Reinhardstein Castle is located in
Warche valley in the village of Ovifat in the Ardennes. Medieval fortification was constructed
near the strategic river Warche in
1354 by Reinhard of Weismes for his lord, Count Wenceslaus of Luxerbourg.
This strategic location with a 60 meter decline makes Reinhardstein
Castle the highest in the country.
Reinhardstein Castle was inherited by a family
Nesselrode, Nassau, Schwartzenberg. Finally it was owned by the
counts of Metternich between 1550 and 1812. It was briefly seized in
1795- 98 by the French revolutionary troops. After 1812 Franz Georg
Karl Count Metternich- Winnenburg- Beilstein sold Reinhardstein
Castle to the state of Prussia. Much of its stones were quarried by the locals in the
nineteenth century. Prussian government tried to put an end to this
illegal destruction of the citadel. In 1969 reconstruction of Reinhardstein Castle has begun
returning the citadel to its original condition.