Ermak Travel Guide

 

The World at your fingertips 

 

 

Baltit Fort

 

 

 

Tel. 05821 57110

Open: 9am- 1pm and 2- 5:30pm Apr- Oct

9:30am- 4pm Nov- March

 

 

 

Description of Baltit Fort

 

Baltit Fort in the Hunza Valley was constructed in the 13th century on the hill overlooking Karimabad in Pakistan. Baltit Fort was subsequently increased and strengthened in subsequent centuries. In the 17th century Mir Ayesho II married a daughter of the Balti ruler and head of the Baltistan's Maqpon Dynasty. He moved to the fortress and brought many artisans that further increased the stronghold and made the residence more livable. It was abandoned in 1945.

 

The fortress occupies a strategic position in the Hunza Valley, the military garrison controlled the seasonal trans-Karakorum trade between South and Central Asia. The fortress has a rectangular shape and three floors in height. On the ground floor there are mainly left-luggage offices. A staircase leads to the second floor, which is used mainly in the winter months and has an auditorium, guest rooms, a dining room, a kitchen and service rooms. On the third floor there is a summer dining room, reception room and bedrooms.

The Hunza rulers used the fortress as their residence until 1945. Work on the restoration of the fortress, carried out in 1990, showed that the main structures of the fortress (defensive structures and a stone tower) were built in the VIII century BC. e. The stone tower was supplemented by defensive structures connected with each other by a single passage consisting of small rooms and underground storage rooms. The complex was then expanded by adding a second and third floor. The stone structures of the wall, built in the region of frequent earthquakes, were further strengthened by wooden supports.