Loviisa (Lovisa)


Loviisa (Swedish: Lovisa, until 1752 Degerby) is a Finnish city founded in 1745 in Uusimaa. Loviisa has a population of 14,754 people and an area of 1,751.52 km², of which 25.84 km² is inland water and 905.94 km² is sea. The population density is 18 inhabitants / km². The city is bilingual, with 55 per cent of its inhabitants speaking Finnish and 41 per cent Swedish.

The neighboring municipalities of Loviisa are Kouvola, Lapinjärvi, Myrskylä, Porvoo and Pyhtää. The city belongs to the Loviisa region. Pernaja, Liljendal and Ruotsinpyhtää were merged with Loviisa at the beginning of 2010.



The city of Degerby was founded on the lands of the Degerby equestrian farm in Pernaja in 1745 as a border and fortress city. Eastern Finland needed a new staple town in the peace of Turku in 1743 because of the eastern border. Behind the border was Hamina, the only town in Eastern Finland. In 1748, the newly established city began to build a border fortress known as the Loviisa Fortress, but construction work was interrupted due to the financial difficulties of the Kingdom of Sweden. Only part of the exterior equipment was completed in the fortress. The history of the fortress town is reminiscent of the bastions Rosen and Ungern to the east of the present center.

King Adad Fredrik of Sweden visited Degerby in 1752 and gave the city a new name after his wife Loviisa, Queen Uloviika.

At the same time as the Loviisa Fortress, construction of the Svartholma Sea Fortress began on the south side of the city. The purpose of the sea fortress was to protect the city from the sea and to provide a haven for the Swedish coastal fleet. The Anglo-French naval division destroyed the island's equipment during the Crimean War and the fortress was left to decay. Since the 1960s, the fortress has been restored under the direction of the National Board of Antiquities. Renovations of the fort were completed by 1998, the island's anniversary year. During the summer, the island hosts a different program for both locals and tourists. Guided tours, an exciting children's adventure and the island's own restaurant attract boaters as well as passengers on the ferry that runs from the city of Loviisa at regular intervals.

The town is also known for its old town, which was spared the great fire of Loviisa in 1855. The old town houses the annex of the Degerby equestrian farm, which dates back to the 17th century. It is one of the oldest wooden buildings in Finland. The city also has the only wooden Seurahuone in Finland that has survived a fire, with a library-media library following the restoration. The first church in Loviisa was destroyed in a city fire. The present neo-Gothic Loviisa Church was consecrated in 1865.

During the Finnish Civil War on April 7, 1918, the German department Brandenstein landed in Loviisa White, advancing to Uuteenkylä and Lahti. It left Loviisa on December 16, 1918, after Germany was defeated in World War I.

Olavi Kaleva, who has been the mayor for 15 years, resigned in the spring of 2017. The reason for the resignation was a disagreement with the city government. In December 2017, Jan D. Oker-Blom took office for a seven-year term.