Naantali (Nådendal)


Naantali (Swedish: Nådendal) is a city in Finland. It is located in the province of Southwest Finland. The municipality is home to 19,373 people and covers an area of 687.99 km², of which 3.93 km² is inland water. The population density is 62 inhabitants / km². 97.6% of the city's residents are Finnish-speaking and 1.7% Swedish-speaking.

The summer residence of the President of the Republic, Kultaranta, is located in Naantali.

Merimasku, Rymättylä and Velku joined Naantali at the beginning of 2009. The name and coat of arms of the city remained unchanged. On 1 January 2011, the Association of Finnish Associations moved the Livonsaari and Lempisaari areas from Mask to Naantali. After the connections, the population became less than 20,000. The connected areas increased the total area of the city by about 50 square kilometers, the land area is more than 27 km², the rest is water.

According to the 2008 municipal image survey of the Economic Survey, Naantali has the best image of municipalities in its size class (less than 20,000 inhabitants).



The center of Naantali is on the mainland side. In addition to this, Naantali includes the islands of Luonnonmaa and Otava, as well as a large number of smaller islands, such as Kailo, Livonsaari and Palva. The island region is mostly forested and rural, while the mainland is mostly agglomeration.

Naantali's neighboring municipalities are Parainen, Masku, Raisio, Taivassalo and Turku.

The distance from Naantali to Turku is 16 kilometers.



Naantali is one of the oldest cities in Finland. It was founded in the Middle Ages around the Georgian monastery and the church that still dominates its city. The city was founded by King Kristofer of Bavaria, who originally moved the monastery of Masku to Karinkylä (1438) to the Naantali Church in 1443. The monastery was granted the right to trade, and the city began to grow around it. The city also became a major pilgrimage site. The letters vg in the coat of arms of Naantali come from the Latin name of the monastery in Karinkylä, Vallis gratiae (Nådendal, ‘Valley of Grace’).

The monastery was closed in the 16th century after the Reformation. This marked a major recession for the city, during which it was known as the monastery’s heritage, mainly for its woven socks. The recession lasted until the middle of the 18th century. In that case, the city received a customs boom and a customs chamber.

Spa operations in Naantali began as early as 1723 when the Viluluoto health spring was opened. However, operations did not stabilize until 1863, when the spa was moved to the city shore below the church. In 1868, the still operating restaurant Kaivohuone was completed. The operation of the old spa ended when demand decreased in 1863. In 1922, Kultaranta on Natural Land became the summer residence of the President of the Republic.

The city had a better time in the 1950s, when the heavy industrial units that dominated its economy were established. In 1964, the city's population grew significantly when Naantali and the larger rural countryside of Naantali were merged. In 1984, the company of Turku-based entrepreneurs Ritva and Pekka Niemi, Kuntoutusyhtymä Oy, built a new and modern spa in Kalevanniemi. This raised the city’s reputation as a travel destination.