Kamyenyets or Kamianiec

 

Kamyenyets or Kamenets (until 1940 - Kamenets-Litovsky) is a city in the west of Belarus in the Brest region on the Lesnaya River, located 40 km north of Brest. Center of the Kamenets district. As of January 1, 2020, the population of the city was 8,400 people.

Founded in 1276 by order of the Volyn prince Vladimir Vasilkovich, it was built by the town planner Aleksa. According to the Ipatiev Chronicle, it was Aleksa who chose the place for laying the Kamenetsky Detinets.

 

In the XIV century it became part of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania. During this period, Kamyenyets was in the possession of the princes Keistut and Vitovt.

In 1289, Kamyenyets was captured and completely destroyed by the grandson of Daniel of Galitsky, the Drogichin prince Yuri Lvovich.

Starting in 1373, the city was regularly attacked by crusaders, knights of the Teutonic order. In 1375 the commander from Balga Theodor von Elner made a major raid, devastating Kamyenyets and taking many prisoners. The campaigns were repeated in 1378 and 1384.

In 1382, the city was captured by the Polish prince Janusz Mazowiecki, allegedly in the form of a dowry for his wife Danuta (daughter of Keistut). The siege lasted 7 days. However, a year later, Jagiello recaptured the city.

In 1500, Kamyenyets was unsuccessfully stormed by the Crimean Tatars of Khan Mengli-Girey.

In 1503 the city received the Magdeburg Law.

In 1517, the diplomat and historian Herberstein passed through the city. In his travel notes, he wrote: "Kamenets is a city with a stone tower in a wooden castle."

The city was badly damaged during the Russian-Polish war of 1654-1667.

In 1795 it was annexed to the Russian Empire. Before the revolution, Kamyenyets was part of the Brest district of the Grodno province.

In the period from 1795-1940 the city had the official name Kamenets-Litovsk to distinguish it from the Ukrainian Kamenets-Podolsk.

In 1899, the academician of architecture V.V.Suslov arrived in Kamyenyets to study the possibility of restoring the tower and made a plan for its restoration. The project was approved by Nicholas II and in 1903 the work was completed.

From April 14, 1921, it was part of Poland according to the results of the Riga Peace Treaty of 1921, after the end of the Soviet-Polish War.

On September 13, 1939, the 3rd Panzer Division entered Kamyenyets. On September 15, the headquarters of Panzer General Heinz Guderian settled in the city.

Since November 2, 1939, Kamyenyets is part of the BSSR.

Since June 22, 1941, the city has been occupied by Nazi troops. During the Great Patriotic War, more than 6 thousand people were killed in the city. The occupation ended on July 22, 1944.

On June 24, 1983 Kamyenyets received the status of a city.

Since 1991 Kamyenyets has been a part of the Republic of Belarus.

On September 4, 2005, the Day of Writing was held in the city.

On September 8, 2012, the Brest regional festival-fair "Dazhynki" was held for the second time in the city.

 

Destinations

Kamenets tower
Cathedral of Simeon the Stylite (Holy Simeon Church)
Polish School (City Gymnasium)
Church of Peter and Paul
Jewish synagogues converted for modern needs
19th century Orthodox Catholic cemetery
Mass grave of the soldiers of the Red Army and partisans who liberated Kamenets and the region from the Nazi invaders in 1944.