Austrian Visa Requirements

Traveling to Austria is fairly easy for citizens of Unites States, European Union, Canada, Australia and New Zealand. No visa is required if you want to stay in Austria for less than 90 days. All you need is a valid passport. Most European Union citizens only need a valid identity documentations to enter Austria.


More information on Visa Requirements


Requirements for granting
A Visa C basically authorizes entry and residence in all Schengen countries up to a total length of stay of 90 days within a period of 180 days, provided the general entry requirements are met.

A Visa D entitles you to enter and stay in Austria and can be issued for a stay of 91 days to six months. Holders of a Visa D generally enjoy freedom of travel to the territory of the other Schengen countries for up to 90 days per half-year, provided the general entry requirements are met.

The visa must be applied for personally before entering Austria at the responsible Austrian representative authority (embassy, ​​consulate general) in the country of residence. It is issued by this authority itself.

All documents necessary for an application can be found in the checklist at the top of the page.

If students are already in the Schengen area with a residence permit from another Schengen country, a visa for entry into Austria can only be requested from the Austrian representative authorities in Bratislava, Ljubljana or Munich.

A visa application can be submitted to the responsible representative authority at the earliest three months before the planned travel date and should never be submitted later than 15 calendar days before the planned stay.

Processing times can vary regionally or seasonally (e.g. due to strong demand). As a guide, we recommend that you apply for the visa at least four weeks before you intend to enter the country.

Travel health insurance must be taken out to enter Austria with a visa (or for the entire duration of your stay). It should be noted that the scope of validity includes Austria and that there is sufficient protection for various illnesses (coverage well above 30,000 euros, with the guarantee that any recovery and repatriation costs will be covered).

The pursuit of a self-employed or self-employed activity is not permitted during the visa-free stay or a stay within the scope of visa C or D described above. A special visa is always required to take up gainful employment (Visa C or D "for work purposes"). Employment free of charge can also be regarded as gainful employment (e.g. volunteering, internship)

Extension and changeover options
A visa can in principle neither be applied for nor extended. When the visa expires - unless a residence permit has been issued - you must therefore leave the Schengen area.

Under certain circumstances, you may be authorized to apply for a residence permit at the competent residence authority in Switzerland (e.g. for a "Residence permit - student"). In all cases, however, it should be noted that the application for a residence permit alone does not provide a right of residence beyond the duration of the stay permitted in the visa.

Family members
Family members * can apply for a derived visa C or D at the competent Austrian representative authority in the country of residence, depending on the type of student visa. If family members are entitled to a visa-free entry due to their nationality, they can stay in Austria for a period of up to three months or 90 days within six months or 180 days (Japanese citizens up to six months) without a visa. Working in Austria is generally not permitted during this stay.

* Spouses, registered partners or minor unmarried children. Spouses and registered partners must have reached the age of 21 at the time of application.

Other notices
You must register with the registration office at your place of residence within three working days of entering Austria.