Cortewalle Castle is a late Medieval fortress situated in Beveren in the East Flanders in Belgium.
Location: Cortewalle Castle
Zwarte dreef 1
9129 Beveren, East Flanders Map
Constructed: 15th century
Open: Jan 1- Dec 31 by appointment only
Tel. +32 3 750 15 80
Cortewalle Castle or Hof ter Walle as it was originally called is a 15th century castle constructed from white sandstone in municipality of Beveren in East Flanders at an elevation of 10 meters above sea level. Despite its size and a surrounding moat filled with water, it was not intended to defend anyone. Instead this elegant Flemish Renaissance style building served as a residence for its owners, the Triest family. It is a presumed birthplace of Bishop of Ghent Antonius Trieste. Later Cortewalle Castle was sold to the Goubau family in the 17th century and in 1787 it passed to the counts of Brouchoven de Bergeyck through marriage.
In 1856 Charles de Brouchoven de Bergeyck made several sweeping changes and extended the estate. Among the changes that were made to the Cortewalle Castle were new neo- Gothic windows and other architectural features instead of Renaissance. The changes were also made to the interior of the mansion. This included new orangery and neo- classical appearance. Charles' only daughter Alix from his marriage with Emilie Moretus married her cousing Florimond de Brouchoven de Bergeyck in 1869 thus the estate stayed in the family by a weird European practice. Between 1908 and 1910 new renovation project was undertaken by the counts.
Castle's last owner was a widow of Count Charles, Josephine Cornet d'Elzius de Peissant who left Cortwalle Castle for good. In 1961 the heirs ordered all the furniture of the house to be auctioned publicly. The Cortewalle Castle was finally sold to the municipality of the Beveren in 1966, that used Cortewalle Castle for storage of important archives including those of De Bergeyck family. The mansion became a protected monument since 8 September 1971. Today the estate is open by appointment only. It is surrounded by a 10 hectare park. Some of the notable rooms include private chapel of Cortewalle Castle. Is is open between May and September on Sundays in the form of free guided tours. Another interesting feature of Cortewalle Castle is a Municipal Local History Museum with a rich collection of lace and a restored Aubusson tapestry (9,5 X 6 meters) that is kep in the protected air- conditione box.