Kurikka

 

Kurikka is a Finnish city located in the province of Southern Ostrobothnia. Kurika has a population of 20,550 (30 June 2020) and an area of 1,743.95 km² (1 January 2020), of which 1,724.67 km² of land and 19.28 km² of inland waters.

The municipality of Jurva joined Kurikka at the beginning of 2009, Jalasjärvi at the beginning of 2016. Due to municipal associations, Kurikka is today the largest city in the province of Southern Ostrobothnia in terms of area and the second largest in terms of population. Kurikka is also Finland's largest agricultural operator in terms of agricultural income.

 

History

There is written evidence of the settlement of Kurika since the 1540s. As conditions improved in Finland, industrialization began in Kurika at the beginning of the 20th century in the metal and wood industries. Kurika Chapel was founded in 1672. The municipality became independent from Ilmajoki in 1868 and received commercial rights in 1966. Kurika became a town in 1977.

Kurikka initially belonged to the Isonkyrö parish. Kurika then became a preaching room belonging to the Ilmajoki Chapel, founded in 1516, and Kurikka, which became a chapel in 1672, and got its name from the Kurika houses settled on the east bank of the Kyrönjoki River near the center of Kurika. Kurika's first inhabitant came to these wilderness forests from Lempäälä or Pirkkala, where Kurika's house has been before. The municipality of Kurika in Pirkkala is still a memory of that. Facing Kurikan Church, on the other side of the river, there is still the oldest remaining Kurikan position of these stores, Wähä-Kurikka (current breast-Kurikka). It still stands in the same place, on a high tributary above Kurikanlahti (Meijerinlampi). The oldest basement parts of the house date back to the 15th and 15th centuries. According to his travel diary, King Gustav II Adolf of Sweden spent his night in the house with his entourage in the winter of 1626 on his way around the Gulf of Bothnia to Stockholm. (Uppsala University Library. King's Diary. Elars Collections)