Nokia is a Finnish city located in the province of Pirkanmaa. The city has a population of 34,294 and covers an area of 347.83 km², of which 59.53 km² are water bodies. The population density is 119 inhabitants / km². Nokia's neighboring municipalities are Hämeenkyrö, Pirkkala, Sastamala, Tampere, Vesilahti and Ylöjärvi. Nokia's coat of arms was designed by Gustaf von Numers and confirmed in 1951. Nokia is the second largest municipality in Pirkanmaa after Tampere.

Nokia is an industrial city and the starting point for some Finnish brands, the most famous of which are the former conglomerate and the current telecommunications company Nokia and the clothing manufacturer Nanso.



Nokia's landscape is dominated by Pyhäjärvi, Nokianvirta and Kulovesi. Pyhäjärvi is the central lake in the Kokemäenjoki watershed, where the waters of the Vanajavesi route join to the south and the Näsijärvi route to the north. Pyhäjärvi flows down the Nokianvirta, which flows in a deep gorge valley, into Kulovesi, where the waters of the Ikaalinen route from the northwest flow down to Siuronkoski. At the western border, Kulovesi also receives water from the direction of Mouhijärvi in ​​the Leukaluiden Strait and on the southern shore to the bottom of Sarkolanlahti, the Lanajoki River, which originates from the lakes in the western part of Vesilahti. The smaller lakes in the Nokia area are Vihnusjärvi, Kalliojärvi, Ylinenjärvi and Alinenjärvi to the north of the Nokianvirta and Lake Teernijärvi to the south.

The surface area of ​​the Nokia area is very variable and the terrain elevation differences are quite large in many places. The highest terrain in the city is on the cliff north of Lake Ruokejärvi (188 m above sea level). Until the 1970s, Kivipyykkivuori (163 m above sea level), located south of Kulovesi, was the confluence of the borders of Nokia, Suoniemi and Tottijärvi. The farmlands in the central and western parts of the city are concentrated in a narrow strip of water on the banks of the water. Nokia is part of the core area of ​​the Pirkkala grove center, but with the settlement, the groves have largely disappeared. The shoreline conditions in the Nokian stream were largely destroyed by rising water levels. In the remaining grove forests, among other things, elm and walnut bush grow.



Occasional Stone Age artefacts have been found in the Nokia area, but permanent settlement was not established until the Iron Age. Several Iron Age cemeteries, the oldest of which date back to the beginning of the 5th century, have been found along the shores of the water body from Kulovesi to Pyhäjärvi. It has been concluded that the settlement has entered the Nokia area along the Kokemäenjoki River from its downstream direction. Siuro Castle Hill is one of the ancient castles along the Kokemäenjoki River. Emäkoski was the center of medieval Suur-Pirkkala.

During the Mallet War, at the turn of the year 1596–1597, Nokia was confronted by the blankets and nests led by Klaus Fleming and the peasants led by Jaakko Ilka (Battle of Nokia). A monument designed by Gabriel Engberg was erected on the battlefield in 1933.

Emäkoski was inaugurated in the 18th century, which created a lot more farmland in the area, but in the middle of the 19th century the rapids themselves still used only three small mills. Engineer Fredrik Idestam built a wood grinder, Nokia's first industrial plant, on the edge of the rapids in 1868. The wood grinder was transformed into a limited company in 1871, when it was renamed Nokia Oy. The company began producing paper in 1880, and in 1885 Finland's first sulphite pulp mill was built in connection with it. A sawmill, a mill and a brick factory also operate in connection with the factories. A decisive step forward for the factories was the completion of the Tampere-Pori railway in 1895; For Nokia Oy's own transports, the track had been opened until Tampere as early as 1893. Industrial activity intensified further when Suomen Gummitehdas Oy moved from Helsinki to Nokia in 1903. Kumitehdas began producing car tires in 1932 and manufacturing winter car tires in 1937, the first in the world. In 1921, Nokian Kutomo Oy (now Nanso Group Oy) began operations. In 1941, SOK's Nokia mill was completed.

The former Pitkäniemi manor was opened in 1900 by a mental hospital, which operated under the name of the Pitkäniemi care facility until 1932. In 1955, the hospital was transferred from the state to the ownership of the Pohjois-Häme mental hospital district formed by 28 municipalities. Today, it is owned by the Pirkanmaa Hospital District as part of Tampere University Hospital.


In 1922, the municipality of Pirkkala was divided into North and South Pirkkala when the border crossed in Pyhäjärvi, over which there was no road connection at that time. In 1937, Pohjois-Pirkkala was divided when Pispala was annexed to Tampere and the remaining part of the municipality was formed into a township. Pohjois-Pirkkala changed its name to Nokia in 1938 and at the same time Etelä-Pirkkala took back the name of the old mother, Pirkkala, which it still has. The first town plan for the Nokia store was approved in 1941. After the delay caused by the wars, the development of the store gained momentum in the late 1940s. In 1940, Nokia had 10,066 inhabitants, in 1950 it had a population of 15,376 and in 1960 it had a population of 18,410.

After the Winter War, the Jaakkima Joint School was transferred to Nokia from the territory ceded to the Soviet Union, which changed its name to the Nokia Joint School. The school became the university’s leading college in 1950. With the transition to the elementary school system, the college became Nokia High School in 1976. The Emäkoski Co-educational School, owned by the city, was founded in 1957, where high school classes began in 1962. The Vocational School, originally owned by Nokia Oy, was transferred to the then shop in 1956. Nokia Workers' College began operations in 1945.

In the 1940s, a whole new community emerged from scratch on Nokia's then western border when Valmet Oy's Linnavuori plant was established. It was decided to locate the plant in facilities to be mined inside the mountain. Construction began in 1942 and production began in 1946. The plant initially manufactured aircraft engines, but also played a major role in war reparations supplies as a manufacturer of marine and locomotive engines and compressors. Production of diesel engines for tractors began in 1957, and later engines for machine tools and boats, machine tools, aggregates and engine sprayers were added.

The Melo hydropower plant was completed in Nokianvirta in 1971, using the entire waterfall height from Pyhäjärvi to Kulovesi (approximately 19.5 meters). At the same time, the old power plant, built a little higher and built in 1913, was demolished.

In the 1970s, Nokia's area increased many times over when the then municipalities of Tottijärvi and Suoniemi were incorporated.

After the last wars, Nokia was inhabited by settlers from Lake Pyhäjärvi (Vpl).

Etymology of the name
The word nois (plural nokiit, genitive nokia) has been claimed to mean sable fur, which would indicate that Nokia was a key trading place where sable furs were the most valuable commodity. Recent research, however, has speculated that sabers would not have belonged to the Finnish fauna, even in ancient times. Nokia would mean beaver. On the other hand, it is thought to have originally meant black- or dark-furry animals, which would explain its connection to the word soot - in comparison to the watershed designation ferret.

The word nokia often appears in the name of water bodies, so it may have meant a nesting place for a fur animal.