Brennhausen Castle

 

Location: Sulzdorf an der Lederhecke, Bavaria  Map

Constructed: 12th century

 

Description of Brennhausen Castle

Brennhausen Castle is located in Sulzdorf an der Lederhecke, Bavaria in Germany. Brennhausen Castle was originally found in the 12th century. Initially it started as a guard tower. Over several centuries it was increased further and was later encircled by a moat. Today Brennhausen Fortress is a private property and it is not inaccessible to the public.

 

History

There are only a few reliable records about the older history of the castle on the border between the Haßberge and the Grabfeld. Some parts of the complex seem to go back to the 13th century. It was not until 1421 that a Truchsess von Brunnhausen appeared in a document from the Counts of Henneberg. Other documents date from 1439 and 1522. In the second half of the 17th century, the Würzburg monastery enfeoffed the fortress commander Franz Günter of Königshofen with the rule. Günter was raised to the nobility at the same time and henceforth called himself Günter von Brennhausen. The personal fiefdom reverted to the bishopric in 1681 and was awarded to Baron Hans Kaspar von Bibra in the same year as compensation for the Burgwallbach that had been drawn in. His grandson Friedrich Gotthelf founded the line of the barons of Bibra-Brennhausen, who still live in the castle. An inscription announces a renovation in 1861. The castle, which has been extensively renovated over the past decades, is completely surrounded by water again.

Description
The castle lies lonely on a rectangular, brick terrace in the valley floor. The former moats and the castle pond have now been restored. The inventory volume from 1915 only lists swampy meadows there. Access is from the west via a stone bridge. On this side and in the north, the castle district is closed off by a few residential and farm buildings.

The castle consists of two Gothic residential towers, which are connected by an angular intermediate building. The rectangular, four-story north tower, which, like the other components, is rounded off by a high, tile-covered gable roof, is particularly striking. The other components are lower, including the square south tower. The complex consists largely of unplastered, irregular sandstone masonry with toothed corner cuboids, some with half-timbered attachments. A few lavatory bays have been preserved on the outside. The small courtyard was originally closed by a transverse wall, the remains of which are still attached to the south wing.

Inside, some rooms on the ground floor are spanned by simple cross vaults. Some of the rooms on the upper floors have flat ceilings with baroque stucco frames.