Keuruu, formerly Keuru (Swedish: Keuru), is a Finnish city located in the province of Central Finland, 60 kilometers west of Jyväskylä. The city is home to about 9,500 people, in addition to which there are plenty of holiday homes in Keuruu.
Geography and nature
The neighboring municipalities of Keuruu are Jämsä, Multia, Mänttä-Vilppula, Petäjävesi, Virrat and Ähtäri. Of the neighboring municipalities, Ähtäri belongs to Southern Ostrobothnia, Virrat and Mänttä-Vilppula to Pirkanmaa and others to Central Finland.
Highway 23 divides the city in an east-west direction, from the south becomes main road 58. Haapamäki is a railway crossing station: the railway from Haapamäki to Jyväskylä runs through the center of Keuruu.
Keuruu is a hilly and forested municipality, the nature of which reflects the presence of Suomenselä. There are many lakes and bogs in Keuruu. The church village of Keuruu is also located by the water. There is a little over a tenth of the surface area of Keuruu. The largest lake is Keurusselkä and the associated Ukonselkä.
There are nine Natura sites in the Keuruu area, in whole or in part: Hirvijärvi, Huhkojärvi's long and narrow gorge lake, Pihlajavesi and upstream small waters, Pihlajavesi route favored by otters and trout, Raiski forests, Siipikangas, Tuomistonjoki, Vesilahdensuo - Kurkisuo ja - Kurkisuo
Parts of the central city of Keuruu
Loila, Suojärvi, Suolahti, Kurkiniemi, Ketvelniemi, Kivelä, Keuruunkylä, Pappilanniemi, Nyyssänniemi, Otava, Mustasaari, Melonsaari
South Keuruu, Haapamäki, Jukojärvi, Liesjärvi, Pihlajavesi, Valkealahti, Ampiala, Karimo, Kivijärvi, Lavikko, Riiho, Lihjamo, Kaleton
The parish of Keuruu was founded in 1652. Before that, it was the Ruovesi chapel parish called Lapinsalmi from 1628. Since then, Multia and Pihlajavesi separated from Keuruu, but Pihlajavesi rejoined Keuruu in 1969. Keuruu was planned in the 1970s, but this did not materialize. Instead, Keuruu became a city in 1986.
Keuruu was home to the Pioneer Regiment, which had been part of the Defense Forces since 1967. It trained about a thousand pioneer and conservation conscripts each year. In all, it managed to train a total of about 50,000 conscripts. The regiment had 250 employees. The pioneer regiment was disbanded in late 2014, and the last rookies entered service in January 2014.