Kirirom National Park



Description of Kirirom National Park

Kirirom National Park is a small bio reserve situated in Kampong Speu Province and Koh Kong Province in South- West Cambodia. Kirirom National Park was established in 1993 with a total area of 350 sq km or 140 sq mi. Net of trails vary in difficulty and ease of access. The hardest trail in Kirirom National Park is a two hour hike up to Phnom Dat Chivit or End of the Life Mountain.


The Park is located in the Eastern part of the Cardamom mountains. It is 112 km from Phnom Penh off National highway 4, on the road to Sihanoukville. Kirirom is located at an altitude of 675 m above sea level and is the first official national Park in Cambodia. The Park has many paths through a pine forest, with many small lakes and waterfalls; in the recent past it was used by the Khmer Rouge as one of their bases. The Park is inhabited by populations of animals, including Asian elephant, deer, Gaur, banteng, leopard, spotted linsang, Gibbon, tiger. Kirirom is a popular holiday destination for citizens from Phnom Penh.


The park was created in 1940 by the Department of Forestry and made its first road into the country. Kirirom Plateau. Then in 1944, Sihanouk visited the area for the first time through his elephants. Enjoy the picturesque landscape of the region. He said, "Such a beautiful forest only in France, do not think that this forest is in Cambodia. At that time, the Royal Government allowed technical experts to study and designate the site as "Kirirom Plateau", royal royal number 129, dated April 17 1944. In that year, scientists as well as geologists, geologists, and geologists came to the study of geology, soil conditions.

In 1944, the Department of the Forestry and Forestry defined Kirirom as "a forest reserved for the future". . From January 22 to 28, 1945, King Norodom Sihanouk visited and resided at the Royal Palace. Developed by the Department of Aquatic and Forestry in the Oasis Sandbar.

In 1949, the Department of the Ministry of Forestry and the Ministry of Forestry established roads and bridges throughout the Kirirom region for tourism.

By the end of 1949, the Kirirom region was under Khmer control. For one year, many bridges in the Kirirom region were burned by the armed men when The Forestry Department of the Department of the Ministry of Forestry and Forestry decided to stop the management of Kirirom, but they returned to the area. This was the beginning of 1954.

Following the November 1954 International Conference of Geneva, Switzerland, which France granted full independence to Cambodia, the Department The Ministry of Forestry has resumed its forestry operations and activities in Kirirom, according to the Royal Decree. 2nd month Congress 1950.

In 1962, Kirirom was established as a tourist town called "Chulalong" or "Borey Chulalong". The reason why the city was named Julian was because of the fact that King Nhek Chuon Long at that time was an important activist in Contribute and mobilize people to build this luxurious tourist city. During the Sangkum Reastr Niyum, apart from Phnom Penh and Sihanoukville or Kompong Som, the government formed new cities Other cities such as Angkor, Kep, Bokor, Pailin and Boreal Chulalong.

In 1965, tourism became an important part of the national economy. With hundreds of cars built every weekend, the natural potential of the Kirirom region combines with many luxury structures. Travel to the area. According to a report by the Cambodia Daily, published in 1966, up to 11,500 vehicles were on tour. The region, including visits by foreign delegates, including Chinese President Liu Zhiqi, Indonesian President Sugano, President Ouk Tuku Yugoslavia Marshal Chen Yi from China.. The dignitaries were invited by King Norodom Sihanouk to visit Kirirom.

And often, King Norodom Sihanouk favored the city, traveling frequently there. Will visit the beautiful nature and all the wildlife of Kirirom, and the government of that time will leave. It is also a luxury natural tourist destination.

In the vicinity of Kirirom National Park or Julong City, there are also several plantations, hectares of orchids, hydropower, and exhibition areas for the Legion. The Royal Cambodian Armed Forces (RCAF) has three factories and a helicopter-accessible airport near the former Royal Palace built between 1962-65.