Pieksämäki is a Finnish city in the northwestern part of the province of Southern Savonia. The city has a population of 17,605 and an area of 1,836.23 km², of which 267.52 km² are water bodies. The population density is 11.22 inhabitants / km². Pieksämäki's neighboring municipalities are Hankasalmi, Joroinen, Juva, Kangasniemi, Leppävirta, Mikkeli, Rautalampi and Suonenjoki.
The landscapes of Pieksämäki are characterized by high
moraine ridges. These ridges formed a permanent settlement as early
as the 15th and 16th centuries. The latest studies show that
Pieksämäki has had a continuous settlement history for more than
The parish of Pieksämäki was founded during 1574–1575. The town of Pieksämä was separated from the parish of Pieksämäki in 1930. In 1948, the name of the town was changed back to Pieksämäki and it became a city in 1962.
The Church of Finland's Indoor Mission Society moved its operations in 1944 from Sortavala to Pieksämäki. The society was engaged in publishing and printing, and maintained colleges. Finland's only economics school for the hearing impaired, the State Railways Locomotive School and many other educational institutions owned by the Bovallius Foundation was also established in the locality. The current Air Force School of the Defense Forces was established in the Naarajärvi airport area in the early 1940s as the Air Force Message Warehouse.
The wooden church of the rural parish is located in the area of the city of Pieksämäki. Its belfry is the oldest building in Pieksämäki. The brick church of the city parish, designed by Keijo Ström and Olavi Tuomisto, operates on the principle of a multi-purpose church. The city's third church is the Pieksämäki Orthodox Church, designed by Toivo Paatela.
The City of Pieksämäki and the Municipality of Pieksänmaa merged and the areas formed a new City of Pieksämäki on 1 January 2007. At the beginning of 2004, Pieksämäki was formed at the confluence of the rural municipalities of Pieksämäki, Jäppilä and Virtasalmi.