Ivyanets is an urban settlement in the Volozhin district of the
Minsk region of Belarus. Located in a hilly and wooded area on the
Volma River, 31 km from Volozhin, 40 km from the Koydanovo station
on the Minsk-Baranovichi line, it is connected by motor roads with
Minsk, Dzerzhinsk, Volozhin, Stolbtsy, Novogrudok.
Historically, the plan of Ivyanets has developed according to the traditional scheme: the network of streets originates from the shopping area located in the middle of the settlement. Six streets radiate out from the square. Three of them pass into the roads to Rakov (now Sept. 17 st.), Stolbtsy (Komsomolskaya st.), Dzerzhinovo (May 1 st.).
Church of St. Michael the Archangel ("White Church", 1740-1749, architect A. Chekhovich; restored in 1856-1860, architect V. Belyavsky)
The Church of St. Michael the Archangel
(Belorussian Kaszol Svyatog Mikhail Arkhanel) is a Catholic church
in the urban village of Ivenets, Republic of Belarus. Belongs to the
Ivenets deanery of the Minsk-Mogilev archdiocese. An architectural
monument in the Vilna Baroque style, built in 1740-1749. The temple
is included in the State List of Historical and Cultural Values of
the Republic of Belarus, consecrated in the name of Michael the
Archangel. A single architectural complex with a temple is the
residential building of the former Franciscan monastery and a
fragment of the wall with a tower and a gate. Located at: st.
In 1702, the Minsk steward Theodor Anthony Vankovich invited monks from the Franciscan order to Ivenets, allocating a plot for them to build a monastery and donating substantial funds. The Franciscans first erected a wooden temple, and then began the construction of stone monastery buildings.
From 1740 to 1749, next to the wooden church, the construction of a new stone church in the Vilna Baroque style, designed by A. Chekhovich, was underway. The hill on which the temple was built was reinforced with cobblestones. The builders changed the course of the Volma River in the area adjacent to the monastery so that it would not flood the monastery and the church during floods. The construction was completed in 1749, but the exact date of the church's consecration is unknown. The appearance of the temple for the 250-year period of its existence has practically not changed, with the exception of the tops of the towers.
After the Polish uprising of 1830, the Franciscan monastery was closed, and a boarding house for elderly Catholic priests was organized on its premises. In 1856-1860, restoration work was carried out in the church of Michael the Archangel. After the uprising of 1863, the Russian authorities took a series of harsh measures against the Catholic Church in the western regions of the empire, including the closure of many Catholic churches and the transfer of their buildings to the Orthodox Church. The Church of the Archangel Michael was closed on December 12, 1868, in 1869 the building was transferred to the Orthodox parish, onion-shaped domes were placed on the towers.
Since 1920 Ivenets has been a part of Poland. The building of the church was again transferred to the jurisdiction of the Catholics. The bulbous domes were removed and the building returned to its original appearance. Since the monastery has not functioned since 1830, the Church of Archangel Michael served as a parish church.
In 1939, the Franciscan monks returned to Ivenets, who took over the church and the parish of Michael the Archangel. During the Nazi occupation, two monks from the Ivenets Franciscan community, Karol Herman Stampen and Joseph Achilles Puhala, were executed by the invaders. On June 11, 1998, Pope John Paul II beatified them among the 108 blessed Polish martyrs.
After the Second World War, the temple was closed, a grocery store was located in its building, and later a procurement shop. In the premises of the former monastery there was a school, and then a production workshop of the Minsk Design Technological Institute.
In 1992, the temple was again transferred to the Catholic Church, since 1994 the Franciscan monastic community has been restored at the temple. Since 2003, restoration work has been carried out in the temple.
In 2006, in the territory adjacent to the temple, as a result of many years of searches, a 1.2-ton bell was discovered, hidden in 1943 from the confiscation undertaken by the German authorities.
On May 13, 2012, a monument to Pope John Paul II was unveiled near the church.
The rector of the parish of Michael the Archangel is the priest of the Minsk-Mogilev archdiocese, Father Lech Bohanek.
The Church of St. Michael the Archangel is a basilica with a transverse transept, in the plan it has a Latin cross. The façade is flanked by graceful baroque five-tiered towers flanking a two-tiered pediment. To the west of the temple there is an L-shaped 2-storey residential building of the monastery (1741). The temple and residential building are partially surrounded by a stone fence with a gate.
Catholic church of St. Alexis ("Red Church", 1905-1907)
The Church of St. Alexei (Belorussian Kaszol Svyatog Alyaksei) is
a Catholic church in the town of Ivenets, Minsk region, Belarus.
Belongs to the Ivenets deanery of the Minsk-Mogilev archdiocese. An
architectural monument, built in 1905-1907 in the neo-Gothic style,
is included in the State list of historical and cultural values of
the Republic of Belarus. Address: st. Pushkin, 1.
The appearance of the Church of St. Alexei in Ivenets is associated with the history of two other Catholic churches in Ivenets - Michael the Archangel and St. Trinity. After the uprising of 1863, the Russian authorities took a series of harsh measures against the Catholic Church in the western regions of the empire, including the closure of many Catholic churches and the transfer of their buildings to the Orthodox Church. In Ivenets in 1868-1869, both Catholic churches and a wooden chapel in the Catholic cemetery were closed, after which the Catholics lost all religious buildings.
The situation in favor of greater religious tolerance began to change only at the beginning of the 20th century. In 1903, services began again in the cemetery chapel; in 1904, the authorities gave permission to build a new Catholic church in Ivenets. It was to be erected next to the Catholic cemetery and replace the wooden chapel as a place of worship. In gratitude for the permission, the church received the name of St. Alexei, the patron saint of the prince.
The construction took three years. On May 22, 1905, the cornerstone was consecrated, and on December 3, 1907, the built temple was consecrated. The temple was erected in the neo-Gothic style of red brick, the author of the project was the architect Mikhail Gotovsky, who was guided in the project by the Vilna church of St. Anna.
On July 16, 1947, the church was closed. In 1962 it was transferred to the Minsk State Library named after Lenin, where its archive was located. In the 80s of the XX century, believers began to write requests to the authorities of the BSSR to return the church to the parish. The efforts were crowned with success, on October 14, 1988, the temple was returned to the Church, on July 9, 1989, the Church of St. Alexei was rededicated. Since 1990, priests from the Franciscan order have served in the temple.
The church has a Latin cross in plan, with a pentahedral apse and rectangular lateral wings of the transept, which protrude far beyond the walls of the longitudinal ship. A two-tiered four-sided hipped-roof bell tower crowns the facade of the building. The entrance portal is decorated with a pointed arch and a rose window above it.
It is known since the XIV century as a private
settlement of the Grand Duke of Lithuania Vitovt, later belonged to
Prince Andrei Vladimirovich, the grandson of Prince Grand Duke
Olgerd, in the XVI and XVIII centuries to the Sologubs, and from
1808 to 1884 - Plevako.
Since 1793 as part of the Russian Empire, a town, the center of the volost of the Minsk district.
In 1897 - 2670 inhabitants.
In 1918 it was occupied by German troops.
In 1919-1920 there were Polish troops in the town.
In 1921-1939 as part of Poland, the town of Volozhin County.
Since 1939 as part of the BSSR, since January 15, 1940, an urban settlement, the center of the Ivyanets district.
In 1941-1944 under German occupation.
From April 1962 in the Volozhin region, from December 1962 in the Stolbtsy region, from 1965 again in the Volozhin region.