Kristiinankaupunki has a population of 6,485 and covers an area
of 1,678.98 km², of which 14.50 km² is inland water and 981.44 km²
is sea. The population density is 9.49 inhabitants / km². The city
is bilingual, and 40.9% of its inhabitants speak Finnish and 55.1%
Swedish as their mother tongue.
Kristiinankaupunki is the longest currently used municipal name in Finland. The shorter name of the city is also Kristiina.
Kristiinankaupunki and Tiukka were first mentioned in official writings in 1303. The area of the city was originally inhabited by Häme residents. At that time, immigrants from Sweden were allowed to settle in the "land of the people of Häme".
In the 16th century, farmers in the area sought permission to build a town at the mouth of the Tiukanjoki River. At that time, the nearest city, Vaasa, was a long way away and transporting goods on winding and bumpy roads required hard work.
Kristiinankaupunki was founded in 1649 on the island of Koppö, the parish of Lapäärtt, and the city was initially renamed Koppöstad. On March 1, 1651, Governor-General Peter Brahe renamed the city Kristinae Stadh (Swedish: Christinae Stadh). Brahe named the city after the current queen Kristiina, but it is very possible that she also thought of her own wife, Countess Kristina Katarina Stenbock, who died in 1650. Surveyor Claes Claesson drew a town plan for the city at the request of Peter Brahe in 1651 according to a Renaissance grid pattern. The town plan is still largely in use.
Kristiinankaupunki became an important shipping city. In the 19th century, Kristiinankaupunki housed one of the largest merchant fleets in the country. The countryside surrounding the city developed in the late 19th century. The crown distillery was located in Tiuka and several mills were located on the banks of the Tiukanjoki river.
On January 31, 1918, the Battle of Kristiinankaupunki was fought, which was the only battle between reds and whites in Southern Ostrobothnia during the Finnish Civil War.
The current Kristiinankaupunki has included the former municipalities of Tiukka, Siipyy and Lapväärtti since 1973, in addition to the center of Kristiinankaupunki.