Kannus is a Finnish city located in the province of Central
Ostrobothnia. The city has a population of 5,433 and an area of
470.65 km², of which 2.32 km² are water bodies. The population
density is 11.60 inhabitants / km². The nearest larger town is
Kokkola at a distance of 40 km. The center of Kannus is located
along the Lestijoki River. The neighboring municipalities of Kannus
are Kalajoki, Kokkola, Sievi and Toholampi.
The city is located along the Ostrobothnian line, and despite the small size of the city, several trains stop at Kannus station. Kannus' best-known and largest companies include Pouttu Oy, Eskopuu Oy and Kannustalo Oy. The local Lestijoki newspaper is published in Kannus.
Stone Age discoveries have been made in the Kannus
region. The oldest Stone Age finds are located in the times of
Suomusjärvi culture. The residence during the comb ceramic culture
has been found in Polvikoski, the village of Ylikannus. At the end
of the comb-ceramic culture, the Lestijoki valley seems to have lost
its settlement, as very little is known about the discoveries of the
late Stone Age. The desertification of the area may have been due to
the change in the area due to the relocation of the coast, which is
unfavorable for sea fishing. Certain Bronze Age finds are not known
in the Lestijoki area. It would seem that the area has lost
permanent housing after the Iron Age and turned into a wilderness
area where only the Sámi and their taxpayers moved. Gradually,
wilderness people from Satakunta and Kainuu, ie Pirkka, settled in
At the beginning of the 15th century, Kannus belonged to the Suur-Pedersöre area. It was later incorporated into the Great Lohtaja. In the late Middle Ages, Kannus grew into the largest village in Suur-Lohtaja, with thirty houses scattered on the banks of the Kannusjoki River, now the Lestijoki River, from the mouth to Toholammi. Possibly a foreign nationality was represented by Juho Holsti aka Alli, a resident of Kannuskylä in the 1540s, whose house is difficult to identify with any later house. Holst's immediate neighbors at the mouth of the Lestijoki River were already inhabited in the 1540s by brothers Olli and Lauri Pietarinpojat, whose houses were later called Polish (both Puolacka and Pålack were written). At the end of the Middle Ages, about a dozen families lived in Ovannann, the area of the present parish of Kannus. When Ala- and Ylikannus were first marked as different villages around 1560, there were 19 houses in each. The settlement of Mutkalampi was also reduced to Alakannus in the 16th century. The winding pond was separated into its own village at the beginning of the 17th century, but its survival for such a long time in connection with Alakannus shows where it was mainly inhabited. It was not until the 1620s that Kannus was regularly listed in the tax books as a separate village from Alakannus, which was renamed Hillilä in the 1640s. In the Lestijoki Valley, settlement activity came to a halt at the beginning of the 17th century, all the way to Ylikannu. In 1608 there were a total of 51 houses in Kannuskylä, Hillilä, Välikannus and Ylikannus and in 1690 only one more or 52 houses.
In the 17th century, ironmaking became an important side income for the peasants. The state also drew attention to the iron soil of the Lestijoki Valley and in 1642 granted privileges to establish Rautaruukki in the area. However, the ironmaking of the Lestijoki Valley did not get its start from those privileges. Instead, it seems that the founders of Kokkola in particular contributed to the revival of iron production in the region. The peasants made anchors and other larger forging work using hydroelectric hammers that were private or shared by several houses. Tar production has also been very important to peasants in the region.
The first church in Kannus was probably completed in 1674 and was in use for almost nine decades. A dispute a couple of generations later reveals that Lauri Erkinpoika Sämpilä of his own village had been the master builder of the church's belfry and churchyard. He had received no salary for his work other than three free burial places for himself and his heirs. The church itself probably had no information other than that it had 46 windows, 34 of which were sold at auction to parishioners. In the spring of 1761, the villagers decided to build a new church and the props of the old church were reserved for the needs of the new church. Construction of the new church began on January 11, 1790, and it was decided to choose Matti Honka as the master builder. Honka built the church for 64 days, first 29 days in the spring of 1761 and then 35 in the fall. Honka received five copper thalers a day, or a total of 320 thalers.
While the Great Famine undoubtedly reduced the population of Kannus considerably in the late 17th century, most of the houses that remained deserted were surprisingly soon repopulated during the first decade of the 18th century. In the 18th century, of course, wealth during the Great Hate did not depend on the peasants' own activity and perseverance, but rather on how the houses happened to be spared on enemy raids and thus also on how remote they were located. Only in this way is it understandable why there were the most tax-paying houses in the Oversize. When peace was finally made in 1721 after seven years of Russian rule, there was enormous reconstruction work ahead. As early as 1722, the Governor of Ostrobothnia, Reinhold Wilhelm von Essen, made a trip to the northern parts of his county, trying to find out the worst grievances. The most important task of reconstruction was considered to be the rapid settlement of desert farms. The worst obstacle was considered by Governor Von Essen to be the shortage of men caused by the war and many consecutive years of disappearance. As a result, the cultivation of houses could not be carried out in the blink of an eye, but took several decades. The remote Mutkalampi, which was spared the destruction of the great hatred, was better than usual.
When the old deserted farms of Kannus began to be inhabited to
the last at the same time, the splitting was allowed to resume for a
long time. In Suur-Lohtaja, the new settlement period clearly began
in the 1750s. Apparently, the sympathy of Governor Gustaf Abraham
Piper made it possible in 1752, despite the order, to establish new
entrants. The number of houses in the village had almost doubled
during 1725–1810, which had doubled in a decade since the 1750s.
The population of the village of Kannus grew strongly in the early 19th century. In 1810 the village had 1,766 inhabitants and in 1840 even 2,825. After this the population growth calmed down and in 1890 the municipality had 3,796 inhabitants. Border arrangements were made in Kannus in the 1870s, when the houses of Ainal and Oja were transferred from Mutkalamminkylä to Himankakylä in Himanga. Earlier in the 1860s, Kannuskylä and Hillilä village had been moved to Himanka. The second church in Kannus had time in office for a little over five decades when lightning struck it and burned it as a reindeer on July 31, 1813. Because the church burned during the day, almost all of its property was rescued. After the fire, the churchyard was guarded by four men. Immediately after the fire, work began on planning to build a new church. The people of Toholampi had sent information to the people of Kannus, in which they promised that the wealthiest farmers would provide building logs and other building needs for the new church. The master builder of the church was Heikki Kuorikoski from Caustic, whose handwriting is probably also the drawings of the church. C. Bass’s drawings do not exactly match the current form of the church. The new church in Kannus is a cruciform church. The church was completed on September 26, 1817. However, it had to be repaired already in 1824 and 1850. The church was repaired more thoroughly in 1855 under the leadership of Heikki Kuorikoski's grandson. No further information is available on this correction. The church was repaired again in 1888. All men between the ages of 16 and 70 in the village were required to attend this repair. The neglected were allowed to pay their daily work for one and a half marks. At that time, a lightning conductor, among other things, was installed in the church. In 1904 the church was renovated again.
The village of Ylikannus became independent from Suur-Lohtaja in 1859. At that time, the name of the municipality also became Kannus. When completed in 1886, the Ostrobothnian Railway enlivened the life of Kannus as well. Several shops were established in the village and the Eklöv sawmill in the vicinity of the railway station brought wealth to the municipality. At that time, the municipality also established a land trade, a sawmill, a brick factory, a milk skinning station and a steam dairy. Migration, which began in the late 19th century, also took spurs to the United States. Between 1872 and 1917, 2,555 residents moved to the United States. The most famous spokesman who moved to the United States was Oskari Tokoi. In 1919, the Korpelankoski power plant was built in Kannus. A great fire in 1934 badly destroyed the church village of Kannus. The population of Kannus grew slowly in the first half of the 20th century. In 1923 there were 5,556 inhabitants, but in 1952 there were already more than 6,200. After that, the population of the city began to decline steadily due to emigration. At the beginning of the 1970s, there were just under 5,000 inhabitants. At that time, however, the population decline stopped and the population began to grow again. In 1985, 5,867 people lived in Kannus. Kannus received city rights in early 1986. Recently, the population has remained fairly the same, meaning it has not just increased, but has not decreased either.