Tryavna (Трявна)




Location: Tryavna, Gabrovo Province   Map

Official site

Art-M Hotel

20 Angel Kanchev St

Tel. +359 6776 2492


Brashlyan Hotel Complex

6 Panorama St

Tel. +359 6776 3019


Complex Harmony Hotel

54 Hristo Botev St

Tel. +359 6776 2460


Hilez Hotel

17 Stara Planina St

Tel. +359 6776 6920


Travel Destinations in Tryavna

Tryavna is a historic Bulgarian city in Central Bulgaria situated in the Tryavna river valley. The city managed to preserve its traditional architecture and historic heritage. Originally found by the Thracian tribes much of the city date back to the 18th- 19th centuries. Lack of hordes of tourists additionally add charm to this authentic Bulgarian city. Tryavna is a small picturesque town in Central Bulgaria near Gabrovo. Its architectural appearance is one of the most remarkable and well preserved examples of Bulgarian Revival period that took place in the 18th and 19th century. Additionally Tryavna is also famous for its artisans, craftsmen and artists. At the time it was part of the Ottoman Empire that was officially a Muslim country. Bulgarians that were predominantly Christian were seeking for a way to self- identify themselves in the country those officials were often hostile to the local religion and traditions.
A big influence of Tryavna Revival was influenced by medieval churches and buildings that survived centuries of neglect and foreign invasions. One of the most important religious buildings that date to the period is a church of Archangel Michael located on the Square of Dyado Nikola. It dates back to the 12th century.


Tryavna Clock Tower (Tryavna)
Tryavna Clock Tower was constructed in 1814 by Tryavna artisans as well as local citizens. The clock mechanism itself was made in 1815 by the craftsmen from Gabrovo. It reaches a total height of 21.15 meters. At the time of its construction it was the highest building in the city.
Tryavna Clock Tower can be divided into three parts. The lowest part is a square shaped base, middle part is octagon shaped crowned by a small metal cornice.
Tryavna Clock Tower was renovated in 1971 to mark anniversary of a Tryavna Library. The main clock got a new mechanism that sounds 10 sounds a day. Additionally it plays sounds of the song "Inseparable" those words were written by Doe. The melody became the anthem of the city and Tryavna Clock Tower is one of the most symbolic buildings in the town.
The Tryavna Shkolo (School) (Tryavna)
7 Angel Kanchev Str.
Tel. +359 677 25-17
Open: Winter: 9am- 5pm
Summer: 9am- 6pm
Raikov Museum House (Tryavna)
1, Proff. P.N. Raikov Str.
Tel. +359 677 34- 81
Ivan Kolev House (Tryavna)
ul Slaveikov 47
Open: 9am- 1pm and 2- 6pm Mon- Fri
Phone: +359 677 3777
Entrance Fee: 2 lv
Daskalov Museum- House (Tryavna)
Slaveikov Str.
Tel. +359 677 21-66
Open: Winter: 9am- 5pm
Summer: 9am- 7pm
Daskalov Museum House dates back to the early 19th century. The interior of this splendid Tryavna residence preserved traditional interior of the Bulgarian houses as they looked in the 19th century. Its most unique feature is a magnificent wooden ceiling with intricate carvings.
Museum of Icon-Painting and Wood Curving (Музеят на иконописта и дърворезбата) (Tryavna)
Tel. +359/896 755 938
Open: Winter: 8:30am -4:30pm
Summer: 10am- 6pm
Angel Kanchev Museum-House (Ангел Кънчев Къщата-музей) (Tryavna)
No. 39, Angel Kunchev Str. (39 ул. Ангел Кънчев.)
Tel. +359/896 755 935
Open: Summer: 9.30am-1:30pm and 2pm- 6pm
Closed in winter
Angel Kanchev Museum House contains a collection of paintings by local Bulgarian artists.
St. Archangel Michael Church (Св. Архангел Михаил) (Tryavna)
No. 128 Angel Kunchev Str. (128 ул. Ангел Кънчев)
Tel. +91-22-2222-1234
Contact Information: fax: +91-22-2222-1235)
Church of Saint Archangel Michael is the oldest well preserved medieval church that date back to the 12th century. It survived several conflicts and numerous invasions.



Thracian settlement
Highly cultured Thracian settlements are proved by a Thracian sanctuary from the Hellenistic and Roman eras in the Elova Mogila locality, near the village of Popovtsi (now the village of Chernovruh). The sanctuary is located about 7 km northeast of the town, The plan is a round stone structure in the middle of which a stone platform is built, connected with the cult of the sun, worshiped by the Thracians in the first millennium BC and its personification - the deity found in written sources under different names - Sabazios, Zagreus, Orpheus.The sanctuary was built in the IV century BC and lasted until the I century BC, when its activities ceased due to the Roman conquest of Moesia. In the middle of the 2nd century and functioned until the second half of the 4th century, most of the finds were discovered during archeological excavations, dominated by bronze bells, which have a ritual purpose - their ringing aims to attract the attention of deities. and the visitor to beg what he has come for.

The Vereya Drum
Later, through here, through the Tryavna Stara Planina passes, the Roman road came from the Diskoduratera (now Gostilitsa) through the mountain to Augusta Trayana (now Stara Zagora), known among the locals as the Vereya Drum - connecting the Danube through the Roman provinces of Moesia and Thrace with the White Sea and Constantinople.

In the time of Khan Krum
On the night of July 25-26, 811, in the Tryavna, Varbishki and Rishki passes of the Balkan Mountains, Khan Krum inflicted the devastating defeat on the Romans and killed the Byzantine emperor Nicephorus.

During the time of Assenevtsi
In 1190 here the Bulgarian kings Assen and Peter defeated in the battle of Tryavna Pass the troops of Emperor Isaac II Angel, who after the Uprising restored the Bulgarian kingdom decided to wipe out Bulgaria again and undertook a large-scale campaign, ingloriously ended after a failed siege of Tarnovo with this defeat. After the victory, Tsar Peter withdrew from the government and handed it over to Tsar Assen I, and in honor of the great Bulgarian victory, the oldest church in the city was built - "St. Archangel Michael. According to the legend, during the reign of Tsar Ivan Asen II above the nearby village of Tsareva Livada around the Neychevtsi neighborhood was the king's summer palace, from where "the royal swords and other royal things" were excavated. To this day, the place is called the city and is a frequent target of treasury raids. Again, according to the legend, the horses of Assenevtsi grazed on the meadows in the hollow below the village. Hence the name of today's Tryavna village - Tsareva Livada. The plateau next to it is the historical place Strinava. It is more difficult to access and in the Middle Ages it was fortified as a strategic stronghold. Today there are preserved remains of fortress walls and foundations of buildings. One of the fortifications found in the area - 2 km north of the village of Tsareva Livada, has been identified with the fortress Strinava (Tsarovishteto), mentioned by Byzantine writers, in connection with the battles that took place there. Here is the legendary place where the brothers Assen and Peter were born to a Kuman mother and a Bulgarian father, and later they asked the Byzantine emperor to allow them to build their fortress and the excuse gave him the formal reason for the Bulgarian uprising, and after the victory Assen they often came to rest and hunt in Strinava, which was their summer residence. Together with the three other fortresses belonging to the fortified area - Boruna, Kuklata and Kaleto, it played an important role in the defense of the Second Bulgarian State. Some of these fortresses have triple rows of walls up to 2 meters thick. Coins, arrows, spears, swords, a padlock weighing 13 kg were found in the vicinity. These are indisputable proofs of an intensive life. Around the Strinavo plateau with an area of ​​about 5-6 square kilometers, the area all the way to Tryavna abounds with names of places such as Tsar Asenik, Tsar Kaolyanik, Tsaryuvi Bahchi, Tsarskoto, Sternata, Tsar Asenova path, the villages Tsarevi livadi, Kumani, Voynitsi, Skortsi and so called

After the Ottoman invasion
At the end of the XIV century, dramatic events occurred again, the Turkish invasion reached the lands around the capital city. In 1393 Tarnovo fell under Ottoman rule. Legends say that here and in the surrounding villages, Velentsi (from "velya" - I order), Popovtsi (now Chernovruh) and Tsarevi livadi are settled representatives of the clergy and boyars who fled from Tarnovo. A legend, recorded by the local teacher Hristo Daskalov, tells of many boyars who sought refuge in the Balkans, as many settlements in the region connect their origin and their names with these turning points in the history of the Bulgarian people.


The oldest official information about Tryavna is from the time of the Ottoman rule - XV-XVI century. The area of ​​today's town is inhabited by a population from the high mountain surrounding settlements, which served in the XIII-XIV century. roads through the mountains and provided security for the passes. Tryavna is structured as a Derventji village by people performing paramilitary functions. This condition was regulated by a special sultan's decree of April 8, 1565, in which the name Tryavna was mentioned for the first time. The order states that there is a place in the mountain called Tarnava, where it is appropriate to establish a settlement whose inhabitants, against the obligation to guard and guard the passage from robbers, to be released from state burdens and customary levies. This provides Tryavna residents with tax privileges and complete freedom.

In the 16th and 17th centuries Tryavna grew rapidly. Newcomers from Edirne, Teteven and others are moving to the city. The lack of fertile land pushed people to seek other livelihoods and opportunities, such as trade. Gradually, with hard work and entrepreneurship, the inhabitants of Tryavna developed and turned into their main livelihood the artistic crafts of icon painting, woodcarving, kazaslak, as well as mutafchiystvo, kuyumdzhiystvo, gaitandzhiystvo, construction and others. In addition, until the end of the 17th century, and later Tryavna engaged in silk and rose production. The goods of local craftsmen reached the most remote markets of the Ottoman Empire, and even beyond its borders - to Austria, Wallachia and Russia. Economic prosperity, the abundance of stone and wood and the proximity to the samples of Tarnovo medieval art are the reasons from the middle of the XVII century in the city was born the oldest of the Renaissance art schools - Tryavna, which includes three main areas of artistic activity: icon painting , woodcarving and construction. The founder of the Tryavna Art School is Vitan Karchov, who worked in the first half of the 17th century.

Participation in the struggle for national liberation
Many people from Tryavna joined the struggle for national liberation. Many of them, such as Mincho Stari, are actively involved in supporting the Russian troops in the battles near Shipka-Sheynovo. They are their scouts, mountain guides and food suppliers. Levski's ally, Angel Kanchev (1850 - 1871), was born in Tryavna. Vasil Levski himself visited the city several times to organize revolutionary activities. Tryavna is among the settlements that joined the April Uprising. On April 25, 1876, an envoy from Panagyurishte arrived in the town with a letter from the apostles of the IV Plovdiv Revolutionary District Georgi Benkovski and Zahari Stoyanov, calling for an immediate revolt. Local activists, led by the chairman of the revolutionary committee, painter Tsanyu Zahariev, gathered a detachment of 50 people in ten days. Led by Duke Hristo Patrev, the rebels captured the city on May 5 without encountering resistance. On May 9, the detachment, now growing to 110 men, faced a bashibozuk and a regular army near the village of Nova Mahala. Thanks to the chosen convenient position and their organization, the people of Tryavna managed to repel the Ottoman attacks three times. However, they experienced problems due to hunger and insufficient ammunition and decided to separate and retreat. Many were captured and executed or sent into exile. During the Russo-Turkish war of liberation from 1877 to 1878, more than 200 people from Tryavna took part.

Tryavna welcomes its freedom on St. Peter's Day 1877.

After the Liberation
From the beginning of December 1892 Petko Voivoda lived here as an internee until the fall of Stambolov, after which on May 18, 1894 he returned to Varna. Citizenship treats the Duke with deep respect and reverence.

The people of Tryavna took part en masse in the five wars for the unification of Bulgaria, which were fought between 1885 and 1945.

The former craft workshops grew into small furniture and textile enterprises. In the second half of the 20th century, modern enterprises for the production of woolen textiles, knitwear, furniture, machine building and military products grew here. But the people of Tryavna have been making good use of the natural resources of their beautiful region since the very beginning of the 20th century. in Tryavna tourism and resort activity is developing. The first tourists in 1896 were greeted with a slight distrust, but soon the spirit of modernity and innate entrepreneurship prevailed. In 1910 a Society for cultural and economic uplift of the town of Tryavna was established, which together with the city administration made great efforts to improve the village and create amenities for vacationers coming here because of the beautiful nature and healthy Balkan air. In 1927 a book about the resort of Tryavna and postcards were published, and a film about the nature and sights of the town was distributed. Thus, in 1937, Tryavna received the status of a "resting place" by Order of the General Directorate of Public Health.


In 1963 Tryavna was officially declared a resort.

Tryavna Art School
During the Revival an art school appeared in Tryavna. The founder of the Tryavna Art School is Vitan Karchov, who worked in the first half of the 17th century. The Tryavna Art School is best known for its woodcarvers and painters.

The unique appearance of Tryavna is due to its original architecture, to the generations of master builders who built churches, bridges, schools, who created the original and beautiful Tryavna house. The Revival street ensembles "Petko R. Slaveykov" and "Assenevtsi" in the Kachaunska neighborhood have preserved their authenticity and romance. The two-storey houses with bay windows and wide eaves facing the street attract the admirers of the Revival architecture. One of the most impressive and representative houses in Tryavna is Daskalova. Built between 1804 - 1808, it is home to the Daskalovi family and a typical example of early Renaissance residential architecture, combining utilitarianism and originality in the exterior. The house has a traditional and rich interior. The most impressive elements in the interior are the carved ceilings in the two living rooms, in the shape of the sun - masterpieces of Bulgarian woodcarving from the Renaissance. Six Tryavna families work in the field of icon painting, which for two centuries have created masterpieces of icon painting - the beautified type of Renaissance icon, combining the traditions of medieval iconography and dogma, and the innovations of the New Age - realism, spirituality, rich color. The icon painters of Tryavna adorn the name of Tryavna with glory and brilliance, working in the most remote corners of the Bulgarian land, thus passing the suggestion of their art to the heart of the common man. Tryavna carvers cover homes and churches with their exquisite woodcarving, which softens the strict and uniform proportions of private and public buildings, thus bringing more warmth and splendor to the interior. Master builders, carvers, icon painters reached exceptional mastery and virtuosity in their works and established themselves as extremely sought after and valued throughout the Renaissance. All over the Bulgarian land they create and leave for generations innumerable material and spiritual values ​​- churches, monasteries, icons, houses, schools, bridges, fountains, bell towers and most of all unique beauty. In the 18th and 19th centuries, Tryavna became one of the leading cultural centers in Bulgaria, a center in which the heritage of the late Middle Ages was transformed in a way consistent with the new social and economic realities. Thus, over time, they began to call Tryavna "alton", ie. gold.

Among the masterpieces of Tryavna's architectural heritage are the houses built by Dimitar Sergyuv. Kalincheva House (1830), Dobrevata (1834), Sergevata (1841), Raykova (1846), Kirevata (1851) are among the architectural creations of the famous Tryavna builder. The most typical and beautiful examples of the Tryavna house are Kalincheva and Raykova (a cultural monument of national importance). The houses have a similar spatial solution - two-storey, with a representative facade facing the street line; a shop on the street side; bay window bidding on the second, residential floor above the first (which breaks the facade and softens the severity of the house); large veranda on the second floor, open to a large courtyard.

During the years of foreign rule, the people of Tryavna not only proved to be talented masters, but also organized their native place in which they live, which still arouses admiration and creates a reason for national pride in the architectural complex in the city center, including several significant monuments. the construction art, testifying to the enterprising spirit of the Tryavna man, his striving for beauty and self-expression.


In the center of Tryavna is the only preserved today Revival Square in Bulgaria, with its adjacent buildings. Unique with its urban planning solution, which allows the gathering of many people on different occasions. Almost all the buildings enclosing the square have a remarkable architectural value. Built at different times by different masters, the talent of the Revival architect is indisputable. Dyado Nikola Square is the most significant, unique and fully preserved Revival Square - an ensemble with the famous clock tower of the city, mentioned by Slaveykov (as the main reason for pride in Tryavna), "Slaveykovo (Old) School", on the right of the square, currently an art gallery and museum of the Tryavna carving school, with the ancient church “St. Archangel Michael "next to it across the street and the old stone" Givgiren Bridge "(Humpback Bridge), connecting the bazaar with the square.

The most representative building on the square with the clock tower is the Tryavna school. The school is among the first secular schools in Bulgaria. The vigilant and enterprising people of Tryavna did not lag behind the progressive ideas of the Revival and with the efforts of the whole Tryavna community a building was built in which one of the first secular schools in Bulgaria was organized, where the most modern pedagogical methods were taught. Built between 1836 and 1839, the building is elongated, with a rectangular plan, with rooms on all sides, enclosing a small courtyard. The plan of the building resembles the monastery complexes of that time. The great Bulgarian poet, writer, publicist, public and political figure Petko R. Slaveykov was a teacher for eight years with some interruptions. The house where his family lived has now been turned into a museum. His son Pencho Slaveykov was born here - one of the most prominent Bulgarian poets and cultural figures.

Harmoniously connected with the surrounding architectural environment and the appearance of Tryavna is the arched stone bridge, built by Dimitar Sergyuv in 1844 - 1845. Together with the Clock Tower it has become one of the symbols of the city. It brings additional charge to the unique atmosphere of Tryavna.

The Clock Tower (1814): "Make the Tryavna clock…" - wrote the chronicler of Tryavna priest Yovcho. Legend has it that in order to obtain permission from the Ottoman authorities to build the tower, Tryavna women had to refuse to wear the traditional headdress, sokai, resembling beautiful royal tiaras. The clock mechanism was made and installed in 1815 by the Gabrovo masters Kanyu and Genyu Radoslavovi. Today the Clock Tower is one of the symbols of Tryavna. The slender stone silhouette, which seems to have remained imperishable over the years, directs the gaze upwards to the bronze bell tower, whose bell ringing measures time and the expiring human life.

The houses in the architectural reserve have kept their authentic look with carving workshops and shops, and the roofs are with stone slabs. The church of the town (just opposite the clock tower) is in this style.

Remarkable as compositions are the two churches of the city. In honor of the battle in the Tryavna Pass, in 1185, the oldest church in Tryavna was built - the church "St. Archangel Michael. The church is an integral part of the composition of the ancient square with the clock tower. The date of its construction is unknown. In 1798 the church was burnt down by the Kurdzhali people and was rebuilt by the people of Tryavna in 1819. The plan is a three-nave, one-apse pseudo-basilica with a narthex. The icons of the church and the iconostasis were made by representatives of the Vitanov family, in the period 1820-1821.

The other city church is St. George. The church is located in the "Lower" neighborhood of the city. It was built in the period 1848 - 1852 by first master Dimitar Sergyuv. The iconostasis of the church was made by Dimitar Doikovcheto - one of the most talented Tryavna master carvers. Representatives of the Vitanov family painted the icons, and the frescoes were the work of painters from the Zahariev family and the family of priest Dimitar Kanchov.

In 1938, the wife of Tsar Boris III, Queen Joanna donated her dowry for the construction of the Children's Royal Sanatorium for Treatment and Prevention of Lung Diseases, which was opened in 1943. It comes to treat and heal children from all over Bulgaria.


Nearby villages and other attractions
In the vicinity are the picturesque villages Bozhentsi (Bozhentsi), Skortsite, Velentsi, Kumanite, Voynitsite, Popovtsi (Chernovruh), Genchovtsi, Enchovtsi, Bozhkovtsi, Bizhevtsi, Radantsi, Plachkovtsi. The humor typical for the Balkan people makes the area around Gabrovo and Tryavna the center of the most Zevzets village names in Bulgaria, here are: Dupinite (Nikolaevo), Srboguzite, Guzurnitsite (Lyubovo), Pardlevtsi and Dupelite (adjacent to the previous one), Tarsigezi (Search) , Bag of Lies, Hitrevtsi, Kreslyuvtsi, Barbortsi, Kiselkovtsi, Mrazetsi, Trapeskovtsi, Svirtsi, Kisiitsite, Malchovtsi, Bahretsi, Kurtipanya, Parzhigrah, Bangeytsi, Jackals, Bardeni, Pobuk, Vrabtsite, etc. Nearby are the peaks Golyam Bedek and Malak Bedek, the chapels and eco-trails to the peak Bazovets and the peak Golyam Krastets, the caves Zmeyuva Dupka (Zmeeva, Zmeyova Dupka) to the town of Tryavna and Marina (Steam) Dupka near the village of Genchovtsi, National Nature Park with the localities Vikanata Skala and Studenia Kladenets. The geographical center of Bulgaria - the Uzana area in the central Stara Planina is also not very far.