' Manege (Saint Petersburg)

Isaakievskaya ploshchad 1

Tel. 312 2243, 571 4157

Bus: 3, 22, 27

Tram: 5, 22

Horseguards' Manege was constructed in 1804- 07 under supervision of architect Giacomo Quarenghi. Being of Italian origin he obviously was influenced by ancient Roman basilicas and used its features in a layout of this enormous indoor riding school of the Life Guards' Mounted Regiment. Additionally he included the statues of Greek mythological gods riding wild horses. These sculptures were exact copies of Quirinale Palace in Rome. They didn't stood here for long though. The Holy Synod, government ministry in charge of the Russian Orthodox Church was scandalized by a such indecent display of naked human bodies so they were removed. In 1954 however they were brought back.

 

House of Faberge (Saint Petersburg)

Bolshaya Morskaya ulitsa 24

Closed to public

Bus: 3, 22, 27

Tram: 5, 22

House of Faberge was the headquarters for famous family of jewelry makers of Faberge. Original house of Faberje was established in 1840 in a house just down the street at Bolshaya Morskaya Ulitsa 16- 18. Faberge or Faberje were  descendants of French Huguenots (French Protestants) that left their homeland in France to escape persecutions by Roman Catholics. In Russia they established a dynasty that created intricate jewelry  and exquisitely crafted objets d'art. Faberge Easter eggs became particularly famous and popular at the Russian Royal court and World wide. In 1900 Faberge company moved to a new house with a number 24. This much larger house was designed by Karl Schimdt and remained in the possession of the family until the Russian Revolution.

 

Astoria Hotel (Saint Petersburg)

Bolshaya Morskaya ulitsa

Tel. 313 5757

Bus: 3, 10, 22, 27, K-169, K-190, K-252, K-289

Tram: 5, 22

Historic Astoria Hotel was one of the most respectable and expensive hotels in a former capital of Russian Empire. It was designed by Fyodor Lidval and constructed in the Style Moderne in 1910- 12. Among its guest was famous American writer John Reed who wrote an eyewitness account of the Russian Revolution of 1917 in his book Ten Days That Shook The World. During World War II Adolf Hitler "reserved" his rooms in Hotel Astoria after his troops would capture Saint Petersburg (Leningrad at the time). He also planned a huge party within walls of this richest and most prestigious hotel. Fortunately his plans were not realized and defenders of Leningrad managed to keep the city (and Hotel Astoria) free of Nazis.

 

Angleterre Hotel (Saint Petersburg)

Malaya Morskaya 24 ulitsa

Bus: 3, 10, 22, 27, K-169, K-190, K-252, K-289

Tram: 5, 22

Angleterre Hotel is one of the most famous hotels in Saint Petersbur Original Hotel was constructed 1840 under supervision of Napoleon Bokin and thus became known as Napoleon's. Many notable Russian figures stayed here including Leo Tolstoy. However in 1886- 89 Angleterre Hotel completely reborn and got its current name. After Russian Revolution it became known as Hotel International and later renamed to Leningradskaya in 1948. Original name of Angleterre Hotel was returned only in 1970's. In 1987 Angleterre Hotel was completely reconstruct despite public protests. The facade of the original building preserved, but the rest of the building is brand new.

Angleterre Hotel is particularly famous in Russian history as a place where famous Russian poet Sergei Yesenin allegedly hanged himself in December 28, 1925. However not everyone in Russia agrees with the official Bolshevik theory. There is plenty of evidence that Angleterre Hotel was a site of a murder rather than a suicide.

 

Literary Cafe (Saint Petersburg)

Nevskiy Prospekt 18

Tel. 312 6057

Open: 11am- 11pm

Subway: Nevskiy Prospekt

Literary Cafe on Nevskiy Prospekt is famous for its role in history of Russian literature. It was a popular meeting place for Russians poets, writers and critiques and others in informal setting to socialize and discuss various subjects.

Historic name of the Literary Cafe is Cafe Wulf et Beranger after its previous owner. The building itself was constructed in 1815 under supervision of the architect Vasiliy Stasov. Russia's great poet Alexander Pushkin frequented the area since he lived close by (Moika 12). It was here he met his sekundant (witness in the duel) Konstantin Danzas on the morning of a duel with French aristocrat Baron d'Anthes. Pushkin was mortally wounded at that duel and died later at home. However Literary Cafe didn't loose popularity. Fyodor Dostoevsky, poet Mikhail Lermontov, Nekrasov and many other authors visited this cafe. It is still a popular destination with fans of Russian literature, but keep in mind that the prices are unjustly high.

 

Palace of Grand Duke Vladimir Alexandrovich (Saint Petersburg)

Location: 26, Dvortsovaya Naberezhnaya

Subway: Gostiny Dvor/Nevsky Prospekt

Tel. +7 (812) 315-8814

 

Palace of Grand Duke Vladimir Alexandrovich was constructed between 1867 and 1872 for Grand Duke Vladimir Alexandrovich, the third son of Emperor Alexander II. It was designed by architect Vasily Kenel.

 

Field of Mars (Saint Petersburg)

Bus: 2

Tram: 46

 

 

Gostinyy Dvor (Saint Petersburg)

 

Church of the Savior on Spilled Blood (Saint Petersburg)

Kanala Griboedova Naberezhnaya 2a
Tel. 315- 1636
Closed: Wed
Metro: Nevsky Prospekt

Church of the Savior on Spilled Blood was constructed by Alexander III to commemorate the his father Alexander II who was murdered here in 1881 by the revolutionaries. In the Western part of the Church you can see actually part of the former road with the impression made by the bomb that was tossed at the emperor. That is why the Church seem to block the street. Death of the emperor Alexander II is still a major source of debate. Twenty years of abandoning selfdom he intended to give Russia its full constitution. So there is still a debate who was truly guiding the hands of the killers. Was it the liberal revolutionaries who want quick and easy solution without evolution of political system or was it the conservatives who wanted absolute monarchy? The question still lingers.

The style of the church is very similar to the of Saint Basil in Moscow. Alexander III was famous for his Russian patriotism and love for the medieval Russian culture. Thus he broke the usual style of the very western city by introducing a very Russian style. Initial attempt to make frescoes failed due to high humidity of the region so the solution was found fairly quickly. All the paintings were remade, but with mosaics. Timeless stone doesn't fade and looks fresh and colorful as in day when the church was first opened. The church underwent some renovations on the outside as well as its basement. People who worked here were surprised to find an unexploded aerial German bomb lodged in a wall since the World War II. Thankfully no one was hurt and it was extracted safely. God protects his house.

 

Kazan Cathedral (Saint Petersburg)

 

Kazansky Ploshchad 2
Tel. 571- 4826
314- 5856
Subway: Nevsky Prospekt
Bus: 3, 7
Trolleybus: 1, 5, 7, 10, 22
Metro: Nevsky Prospekt

Cathedral of Our Lady of Kazan was commissioned by Emperor Paul I in 1801 and built during reign of Alexander I who took the throne after his father was assassinated. The layout of this Russian Orthodox Church was designed by a serf architect Andrey Voronikhin who was inspired by Cathedral of Saint Paul in Rome. Its most distinct feature is a curved colonnade (111 m or 364 feet) that runs parallel to Nevskiy Prospekt. Church was completed in 1811, just a year before invasion of Napoleon and his twelfth nation army. This coincidence tied Kazan Cathedral with the Patriotic War of 1812 and its heroes. Both ends of the external colonnade has two statues. One is that of Mikhail Barclay de Tolly (1761- 1818) and the other of Field Marshal Mikhail Kutuzov (1745- 1813). Kutuzov who was described in Leo Tolstoy's War and Peace is also buried here.

Kazan Cathedral was dedicated to the miracle working icon of Our Lady of Kazan. It is one of four most revered icons in Russia. Today it is kept inside, although its survival is a miracle of its own. During Communist period Kazan Cathedral was taken from Russian Orthodox Church and turned into Museum of Atheism. Icon of Kazan was preserved for its historic value. Fortunately in 1999 the church was returned back to its rightful owners and today it is open for believers and tourists alike. The interior of the Kazan Cathedral is similar to pagan Greek and Roman temples of antiquity. Pink granite columns surround the central main room of the church.

 

 

Anichkov Palace (Saint Petersburg)

39, Nevsky Prospekt

Subway: Nevsky Prospekt, Gostiny Dvor

Closed to the public

Anichkov Palace stands near Anichkov Bridge. It was commissioned in 1741 to architect Mikhail Zemtsov. At the time of its construction this palace was located at the outskirts of the old Saint Petersburg. The privacy was a must, since the new owner of the palace was Aleksey Razumovsky, secret husband of the empress. Elizabeth and Razumovsky or "Night Emperor" as he was known even had a child together, Duchness Tarakanova. The decorations of the palaces were completed by famous Francesco Bartolomeo Rastrelli who added Baroque decorations to the facade of the buildings.

New Empress Catherine II the Great gave Anichkov Palace to a new lover Grigoriy Potemkin who ordered its reconstruction in 1776- 78 under supervision of architect Ivan Starov. The whole building got a face life a new neo- classical facade that was quiet popular in a Russian capital at the time. After the October Revolution of 1917 it became a museum of the city and later as Leningrad's Pioneers' (Soviet Boys Scouts) Palace. Now it is named Palace of Youth Creativity and one of its wings holds Anichkov Lycee.

 

Mikhaylovskiy Castle (Saint Petersburg)

 

Sadovaya ulitsa 2

Tel. 570- 5112

Bus: 46, K-46, K-76

Open: 10am- 6pm Wed- Sun, 10am- 5pm Mon

Mikhaylovskiy Castle or Mikhaylovsky Castle also known as Engineer's Castle was built in 1797- 1801 under supervision of architects Vasiliy Bazhenov and Vincenzo Brenna. It was constructed for Russian Tsar Paul I who was obsessed of fears of assassination. His fears were probably influenced by unexpected death of his father Emperor Peter III. Additionally Emperor Paul loved romantic image of medieval period. He ordered construction of his new residence on a new location. He strategically choose a site of Saint Petersburg where Moyka (Moika) river and Fontanka river created natural barrier to a new palace that looked more like a medieval castle rather than a palace. Additionally Mikhaylovskiy Castle was surrounded by moats and drawbridges. Military guard would raise the bridges at night thus turning the land under the Mikhaylovskiy Castle into an island. Additionally engineers constructed a secret passageway to the military barracks on the Field of Mars.

However none of these careful precautions proved to be successful. Just 40 days after Emperor Paul moved in his new office in Mikhaylovskiy Castle he was assassinated by last former lover of his mother Empress Catherine II, Platon Zubov along with several others members of the Imperial Guard. Military conspiracy ring leaders got away with their crime, but their careers were over and the whole society shunned them. Today many of the caretakers of Michailovskiy Castle claim to see full body apparition of murdered Emperor Paul in a night gown. Eye witnesses claim that deceased monarch walks around his favorite residence with a candle in his hand, checking all the windows and doors for security.

After death of Paul I his son Alexander I the Blessed refused to live in the Mikhaylovskiy Palace. Some claim that he had something to do with the military conspiracy or at least was aware of the planned murder. Whatever might be the case moats were covered by earth, guards were removed and residence was given to the Guards Corps of Engineers. It trained many engineers including famous Russian writer Fyodor Dostoevsky. Today Mikhaylovskiy Palace is part of the State Russian Museum. A bronze statue of Peter the Great on horseback stands at the South facade of the castle. It was constructed by Bartolomeo Carlo Rastrello in 1747.

 

State Russian Museum (Saint Petersburg)

Inzhenernaya Ulitsa 4
Tel. 595- 4248
Tour office: 314- 3448
595- 4240
Closed: Tue
Subway: Nevsky Prospekt and Gostiny Dvor

State Russian Museum is the first and largest museum of Russian art. It contains a large collection of Russian paintings, sculptures, works of folk art from different periods of Russian history. State Russian Museum is located in the Mikhaylovskiy Palace that was constructed in 1819- 25 under supervision of architect Carlo Rossi under orders of Grand Duke Mikhail Pavlovich. This Neo- Classical residence was in private possession of various members of Romanov family until the late 19th century. In 1898 Tsar Nicholas II dedicated parts of Mikhaylovskiy Palace to a collection of Russian art that became known as State Russian Museum. Today it contains a huge collection of some of the best examples of Russian artists, sculptures, and etc that are also located in Mikhaylovskiy, Stroganov and Marble Palaces.

 

Alexandriinskiy Theatre (Saint Petersburg)

Subway: Gostinyy Dvor

www.theatremuseum.ru

Theatre Museum

Tel. 571 2195

Open: 11am- 6pm Thu- Mon, 1- 7pm Wed

Closed: last Friday each month, public holidays

 

Lutheran Church (Saint Petersburg)

Nevskiy Prospekt 22- 24

Subway: Nevskiy Prospekt

 

Academic Capella (Saint Petersburg)

Moyka river embankment 20

Tel. 314 1058

Subway: Nevskiy Prospekt

 

Imperial Stables (Saint Petersburg)

Konyushennaya Square 1

Open: 10am- 7pm daily

Pushkin House Museum (Saint Petersburg)

Moyka river Embankment 12

Tel. 571 3531

Open: 10am- 6pm Wed- Mon

Closed: last Friday each month, public holidays

Pushkin House Museum is a private townhouse that is most famous for its resident, A.S. Pushkin. He was and still remains the arguably the most popular poet in Russia. Original apartment building was constructed in the 1720's and originally belonged to Volkonsky family. They were a closed friends of Pushkin and later rented it to him during his last years of life. Here in his house on Moyka he finished "The Captain's Daughter", "History of Peter the Great" and numerous poems. From here A.S. Pushkin went to his final duel with George Dantes in 1837 where he was killed. Pushkin returned to his home and soon he died here. Shortly after death of a poet, his house was turned into a house museum. Today its houses a great collection of personal belongings, furniture, writings and even drawings that Pushkin made himself. On 10 February admirers of A.S. Pushkin come to Pushkin House Museum to honor his memory with a minute of silence.

 

Vorontsov Palace (Saint Petersburg)

26, Ulitsa Sadovaya

Subway: Gostiny Dvor/Nevsky Prospekt

Closed to the Public

Vorontsov Palace was constructed in 1749- 57 for Prince Mikhail Vorontsov, who was one of the most distinguished ministers of Empress Elizabeth. It was designed by Bartolomeo Rastrelli.

In 1810 Vorontsov Palace was turned into a prestigious Corps des Pages. This most exclusive Russian military school or academy trained the best officers for the Russian army. Its graduates included several Decembrists as well as Prince Felix Yusupov and many others. In 1918 the school was closed and instead Vorontsov Palace became home to Suvorov Military Academy for young military officers.

 

Stroganov Palace (Saint Petersburg)

17, Nevsky Prospekt

Subway: +7 (812) 571-8238

Tel. +7 (812) 571-8238

Open: daily 10am- 6pm (10am- 5pm on Monday)

Closed: Tuesday

Stroganov Palace is one of the best examples of Russian Baroque architecture, designed by the famous architect Rastrelli. Facade of this large white and pink building is covered by beautiful moldings and statues. Stroganov Palace has over 50 rooms, a central hall and a gallery with high mirrors and sculptures. The entrance to its magnificent residence is decorated with coats of arms of Stroganov (Stroganoff) family. New owners of Stroganov Palace were so famous, they paid a large sum as well as a portrait painted by artist Rotary.

The interior of Stroganov Palace hasn't change through time, yet the exterior have changed several times. At various times it was painted pink, brick- red, green. In the end of the 20th century Stroganov Palace was turned into a part of a Russian Museum. Today it holds a gallery of wax figures of the people who often visited the estate. Additionally exhibits from the Russian Museum are commonly held in Stroganov Palace.

 

Anichkov Bridge (Saint Petersburg)

Location: Nevsky Prospect

Anichkov Bridge along Nevsky Prospect is one of the most famous bridges in the city. Its most distinct feature is a figure of four horses with men trying to tame them.

 

Beloselsky-Belozersky Palace (Saint Petersburg)

41, Nevsky Prospekt

Subway: Nevsky Prospekt/Gostiny Dvor or Dostoevskaya/Vladimirskaya

Tel. +7 (812) 515-5236

Open for concerts

Beloselsky- Belozersky Palace or Serievsky Palace stands on the corner of Nevsky Prospekt and Fontanka River near Anichkov Bridge. It was constructed in 1847- 48 by architect A. Stakenschneider on a place of an older palace. Construction was commissioned by Duke K.E. Beloselky- Belozersky and thus the buildings carries his name today. Sculptures that make the distinguished feature of this former private residence was constructed by D.I. Jensen.

 

Nikolaevsky Palace (Saint Petersburg)

4, Ploshchad Truda

Subway: Gostiny Dvor/Nevsky Prospekt

Closed to the Public

 

Russian Ethnography Museum (Saint Petersburg)

4/1, Inzhenernaya Ulitsa, 191011

Subway: Nevsky Prospekt or Gostiny Dvor

Tel. +7 (812) 219-1710

Open: Tue- Sun 11am- 6pm

Closed: Monday

 

Mariinsky Palace (Saint Petersburg)

6, Isaskievskaya Ploshchad

Subway: Gostiny Dvor/Nevsky Prospekt

Closed to Public

 

Grand Hotel Europe (Saint Petersburg)

Mikhaylovskaya ulitsa 1/7

Tel. 329 6000

Subway: Nevskiy Prospekt, Gostinyy Dvor

 

Armenian Church (Saint Petersburg)

Nevskiy Prospekt 40-42

Tel. 318 4108

Subway: Gostinyy Dvor

Open: 9am- 9pm

 

Gostinyy Dvor (Saint Petersburg)

Nevskiy Prospekt 35

Tel. 710 5408

Subway: Gostinyy Dvor

Open: 10am- 10pm daily

Open: 10am- 6pm Wed- Sun, 10am- 5pm Mon

 

 

Sennaya Ploshchad (Saint Petersburg)

 

Trinity Cathedral (Saint Petersburg)

The history of a Trinity Cathedral began on July 12, 1733 when large field tent was erected here for the soldiers and officers of the Ismailovsky Regiment of the Russian army. First permanent wooden church was constructed here in 1754- 56. Flood of 1824 damaged it beyond repair and a new Russian Emperor Nicholas I ordered the construction of a new Trinity Izmailovsky Cathedral between 1828 and 1835.

 

New Holland Island (Saint Petersburg)

New Holland is a small artificial island in the historic center of Saint Petersburg that covers a total area of 59000 square meters. It was formed in 1717 when contractor Kryukov constructed a new artificial Kryukov Canal that transverses Admiralty Canal and Moika River and connected to Neva River.

New Holland was named so by Emperor Peter the Great himself. He spent several months working various trades incognito in Amsterdam in Holland. Saint Petersburg in general was designed as a large version of the city. And this artificial island in particular reminded him about Holland. He transferred this island to the newly formed Russian Admiralty and on 21 September 1721 New Holland became the first military port of Saint Petersburg and Russia. Initially it was used as a minor shipyard for construction of smaller rowing boats. In 1732 Admiralty ordered architect Ivan Korobkov to design a network of channels and a complex of warehouses to fit needs of the Navy.

Over the course of several centuries the compound was enlarged, new warehouses were added to served Russian Navy.. In 1788 New Holland got its most distinct and distinguishable feature, New Holland Arch. It was designed by Jean- Baptiste Vallin de la Mothe in Neo- Classical architectural style flanked by Tuscan columns made from red granite.

In the 19th century New Holland was expended again. In 1828- 29 new navy prison was constructed and small pond was enlarged in 1893 to fit requirements of the new testing grounds for the navy. Aleksei Krylov used this basin for testing new models of ships between 1900 and 1908. He became world famous scientist in study of survivability of ships in extreme conditions including military actions as well as extreme forces of nature. During World War I the most powerful radio station in Imperial Russian was constructed here. After monarchy and democratic governments were overthrown by the Bolsheviks they used this radio station in information war with anti- Soviet forces of general P.I. Krasnov.

After completion of the Russian Civil War New Holland was abandoned as new technologies couldn't fit into fairly small testing facilities of the island. Today it serves as a museum of historic and architectural significance.

 

Railway Museum (Saint Petersburg)

Sadovaya ulitsa 50

Tel. 315 1476

Subway: Sennaya Ploschchad, Sadovaya

Open: 11am- 5pm Sun- Thu

 

Main Post Office (Saint Petersburg)

Pochtamtskaya ulitsa 9

Tel. 312 8302

Bus: 3, 22

Trolley: 5, 22

St. Nicholas’ Cathedral (Saint Petersburg)

Nikolskaya ploshchad 1/3
Tel. 714- 7085
Metro: Sennaya

Naval Cathedral of Saint Nicholas or simply known as Sailors' Cathedral stands on the shores of Kryukov Canal. First wooden church was erected here in 1743. At the time it was an area where sailors and navy officers lived and since Saint Nicholas was considered to be a protector of fishermen and sailors it was logical choice to build a cathedral in his honor. Stone Cathedral of Saint Nicholas was constructed in 1753- 62 during reign of Empress Elizabeth and the project was supervised by admiralty architect Savva Chevakinsky.

The main relic of Saint Nicholas Cathedral is an old Greek icon of Saint Nicholas (17th century) with a part of his bone. It is situated in the lower church. In 1875 merchant Hosea Tupikov bought small part of land adjacent to the church and opened a public park. In 1908 a monument was erected dedicated to the officers and sailors who died at he disastrous battle of Tsushima on 15 May 1905 on the battleship "Emperor Alexander III". Since then Saint Nicholas Cathedral became a place of remembrance of sailors who died during Russian- Japanese War of 1904- 05. Memorial plaques that you might see here are dedicated to them.

Saint Nicholas Cathedral is still open to Eastern Orthodox service. In 2000 another memorial plate was added in dedication to sailors and officers who died aboard of submarine "Kursk".

 

Yusupov Palace (Saint Petersburg)

Reki Moiki Naberezhnaya 94
Tel. 314- 9883, 314- 8893

Open: 11am- 5pm daily
Bus: 3, 10, 22, 27

Yusupov Palace is a famous residence of Duke Felix Yusupov on Moika river embankment. It is particularly famous for the murder of Gregory Rasputin by Duke Yusupov along with his co- conspirators.

 

Mariinsky Theater (Saint Petersburg)

Image of Mariinsky Theater


Teatralnaya Ploshchad 1
Tel. 326- 4141
714- 1211
Bus: 3, 22, 27

 

Rimsky- Korsakov Conservatory (Saint Petersburg)

Teatralnaya Square 3

Tel. 312 2519

Bus: 3, 22, 27

Trolley: 5, 22

 

Vasilevskiy Island (Saint Petersburg)

 

Kunstkammer (Saint Petersburg)

Universitetskaya Naberezhnaya 3
Tel. 328- 1412
Closed: Mon & last Tues of month
Bus: 7, 10, 47, K-47, K-128, K-147, K-187, K-209
Trolleybus: 1, 7,10
Metro: Vasileostrovskaya

www.kunstkamera.ru

Baroque blue and white facade of Kunstkammer is clearly distinguished along banks of Neva river. Kunstkammer was constructed in 1718- 34 by the order of Russian Emperor Peter the Great and under supervision of architect Georg Mattarnoviy. It became the first Russian museum in Saint Petersburg and all of the Russian Empire. Peter the Great was greatly influenced by the things he saw while traveling throughout Western Europe. He was particularly impressed by anatomical lectures of Frederik Ruysch (1638- 1731) in Holland. On several occasions Emperor himself participated in dissections of human bodies, huge step for a Eastern Orthodox monarch. Upon return to Russia Peter the Great purchased anatomical collection of over 2000 items of preparations. Later he added a heart and a skeleton of his personal servant "Bourgeois", a giant that towered at 2.27m (7.5 feet) as well as a collection of teeth that Emperor extracted himself. Peter learned many trades throughout his life, but dental work gave him particular satisfaction.

 

Kunstkammer contains a large collection of mutated children that died in woman's uterus or shortly after their birth. The sign of these dead children was so horrible to the sensitive Russian public of the time that Peter ordered every visitor to drink a glass of free vodka before entering the museum. Today this bizarre collection is housed in the rotunda of the building. The rest of the museum house the Museum of Anthropology and Ethnography. It exhibits human skeletons and ancient tools that were discovered all over Russia and former USSR. Some of the ancient tribes discovered in Russia have striking African and Asian  physical features implying that mixture of cultures and races occurred by earlier than we would expect. Other exhibitions display artefacts brought from different cultures around the World.

 

Keep in mind that Kunstkammer holds a particular spot in a Russian culture. It is famous as the country's first museum as well as for its bizarre collection of mutants. So expect long line. The best time to come here is really early before the lines start to form.

 

Naval Museum (Saint Petersburg)

Birzhevaya ploshad

Trolley 1, 7, 10      Bus: 7, 10, 47, K-47, K-128, K-147, K-187, K-209, K-252

Open: 11am- 6pm Wed- Sun

www.museum.navy.ru 

Naval Museum of Saint Petersburg that stands on the tip (or Strelka - Russian for 'arrow' of Vasilevsky Island is one of the oldest museums in Russia and one of the largest maritime museum in the World. It was found in 1709 by the orders of Emperor Peter I the Great as a Museum Model Camera for storage of collection of drawings and models of marine vessels.

For a while it served as a Stock Exchange (Birzha) thus its still sometimes referred as Birzha. Naval Museum of Saint Petersburg was constructed in 1805- 10 under supervision of architect Thomas de Thomon who used Roman ancient pagan temples of Paestrum as a raw models for his building. Top of the building Neo- classical facade features Roman god Neptune, ruler of the sea, drawn by a chariot with sea horses, reflecting naval obsession of Emperor Peter I, founder of Saint Petersburg.

Naval Museum of Saint Petersburg contains a large collection devoted to Russian and Soviet military fleets. One of the oldest items include botik or a small raw boat. It is called as 'grandfather of Russian fleet' and was owned by Peter the Great himself. He used botik to learn how to sail. His first attempts were taken up in small lakes and streams. Later he took botik in the sea.

 

Menshikov’s Palace (Saint Petersburg)

Universitetskaya Naberezhnaya 15
Tel. 328- 1112

Open: 10:30am- 6pm Tue- Sat, 10:30am- 5pm Sun
Closed: Mon
Bus: 7, 187
Trolleybus: 1, 10
Metro: Vasileostrovskaya

Menshikov's Palace is one of the first palaces in Saint Petersburg and the only such structure from the time of Peter the Great. Its original owner Count Menshikov was a son of a peasant. He met future emperor Peter the Great while selling pirogi at the market. They became best friends. Throughout life Menshikov was by Peter's side during lavish parties and at the battle field.

As you walk through its maze of corridors and numerous rooms you can see a whole transformation from medieval Russian life to opulent beauty of European palace. Overall external appearance of Menshikov's Palace is that of Baroque architectural style with a small park adjacent to the building. Menshikov's Palace stretches for 210 meters along the bank of Neva river. At the time of its construction it was one of the stone buildings in the area. There were no bridges either. Menshikov used a boat to get across Neva river to see his friend and Emperor Peter the Great. The main building of Menshikov's Palace is a two storey building with two adjacent wings- pavilions. One is reserved for house church while another is reserved for Japanese pavilion. After Menshikov's Palace was turned to the state it served as a school for Royal pages and later officers of the Russian army.

 

Saint Andrew's Cathedral (Андреевский Собор) (Saint Petersburg)

6-ya liniya (street) 11

Tel. 323 3418

Bus: 7, 128, K129

Trolley: 10

 

Lieutenant Shmidt Bridge (Saint Petersburg)

Bus: K-62, K-124, K-144, K-154, K-186, K-222, K-350

Trolley: 1, 11

 

Rostral Columns (Saint Petersburg)

Birzhevaya Ploschchad

Bus: 7, 10, 47, K-47, K-128, K- 129, K- 147, K- 187, K- 228, K- 252

Trolley: 1, 7, 10

Rostral Columns are two large columns that stand on a Strelka ('arrow' in Russian) of a Vasilevskiy (or Vasilievsky) Island. The name 'rostral' comes from a Latin rostrum or nose of a ship. In the ancient times of a Ancient Roman Empire bronze rams were taken from the rams of defeated ships and placed on columns as a sign of victory. The same tradition continued in Imperial Russia. Rostral Columns became a symbolic commemoration of Russian naval victories.

These Rostral Columns were designed as a lighthouse in 1810 under supervision of Thomas de Thomon. Originally oil lamps were placed on top to bring light to ships. Later these were replaced by gas lamps. At the bottom of Rostral Columns you can see four symbolic figures that represent four important Russian rivers: Neva, Volga, Dnieper and Volkhov.

 

Zoological Museum (Saint Petersburg)

Universitetskaya Naberezhnaya 1/3

Tel. 328 0112

Bus: 7, 10, 47, K- 47, K- 128, K- 129, K- 147, K- 187

Trolley: 1, 7, 10

Open: 11am- 6pm Sat- Thu

Free on Thursdays

Zoological Museum of Saint Petersburg is housed in a building that once served as customs warehouse adjacent to the port of the city. It was constructed in 1826 under supervision of Italian architect Giovanni Lucchini. Today it houses one of the largest natural history collection that contains over 1.5 million specimens of various animals collected from all over the World. Some of the oldest items date back to the time of Peter the Great who started this collection. In fact one of the animals include personal horse of the Russian emperor who rode him into the Battle of Poltava against Swedish king. Another famous part of the collection is a giant mammoth. His carcass was discovered in Siberian tundra in 1902. It date almost 44,000 years ago, but it is well preserved due to frigid temperatures that surrounded him.

 

Twelve Colleges (Saint Petersburg)

Universitetskaya Naberezhnaya 7

Bus: 7, 47, K- 47, K- 128, K- 129, K- 147

Trolley: 1, 10

Closed: to public

Building of Twelve Colleges was constructed in 1723- 43 under supervision of Italian architect Domenico Trezzini. This beautiful red and white stuccoed brisk structure measure 400 m (1300 feet) in length. Its single uninterrupted facade was intended to show unity of 12 colleges of ministries of the government that worked together as one organism.

In 1819 part of the buildings was bought by Saint Petersburg University. It was considered one of the best universities in the country and throughout Europe. Its graduated included Vladimir Lenin, revolutionary and a founder of Soviet Union. Other famous included professor Dmitriy Mendeleev (1834- 1907) founder of periodic table of elements and father of a Russian Vodka. As far as we know there was no connection between two discoveries, but who are we kidding.

Other notable professor included physiologist Ivan Pavlov (1849- 1936) famous for his experiments with dogs and reflexes.

 

Academy of Arts (Академия Художеств) (Saint Petersburg)

Universitetskaya naberezhnaya 17

Tel. 323 3578

Bus: 7, 47, K129, K147

Trolley: 10

Open: 11am- 6pm Wed- Sun

 

 

 

Petrogradskaya (Saint Petersburg)

 

Zayachy Island (Hare Island) and Petrogradskaya

 

Petrogradskaya side of Saint Petersburg gets its name from a brief period when German sounding Saint Petersburg (City of Peter) was changed to Russian sounding Petrograd. It occurred during years of World War I when Russian Empire began to change many historical German names. Saint Petersburg didn't escape its fate. Hence most of buildings on this side date back to the beginning of the 20th century. Saint Peter and Paul Fortress that stands on Zayachy Island dates back to the early 18th century. It was one of the first parts of Saint Petersburg that were constructed by city founder Emperor Peter the Great.

 

Zayachy Island (Hare Island) is located at the widest point of the Neva River. Its strategic position allowed massive land cannons to hit all incoming ships, while remaining at a significant distance for the naval guns to do a significant damage to the fortress. Zayachy Island is measured at 750 meters by 400 meters. Its name comes from a Finnish tribes that called Zayachy Island Ennissaari ("Yenisei"- a hare, "Saari"- island). Later Swedes that expanded into these lands called it Lyustgolm (Happy Island), Lust Eiland (Funland) and Toyfelsgolm (Devil's Island). After Saint Peter and Paul fortress was constructed, it was called simply Krepostonoy Island (Fortress Island).  Only in the 19th century it was renamed to Zayachy Island as a reference to the original Finnish name. Nowadays one of the pillars of Saint John bridge that lead to Saint Peter and Paul Fortress has a small figure "Bunny, escaping from the flood" in height of 58 cm.

 

Saint Peter and Paul Fortress (Saint Petersburg)

Image of St. Peter and Paul Fortress

Saint Peter and Paul Fortress is situated on the Zayachi (Hare) Island and makes the nucleus of the historic part of Saint Petersburg. Stronghold was founded in May 1703 thus marking beginning of the city. Russian Emperor Peter I the Great designed Peter and Paul Fortress himself. It contains 6 bastions connected by curtains of defensive walls, 2 ravelins, crownwork as well as earth ramparts. In 1730s and 1740's base of the citadel was covered by stone slabs. Despite its impressive fortifications it was never used in military engagement. Instead it was used as a high ranking prison for political and criminal prisoners. Despite its close proximity to the banks of Neva river no one ever succeeded in escaping from this prison.

 

Some of the most famous inmates what were incarcerated here included Tsarevich Alexei, only surviving son of Peter I. Young prince disapproved of many of reforms of his father and secretly hoped to overturn many of them upon ascension to the throne. He further infuriated his father by marrying a simple peasant girl. Peter tortured his own son within walls of the fortress and eventually ordered his execution.

 

Another famous prisoners included famous princess Tarakanova. Her origins remain unclear, however she claimed to be a daughter of Empress Elizabeth and thus had right to the Russian throne. Catherine the Great that ruled over Russian Empress was of German origin and deposed her own husband. Although few people in Europe honestly believed that Russian Empress Elizabeth had any unknown children, Tarakonva became a good card in the hands of European monarchs to take control of the Russian throne. Polish opposition that fled Poland after it became part of the Russian Empire seized the opportunity and invested large sums of money into solidifying myth of a Russian princess. The situation became too dangerous and Empress Catherine ordered special operation led by Duke Tolstoy to the shores of Italy. There he convinced princess Tarakanova to marry him on one of the Russian ships. Once woman came to the battleship she was arrested and delivered to Russian capital of Saint Petersburg. There she was imprisoned until her alleged death. Few people believed that she died and several eye witnesses later claimed to see a nun who was none other but princess Tarakanova.

 

After Decembrist Uprising was put down in 1825 its organisers were kept here and five of them were executed by the order of a new Emperor Nicholas I. Other famous "residents" of the main prison in Russian Empire included writers Nikolai Chernyshevsky, Maxim Gorky and many others. Fyodor Dostoyevsky spent several days in Ravelin after he was caught along with his friends for participation in an anti- government plot. All of them were sentenced to die by hanging for high treason. On a day of the execution he was taken out of his prison cell and led to the gallows. However in the last second when Dostoyevsky was certain his life is about to end a messenger arrived proclaiming that all the conspirators were pardon by the emperor and new punishment involved exile to Siberia. Dostoyevsky later described this scene in his famous book "Idiot" as a story that Prince Myshkin tells to his aunt and her daughters.

 

Cathedral of SS Peter and Paul (Saint Petersburg)

Location: Peter and Paul Fortress

Subway: Gorkovskaya, Sportivnaya

Open: 10am- 6pm daily, 11am- 6pm Sat, 10am- 5:45pm Sun

The Cathedral of Apostles Saint Peter and Saint Paul is the oldest church in Saint Petersburg. First wooden church on this site was consecrated on April 1st, 1704. Current stone structure was designed by architect Trizini and consecrated on June 29, 1733. Cathedral bell tower consists of tiers topped by a gilded spire with an angel with a cross at the top. At a height of 122.5 meters it is also the tallest building in the central historic centre of Saint Petersburg.

Cathedral of Peter and Paul has Baroque interior. Its iconostasis was made in a shape of a single arch in 1722- 26 by a group of artisans under supervision of a Moscow arhicted I.P. Zarudny.  In addition the central church of the fortress also serves as a burial ground for all Russian Emperors from the dynasty of Romanov starting with Peter the Great. Several grand dukes are also buried in the Grand Princes Tomb that was completed in 1906. The During World War II workers had to cover golden roof with grey protective color to hide it from German Luftwaffe pilots. After the war the church got back its golden cover as a symbol of an unconquered city. The last burial in Cathedral of Saint Peter and Paul occurred in 1999. The last Russian Emperor Nicholas II with his family were finally entombed with the rest their family. During Russian Revolution of 1917 they were arrested and in July 1918 they all were executed. Their remains were discovered and analyzed in the 1990's. Once it became clear that the remains actually belonged to the Royal Family Russian president Boris Eltsin ordered their burial in the family church.

 

Saint Peter's Gate (Saint Petersburg)

Petropavlovskaya Krepost

Subway: Gorkovskaya

Bus: 46, K-46, K-63, K-73

 

Engineer's house (Saint Petersburg)

Petropavlovskaya Krepost

Tel. 232 9454, 230 0329

Subway: Gorkovskaya

Open: 11am- 5pm Thu- Mon, 11am- 4pm Tue

www.spbmuseum.ru

 

Neva Gate (Saint Petersburg)

Petropavlovskaya Krepost

Subway: Gorkovskaya

 

Peter the Great’s Cottage (Saint Petersburg)

Petrovskaya Naberezhnaya 6
Tel. 232- 4576, 314- 0374

Open: 10am- 5:30pm Wed- Sun
Closed: Tues & last Mon. of month

Private residence of Russian tsar Peter is one of the oldest buildings in the city. It was constructed probably by imprisoned military Swedish engineers over 300 years ago long before most of the buildings that surround it ever existed. The place was well chosen. From here Peter the Great could keep an eye on strategic movement of his fleet and construction of his future capital.

 

Artillery Museum (Saint Petersburg)

Alexandrovskiy Park 7, Kronverk

Tel. 232 0296

Subway: Gorkovskaya

Open: 11am- 5pm Wed- Sun

Closed: last Sunday each month

Artillery Museum of Saint Petersburg is located in the historic Kronverk Fortress on the Petrogradskaya side of the city near Peter and Paul Fortress. First Artillery pieces were simply dumped here in 1703 after they were damaged in battles or during trials. First orderly Artillery Museum was established on this spot in 1756 to give collection of artillery pieces some historic order and value. Today Artillery Museum of Saint Petersburg greatly expanded. It houses a vast collection of military artifacts ranging from ancient guns, medieval guns as well as modern long- range missiles from the 20th century. The whole collection is located in 13 halls inside the main building. In November 2002 Artillery Museum opened open air museum in the courtyard of Kronverk. It keeps a collection of heavy weapons including tanks, armored personnel carriers, missiles, artillery pieces. Artillery Museum periodically hosts various exhibitions, lectures and excursions.

 

Kirov Museum (Saint Petersburg)

Kamennoostrovskiy prospekt 26- 28, 4th floor

Tel. 346 0217, 346 0289

Subway: Petrogradskaya

Open: 11am- 6pm Thu- Tue

www.spbmuseum.ru

Commandant's House (Saint Petersburg)

Petropavlovskaya Krepost

Tel. 232 9454

Subway: Gorkovskaya

Open: 10am- 6pm Thu- Mon, 11am- 4pm Tue

 

Trubetskoy Bastion (Saint Petersburg)

Petropavlovskaya Krepost

Tel. 232 9454

Subway: Gorkovskaya

Open: 10am- 6pm Thu- Mon, 11am- 5pm Tue

 

Engineer's House (Saint Petersburg)

Petropavlovskaya krepost

Tel. 322 9454, 230 0329

Subway: Gorkovskaya

Tel. 11am- 5pm Thu- Mon, 11am- 4pm Tue

www.spbmuseum.ru

 

Aurora (Saint Petersburg)

Gorkovskaya

Open: 10:30am- 4pm
Closed: Monday and Friday

Admission: Free

Legendary cruiser 1st rank Aurora, that became a symbol of Saint Petersburg  is moored at the Petrograd embankment. It was originally launched on May 11, 1900 as part of renovation for the Russian Imperial Fleet. It participated in the disastrous Battle of Tsushima on May 1905 during Russian- Japanese War. Aurora was one of few Russian ships that survived that battle and that war. Aurora became most famous during the Great October Revolution of 1917 at the conclusion of World War I. Most of crew deserted the ship at the time, but few remaining sailors, who sympathizers with the Bolshevik stayed. They fired a single shot that marked the beginning of the open overthrow of the Democratic government by the Bolsheviks who promptly stormed the Winter Palace. It began Communist rule in Russia that later led to establishment of USSR. After World War I Aurora was transformed into a training navy ship. It was called into service during Siege of Leningrad during World War II. After the war Aurora was transformed into a historic museum open to the public.

 

Alexandrovskiy Park (Saint Petersburg)

Kronverkskiy prospekt

Subway: Gorkovskaya

 

Kshesinskaya Manstion (Saint Petersburg)

Ulitsa Kuybysheva 4

Tel. 233 7052

Subway: Gorkovskaya

Open: 10am- 6pm Fri- Wed

 

Krestovsky Island (Saint Petersburg)

 

Kamennoostrovsky Palace (Saint Petersburg)

1, Naberezhnaya Reki Maloy Nevki

Subway: Chernaya Rechka

Closed to the public

 

 

Saint Petersburg Suburbs (Saint Petersburg)

 

Yelagin Palace (Saint Petersburg)

4, Yelagin Ostrov

Subway: Krestovskiy Ostrov

Tel. +7 (812) 430-1131

Open: 10am- 6pm daily (ticket office till 5pm)

Closed: Mondays, last Tuesday of each month

Yelagin Summer palace stands on one of the islands in the North- west region of St. Petersburg. It was commissioned in 1818 by tsar Alexander I as a residence for his mother Empress Maria Fyodorovna. Her former home of Pavlovsk was too far by the standards of the time. Its architect, young Carlo Rossi, became the head of the project. The name of the palace comes from the family of Ivan Yelagin, Russian historian and poet during reign of Catherine II the Great, those lands were bought by the Imperial Family.

The palace complex consists of the main building, three pavilions, kitchen, stables and a garden that surrounds it. After death of Maria Fyodorovna the Yelagin Palace was transferred to Duchess Yuryevskaya and her children. She was a morganatic wife of Alexander II. After the Russian Revolution of 1917 and establishment of USSR the palace became the summer residence of Soviet Prime Minister. During German occupation the palace was badly damaged by the Nazi troops. It was subsequently restored after the war in 1950's. In 1987 Yelagin Palace was turned into the Museum of Decorative and Applied Art and Interiors of the 18th- 20th century.

 

Dostoevsky Memorial Museum (Saint Petersburg) 

5/2, Kuznechny Pereulok

Subway: Dostoevskaya

Tel. +7 (812) 764-6950

Open: Tue- Sun 11am- 6pm (ticket office close 1 hr before closing)

Closed: Mondays, public holidays

Dostoevsky Memorial Museum is situated in a former apartment building that was once inhabited by this famous Russian writer. Current area around the house underwent dramatic change over the course of last couple of decades. New houses were erected, flowers were planted, new parks were open. But in the late 19th century this area around Obvodnoy Channel was an outskirt of Saint Petersburg. Some of the poorest residents of the city lived and here and many were the prototypes for characters in Dostoyevsky books like "Crime and Punishment", "Notes from the Underground" and many others.

 

Smolniy Monastery (Saint Petersburg)

 

Ploshad Rastrelli 3/1

Tel. 577 142

Bus: 46, 136, K0 76

Open: 10am- 5pm Tue- Thu

 

Smolnyy Institute (Saint Petersburg)

Ploshchad Proletarskoy Diktatury

Tel. 276 1746, 576 7461

Bus: 22, 46, 136 K-15, K-129, K-136, K-147

Trolley: 5, 7, 15, 16, 49

Smolnyy Museum

Open: 11am- 4pm Mon- Fri

 

Chesme Church (Saint Petersburg)

Image of Chesme Church

Petrogradskaya Naberezhnaya 3

Tel. 230- 8440

Bus: 14          Trolley: 3, 6, 40

Open: 10:30am- 4pm Tue- Thu, Sat- Sun

Chesme Church is one of the most unique and colourful religious structures in Saint Petersburg. It was designed by German Russian court architect Yury Felton to commemorate 10th anniversary of the naval victory at Chesme Bay in 1770.

 

Finland Station (Saint Petersburg)

Ploshchad Lenina 6

Subway: Ploshchad Lenina

Finland Station is a major railroad station in Saint Petersburg serving the October Railway. It is famous for its rich history and several memorials established on its grounds. Finland Station was designed by a renowned architect Peter Kapinsky and opened in 1870. During Soviet period Finland Station didn't loose its importance. It was greatly expanded and modernized to fit growing population of people living in Saint Petersburg.

While it certainly an interesting building from the architectural point of view, it is most famous for historic events that took place in Saint Petersburg during Russian Revolution of 1917. Vladimir Lenin returned from years of exile in Western Europe back to Russia in 1917 on the eve of the October Revolution. He was transported in a cattle wagon across all front lines (it happened during World War I) and came to Finland Station. It was not really a big secret that this happened due to official agreement of German Empire today and certainly it wasn't a secret back then. Nevertheless people were tired of war and economic downturn. Lenin who came from forced exile was viewed by many as a fresh breeze of air. Here he made his famous speech making numerous promises to Russian people.

In 1920's this speech was commemorate by a monument and thirty years later Soviet authorities place a locomotive on the platform. It was claimed that this was an actual locomotive that brought Lenin to Saint Petersburg. Even today Finland Station is a modern transport hub that is passed by more than 1,500 passengers per hour. It is also a great place to use internet, check your e- mail and charge electronic devices.

 

Piskarevskoe Memorial Cemetery (Saint Petersburg)

Prospekt Nepokorennykh 74

Tel. 247 5716

Subway: Akademicheskaya

Bus: 123, 178

Open: daily

 

Stieglitz Museum (Saint Petersburg)

Solyanoy Pereulok 13

Tel. 273 3258

Bus: 46

Trolley: 90

Open: 11am- 4:30pm Tue- Sat, Aug- May

 

Cathedral of the Transfiguration  (Saint Petersburg)

Preobrazhenskaya ploshchad 1

Tel 272 3663

Subway: Chernyshevskaya

Bus: 46, K-15, K-76

Trolley: 3, 8, 15

Open: 8am- 8pm daily

 

Dostoevsky House- Museum (Saint Petersburg)

Kuznechnyy pereulok 5/2

Tel. 571 4031

Subway: Vladimirskaya

Trolley: 3, 8, 15

Open: 11am- 6pm Tue- Sun

 

Victory Monument (Saint Petersburg)

Ploshchad Pobedy

Tel. 293 6563

Subway: Moskovskaya

Memorial Hall

Open: 10am- 6pm Thu, Sat- Mon

10am- 5pm Tue and Fri

Closed: last Tuesday of each month

Sheremetev Palace (Saint Petersburg)

 

34, Naberezhnaya Reki Fontanki

Subway: Nevsky Prospekt/Gostiny Dvor

Tel. +7 (812) 272-4441

Open: Wed- Sun 12- 7pm

Closed: Mondays and Tuesdays

Sheremetev Palace is a Baroque palace on the bank of Fontanka River. Its location gives this beautiful building its alternative name of the "Fountain House". The land where Sheremetev Palace stands today was donated to Count Boris Sheremetev by emperor Peter the Great himself for his service. Count loved music and theater and he quickly turned his mansion into a private theater with a troupe of serf actors. During different periods Sheremetev Palace was visited by A.S. Pushkin, V.Zhukovsky, M. Glinka, A. Turgenev and many other famous Russian who made a significant addition to Russian and World culture.

While the external appearance of Sheremetev Palace hasn't changed much since the 18th century, its internal layout and various furniture did not survive to our day. Contemporaries state the estate of Sheremetev family boasted richness of beautiful paintings, textiles, silverware and other artifacts brought from all over Europe. Most of these items were stolen during Russian Revolution of 1917 (started in Saint Petersburg) when revolutionaries stormed Sheremetev Palace and confiscated it from its last rightful owner Sergei Sheremetev. Sailors, soldiers and regular residents of Saint Petersburg carried away most of the things they could take with them. In the early 1990's Sheremetev Palace was turned into a Museum of Theatre and Music. Its collection of musical instruments number over 300 artifacts including harps, violins, viols, harpsichord and many others. Sheremetev Palace also houses a literary Memorial Museum of Anna Akhmatova, famous Russian poetess that lived here between 1942 and 1952

 

Tavrichesky Palace (Tauride Palace) (Saint Petersburg)

47, Shpalernaya Ulitsa

Subway: Chernyshevskaya

Closed to the public

Tavrichesky Palace or Tauride Palace was designed and constructed by Ivan Stratov by the orders of Empress Catherine the Great for her favourite and a lover Prince Grigory Potemkin. It was called Tavrichesky to honour its new owner who recently helped Empress to acquire Crimean peninsula in the modern day Ukraine. In the ancient times it was known as land of Tauris. Since antiquity was quiet popular at the time it is natural that the Greek name stuck after Prince Potemkin who added a nickname "Tavrichesky" to his last name. The palace was given as a gift by the Catherine to his son Paul after Potemkin's death in 1791. Future Emperor Paul despised lover of his mother so much that he turned beautiful residence into stables for his horses. In 1906 Tavrichesky Palace was transferred to the Russia's first Parliament, known as Duma. After the Revolution château served as a college for top level Communist bureaucrats. Today Tavrichesky Palace serves as a Interparliamentary Assembly of the Commonwealth of Independent States so it is closed to the public.

 

Alexander Nevsky Lavra (Monastery) (Saint Petersburg)

Ploshchad Aleksandra Nevskovo

Tel. 274 2635, 274 1124

Subway: Ploshchad Aleksandra Nevskogo

Bus: 8, 27, 46

Trolley: 1, 14, 16, 22

Holy Trinity Cathedral

Open: 6am- 8pm daily

Church of the Annunciation

Tel. 274 2635

Open: 9:30am- 5pm (6pm in winter months)

Closed: Mondays and Thursdays

Alexander Nevsky Lavra or Monastery was constructed in the 18th century on a site of historic victory of Russian medieval prince Alexander Nevsky over Swedish army in 1240. During medieval period this area was a far border of the Novgorod Republic. Prince Alexander Nevsky was hired to protect these lands against Swedish forces that sailing up Neva river. Here they set a large military camp. Novgorod Republic was caught by a surprise, but young Alexander Nevsky decided not wait for mobilization of Novgorod residents. Instead he attacked Swedish forces and dealt a decisive and fairly simple victory on troops that were not prepared for a battle.

Alexander Nevsky Lavra (Monastery) was built during rule of Peter the Great shortly he established Saint Petersburg on the banks of Neva. It was built in 1715 under supervision and design of architect D. Trezini. Later a school was opened to local children of clergy that later became the Theological Academy. Additionally there was a school that restored old crafts including production of sophisticated jewelry, icons, miniatures and many others. In 1797 Alexander Nevsky Monastery received a status of Lavra. After the main church of the monastery was consecrated, remains of Alexander Nevsky were moved here.

Alexander Nevsky Monastery complex contains several cemeteries including Lazarevskoye, Tikhvin, Saint Nicholas and Cossack cemeteries.

 

Alexander Nevsky Lavra Cemetery (Saint Petersburg)

Alexander Nevsky Lavra Cemetery is a small cemetery adjacent to Alexander Nevsky Lavra or Moanstery. Nevertheless it is famous as the resting place of some of the most famous figures in Russian history. Dostoyevsky, Tchaikovsky and many other notable people in Russian history are buried here.

 

Chesmenskiy Palace (Saint Petersburg)

 

Location: 15 Ulitsa Gastello

Subway: Moskovskaya

Closed to the public

Chesmenskiy Palace or Chesma Palace is a neo- Gothic palace that was constructed in the late 18th century during reign of Empress Catherine the Great. It was designed by the court architect Yuri Felten. Chesme Palace was completed in 1777 and named after great naval victory at the battle of Chesme Bay (1770) where Russian fleet defeated Turkish Ottoman fleet. Modest and largely abandoned Chesme Palace was a place for Empress to award soldiers and officers with the Order of Saint George, highest military honour for battle distinction. Among recipients were Suvorov who defeated Ottomans repeatedly as well as his protégé Field Marshal Kutuzov who defeated French emperor Napoleon Bonaparte in the War of 1812. After World War II it was home to State University of Aerospace Instrumentation (formerly the Leningrad Institute of Aircraft Instrument-making). Today it undergoes reconstruction and is closed to the public.

 

 

Bridges of Saint Petersburg at night

 

Palace Bridge (Saint Petersburg)

Image of Sankt Petersburg

Image of Sankt Petersburg  Image of Sankt Petersburg  Image of Sankt Petersburg

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

blog comments powered by Disqus