10 largest cities in Germany
Berlin
Hamburg
Munich
Cologne
Frankfurt am Main
Hanover
Dusseldorf
Leipzig
Bremen
Dresden

 

Celle

 

Celle is a district town in Lower Saxony on the southern edge of the Lüneburg Heath. It is located about 30 kilometers north-east of Hanover. The city of Celle, which is also known as the southern gateway to the Lüneburg Heath, attracts travelers from all over the world, in particular with its well-preserved half-timbered old town and its castle with one of the oldest theaters in Europe. The old town, surrounded by the Aller in the north and spared from destruction in the Second World War, consists of a good 400 half-timbered houses, most of which have been extensively renovated, and forms a particularly interesting ensemble of completely preserved streets and alleys around the Great Plan and the Stechbahn. The place is also known as the seat of the Lower Saxony State Stud, where the Hanoverian warmblood horses, world-famous in equestrian sports, are bred.

 

Destinations

Churches, synagogues
1 Stadtkirche St. Marien, An der Stadtkirche 8, 29221 Celle. Tel .: +49 51 41 77 35, email: info@stadtkirche-celle.de.  Twice a day, at 9:30 a.m. and 5:30 p.m., the tower blower climbs up the 74.5 m high tower of the 700 year old church and blows a chorale in all four directions like in the old days. The start of construction of the three-aisled Gothic hall church coincides with the time the city was founded; it was consecrated as St. Mary's Church by the Bishop of Hildesheim as early as 1308. In the years 1676 - 1698 the building was provided with a barrel vault and redesigned in Baroque style. Particularly worth seeing are: the altar from 1613, the grave monuments of the Guelph Dukes (16th / 17th century) in the choir, the gallery pictures (17th century) and the baroque organ reconstructed in 1999 based on the original plans from 1687. While one side of the Stechbahn is lined with half-timbered houses, the town church rises up on the other side. Open: Tue-Sat 10 a.m. - 6 p.m., Jan. - March only until 5 p.m. (except during church services). Climbing of the church tower possible Tue-Sat 10-11.45 a.m. and 2-4.45 p.m. Price: ascent of the tower, adults € 1, children € 0.50.
2 St. Ludwig Church, Julius-von-der-Wall-Str. 1, 29221 Celle. Tel .: +49 51 41 9 74 48 10, email: pfarrbuero@st-ludwig-celle.de.  The catholic church was built by city architect J.D.A Spetzler. It is Northern Germany's only purely classical church building. The church was formerly a private building outside the city walls of the city of Celle. There was no Catholic church in Celle, so in 1710 the private house became a chapel for the mostly foreign Catholics. The chapel was only consecrated as a church in 1838. The towers were not added to the house until 1881. The central axis of the French Garden runs towards the church, better from the front of the church with the towers.
3 Synagogue, Im Kreise 24, 29221 Celle. In the background of the building is the synagogue, built around 1740, the oldest surviving Jewish building in Northern Germany. Parts of the Torah shrine with its elaborate crowning date from the time it was built. Celle has had a new Jewish community since 1997, and the synagogue is used for church services. A small museum in the neighboring house is used to present changing exhibitions on Jewish history. Open: Tue-Thu 12 p.m. - 5 p.m., Fri 10 a.m. - 3 p.m., Sun 12 p.m. - 5 p.m.

Castles, chateaux and palaces
4 Celle Castle, Schloßplatz 1, 29221 Celle. Tel .: +49 51 41 12 373, Fax: +49 51 41 12 76 05, E-Mail: fuehrungen@celle-tourismus.de.  The oldest building in the city is the Celle Castle. Mentioned for the first time in 1318 as "castrum", its oldest parts date from the second half of the 13th century. Over time, the initially simple castle was converted into an elaborate four-wing complex and expanded, with a unique mixture of Renaissance and Baroque. The Residenz Museum is located in the east wing of the palace. The castle houses the oldest baroque theater in Germany that is still in use today, as well as the castle chapel, the only church north of the Alps with fully preserved Renaissance furnishings. As part of a guided tour of the palace, you can also visit the residence museum located in the ducal apartments, the baroque state apartments and the palace kitchen. Open: Guided tours: Apr. - Oct. Tue - Fri + Sun 11 a.m., 1 p.m., 3 p.m., Sat 11 a.m. - 3 p.m. every hour. Nov - March Tue - Fri: 11 a.m. 3 p.m., Sat + Sun 11 a.m., 1 p.m., 3 p.m. Price: adults € 7, reduced € 5.

Buildings
In the old town alone there are over 400 restored, listed half-timbered houses to marvel at, which offer a picturesque picture and leave an unforgettable impression. Special historical buildings are:

5 Stechinelli House The Großer Plan 14 house is named after the ducal court agent and general inheritance postmaster Francesco Stechinelli (1640-1694), who lived in it from 1675 onwards. The current building in classical style was built in 1795.
6 Old Marstall Of the farm and stable buildings, the so-called outer bailey of Celle Castle, there is only the old Marstall in the Westcellertorstrasse / corner of Schlossplatz. The building with its carefully crafted ashlar walls was built in 1664. In the gable is the coat of arms of the last Duke Georg Wilhelm.
7 Hoppener Haus The corner house at Poststrasse / Rundestrasse, one of the most elaborate half-timbered buildings in the city, was built by the ducal rentmaster Simon Hoppener. Exactly in front of it is a pipeline post with the heraldic lion, one of three water wells of the fiscal aqueduct from the 16th century.

8 Old Town Hall, Celle Town Hall, one of the oldest buildings in the city, consists of two parts. The older part rises above the Ratskeller with its Gothic ribbed vault. A kink in the outer front marks the construction seam of the extension from 1580/81. In the 16th century, the older part of the building was also modernized and given the elaborate facade painting, which was only uncovered and reconstructed in 1985. The north gable, a masterpiece of the Weser Renaissance, also dates from that time.

Museums
9 Bomann Museum, Schloßplatz 7, 29221 Celle. Tel .: +49 51 41 12 372, fax: +49 51 41 12 535, email: bomann-museum@celle.de.  One of the most beautiful and largest regional museums in Northern Germany. The focus of the collection is the cultural history of the Lower Saxony area and the state and city history. Among other things, a fully furnished farmhouse, rural and bourgeois parlors, urban and rural clothing as well as aspects of Celle's craft and industrial history are shown. Open: Tue-Sun 10 a.m. - 5 p.m. Price: adults € 5, child. up to 14 years free.
10 Residence Museum in Celle Castle, Schlossplatz 1, 29221 Celle. Tel .: +49 51 41 12 373, Fax: +49 51 41 12 535, E-Mail: counter.schloss@celle-tourismus.de.  The Celle Castle, the oldest building in the city with the foundation walls from 1292 and the former residence of the mighty Principality of Lüneburg. A guided tour is offered through the early baroque, ducal state chambers, the oldest, still in permanent use castle theater in Germany (only to be visited after the rehearsal), a furnished castle kitchen from the 18th century and the castle chapel with a completely preserved Renaissance interior from 16th Century. Open: Tue – Sun 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Price: adults € 5, child. up to 14 years free.
24-hour art museum, Schlossplatz 7, 29221 Celle. Tel .: + 49 51 41 12 685, Fax: + 49 51 41 12 495, E-Mail: kunstmuseum@celle.de.  39854828 - a worldwide unique museum concept is registered under this number at the German Trademark and Patent Office in Munich: the 24-hour art museum offers encounters with modern and contemporary art from the Robert Simon collection in the morning, noon, evening and night. 24-hour art museum means that there is something to discover around the clock. The house changes its face every half day - with the opening and closing of the doors. The day and night sides can almost never be visited at the same time. If you want to see the whole museum, you come twice - day and night. The Kunstmuseum Celle is located directly opposite the Residenzschloss in the middle of the historic city center of Celle, at the Bomann Museum. Open: Tue-Sun 10 a.m. - 5 p.m. At night from the outside: daily 5pm - 10am.
11 Celler Garrison Museum, Hafenstr. 4, 29223 Celle. Tel .: +49 51 41 21 46 42. The Garrison Museum deals with the history of the Celle Garrison from 1866 to the present day. It houses an extensive collection of uniforms, firearms and edged weapons, medals and decorations as well as numerous original items of equipment from the history of the Celle garrison. The collection is supplemented by a wide variety of documents: letters, photographs, certificates, postcards, contemporary paintings. A communications device from 1916 to 2000 is also shown. Open: Wed 1-6pm, Sat 10 am-2pm. Groups by appointment, also outside of opening hours. Guided tours by arrangement. Dec-Feb closed. Price: Free entry, donations welcome.
Haesler Museum live and live in Bauhaus architecture, Rauterbergweg 1, 29221 Celle. Tel .: +49 51 41 98 00 67, Fax: +49 51 41 88 12 74, E-Mail: info@haeslerstiftung.de.  In the former washing and bathing house of Blumläger Feld (1930/31), plans, photos and models of buildings by the architect Otto Haesler can be seen in addition to the original furnishings. There are also two apartments that have been reconstructed in the style of the 1930s and 1950s or their structural design is shown. Open: every 1st Sunday of the month 3 p.m. - 6 p.m. and by appointment. Price: Free entry.
12 LAVES - Institute for Apiculture, Herzogin-Eleonore-Allee 5 (French Garden), 29221 Celle. Tel .: +49 51 41 90 50 340, Fax: +49 51 41 90 50 344. In order to promote beekeeping, the decline of which went hand in hand with the shrinking of the heather, the Bee Institute - today LAVES - Institute for Bee Research Celle was founded. Today, the tasks of the institute include the education and training of beekeepers, a nationwide advisory service as well as diverse research and investigation tasks (chemical and biological honey research, bee pathology, costume research, ecological importance of honey and wild bees, beekeeping). The presentation "Beekeeping" in the stairwell from 1607 and in parts of the former orangery building from 1677 is worth seeing. Open: Mon - Thu 9am - 12pm and 2pm - 3.30pm, Fri 9am - 12pm.

Schützenmuseum, Altencellertorstraße 1, 29221 Celle. Tel .: +49 51 41 84 145, Fax: +49 51 41 24 741. The shooting museum in the "Haus der Stadtmauer" founded in 1976 offers the unique painting gallery of the main kings of Celle, combined with an exhibition of royal orders, shooting awards, trophies and Documents from the last centuries in the Celle shooting range. Guns are not shown. Open: In the summer months Sun 10 a.m. - 12 p.m. Price: Free entry.

Streets and squares
An important reason for many travelers to come to Celle is the old town with more than 400 half-timbered houses. The city survived the Second World War without a bomb attack, so the old town was completely preserved as an ensemble. All houses are listed and have been restored. Very little new building fabric was added. Motor vehicle traffic is largely kept out of the old town, most of the alleys and paths are pedestrian zones and only a few streets are open to traffic as a 30 km / h zone.

In the numerous half-timbered streets there is a wide range of shops and restaurants. The old town is also lively on weekends. Many restaurants offer picturesque backyards for dining. Anyone who comes to Celle on a sunny day is lucky, because the light of the sun gives the city a special touch.

Large plan, main square of the old town with fully preserved half-timbered ensemble on all rows of houses.

A look into Kalandgasse opens up a dreamy, romantic street. The Latin school with its rich carving is particularly worth seeing. The Kalandgasse flows into the Stechbahn, the former tournament area with the court pharmacy and now the lion pharmacy built around 1530. There is a horseshoe in the pavement in front of the building. It marks the place where Duke Otto the Magnanimous is said to have had an accident in 1471.

Parks
French garden The French garden was probably named after the French gardeners Perronet (from 1670) and Rene Dahuron (1690-1701), who were in the service of Duke Georg Wilhelm in Celle. In the years 1695 and 1696 a double avenue of lime trees was planted and gave the garden a dominant central axis in east-west direction that still exists today. In 1705 Celle lost its function as a royal seat. The garden was neglected and only experienced a new brief period of prosperity under the court gardener Krantz in 1772. The occasion was the banishment of the Danish Queen Caroline Mathilde to Celle. For them was i.a. a summer house was built by the pond and a monument was erected in 1784, which disappeared as early as 1801. In the middle of the 19th century, it was gradually converted into an English landscape park. After the First World War, the children's playground, which still exists today, was laid out in the east, a small rose garden in the west and the State Institute for Bee Research was founded in 1927 by separating the northern part of the garden. The French Garden is now a protected garden monument.

Palace Park Today, the palace grounds are a popular meeting point not only for the citizens of Celle, but also for our numerous tourists who either start from here with a city tour or relax from shopping. The prehistory of the palace complex begins in the late 18th century. The area between the castle and the castle moat, which is reduced to an average width of 23 feet (approx. 6.7 m), was planted with trees and used as a promenade along a poplar avenue leading all around.

Trift systems - The originally old cattle drift in front of the Westerceller Tor was planned for the first time in 1680 under the last Duke of Celle, Georg Wilhelm (1624-1705), in a so-called "suggestion scratch". The background to this was the necessary urban expansion in the west. The Trift was supposed to serve as a main line in an east-west direction for the northern and southern development and would thus have stood in the tradition of the typical urban expansion plans of the second half of the 17th century. In addition to its historical significance for urban development and the green space that characterizes the cityscape, today the Trift is primarily used for recreation close to home in the countryside for the adjacent, very densely built-up residential areas in the south and west.

 

City garden - A new city garden was created on the site of the former heather barracks on the edge of the old town and immediately south of the historic French garden. The 1.9 hectare city garden is located in the middle of the traditional military area, which will in future be determined by living and concentration, especially of the city administration offices. The showpiece is a 2,200 m² water surface that ends in a circular area with a diameter of a good 20 m. Over 70 new large trees, 3,000 shrubs and 1,000 hedge plants structure the garden and guide the visitor on the newly built paths to the desired destination. But there are also plenty of incentives to linger: 1,500 roses of all kinds, 25,000 perennials and 20,000 flower bulbs will surely not only delight bees and butterflies with their blooms and their scent, but also as a new attraction the citizens of Celle and the tourists.

Medicinal plant garden in Celle. One of the largest medicinal plant gardens in Europe is located between the Allerwiesen and Wittinger Straße, covering around 7,000 m². You can stroll between medicinal herbs or enjoy the bubbling spring pot. Over 300 scented, aromatic, poisonous and magic plants are presented, references to Sebastian Kneipp and Hildegard von Bingen are shown. In addition to your own explorations using the information boards, guided tours can also be attended (group tour 1 hour for € 50, or public tours from June to September on the 1st and 3rd Saturday of the month for € 2.50 / person, meeting at the main entrance on Wittinger Straße, beginning at 2:30 p.m.). Open: March to November daily from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Price: Admission is free except for special events.

The Cafe KräuTher and the KräuTher shop are located on the premises (see website). The café and shop are open Wed-Sun from 2:00 pm to 6:00 pm, closed Mon / Tuesdays, and Fri 12:00 noon for senior lunches.

various
Aqua Celle. in the sewage treatment plant, presents entertaining knowledge about the topic of water. In the permanent exhibition, multimedia information material - from water production and consumption to wastewater treatment - is comprehensively and clearly presented. The visitors experience the practice as part of a tour of the site, which is technically, scenically and architecturally one of the most presentable facilities in Germany.
Celle hydroelectric power station. The historic Celle hydroelectric power station is located north of the old town. If you drive east from Neumarkt into Hafenstrasse, you will find a free car park on the right. From here you can already see the hydroelectric power station. The rapids of the Aller used to be here, which hindered shipping to Braunschweig. All freight had to be reloaded in the port. Eventually, the Aller was dammed up because trade with Braunschweig no longer played a role.
Lower Saxony State Stud Celle, Spörckenstrasse 10, 29221 Celle. Tel .: +49 51 41 92 940, fax: +49 51 41 92 94 31, email: poststelle@lgst-celle.niedersachsen.de.  The state stud was founded on July 27, 1735 by Elector Georg II of Hanover, it is the breeding center of one of the most important warmblood horse breeds in the world, the Hanoverians. The stallions stationed in the state stud are fathers of many internationally known sport horses, the state stud with its branches such as The stallion rearing station in Hunnesrück near Dassel is a destination for horse lovers from all over the world. The annual stallion parades that take place on the last weekend of September and the first weekend in October are a special experience. The state stud can be visited, and it is possible to visit many of the historical stables and watch the stallions being trained in the riding arenas. Open: Mo-Fr 8.30 a.m. - 5.00 p.m., Sa 8.30 a.m. - 11.30 a.m.

 

Getting there

By plane
The nearest international airport is Hanover Airport (IATA code: HAJ). From the airport there is a rail connection via Hanover main station to Celle.

Arloh Airport near the district of Scheuen is only approved for sport aircraft up to 3.5 t.

By train
Celle is on the Hanover - Hamburg railway line, the Bahnhof Bahnhof is just outside the city center. Half-hourly connections during the day in the direction of Hanover, hourly in the direction of Uelzen.

S6 / 7 via Burgdorf (Hanover) and Lehrte (only S7) to Hanover (35/45 min.)
Metronome to Hamburg via Uelzen, or to Hanover (approx. 25 min.) And on to Göttingen.
The IC from Frankfurt am Main to Hamburg stops once or several times a day. The IC takes approx. 18 minutes to and from Hanover.
Rare ICE stop.

By bus
Celle is served by various coach companies from all over Germany. There are connections to all major cities. There is no central bus station. All buses stop at the central transfer point "Schlossplatz", which is right in the old town.

By street
Celle is a little off the German autobahn, but the B3, which is an extension of the A37 from Hanover to Celle, is almost completely two-lane in each direction. To the north, the B3 continues via Soltau to Hamburg. The B214, another important connection, continues west towards Nienburg (Weser) and south-east to Braunschweig.

Coming from Hamburg, leave the A7 motorway at exit 45 (Soltau Süd) and follow the B3 to the southeast for approx. 42 km.
Coming from the south, leave the A7 at Kreuz 56 (Hannover Kirchhorst) onto the A37 (the so-called moor motorway), which later merges into the B3. Follow this for 29 km to Celle.
From the west, take the A2 to Hanover and change to the A37 / B3 at the Hannover Buchholz junction (exit 47) - 33 km to Celle.
Coming from Berlin or Braunschweig, leave the A2 at junction 53 (BS-Watenbüttel) and drive for 42 km on the B241.
The German half-timbered street leads through the place.

By boat
From Celle, the Aller is navigable downstream as a federal waterway with larger ships. In earlier times, the port of Celle was an important transshipment port for goods on the route between Braunschweig and Bremen, the importance of which only declined from around 1900.

Today the Aller is only used by excursion boats. There is no regular service to larger cities. The Allernixe, the Lower Saxony and the coat of arms of Celle are operated. From the port of Celle it goes west. The river meanders past the villages of Boye, Stedden, Oldau, Winsen and Bannetze. There is a small restaurant on the ships.

Celle Harbor / Yacht Club Celle, Hafenstr. 11c, 29233 Celle. Tel .: +49 51 41 55 07 05, +49 15 11 29 20 841 (both harbor masters). The port of Celle has been operated by the Celle Yacht Club since the final cessation of commercial shipping in 1970, which also offers berths for guests.

Canoe hikers also use the Aller, which can be ridden leisurely even when tired, and with more current from Celle. Placement in Celle e.g. in Boye.

By bicycle
The Aller cycle path is long-distance cycle path 7 of the Lower Saxony network. Coming from Gifhorn it is about 47 km to Celle, further west leading is the next larger town Schwarmstedt, which can be reached after about 41 km on the Aller cycle path.

The Lüneburger-Heide-Radweg and the Celle-Gifhorn long-distance cycle path are also signposted, but they are largely congruent with the Aller cycle path.

On foot
The following long-distance hiking trails lead through or to Celle:

the European long-distance hiking trail E1
the Heidschnuckenweg leads from Hamburg-Neugraben-Fischbek and others. via Buchholz in the north heath, Schneverdingen, Soltau and Müden (Oertze) to Celle, where the path ends at the castle.
the Via Scandinavica, the Scandinavian Way of St. James, the German section of which leads from Fehmarn via Lübeck and Lüneburg through Celle and on to Göttingen.

 

Around the city

The old town is easy to explore on foot, there are five parking garages around it, four of which are in the immediate vicinity of the city center, which are well signposted. There are also two parking pallets, one directly at the swimming pool. Half of the places are free here.

Celle is also a bike-friendly city with many bike paths, including on the main roads. Only a few streets in the surrounding area do not have a separate cycle path.

The CeBus company ensures regional local transport. The buses in the city area of Celle and in the nearby towns run quite frequently from the train station to the Schlossplatz every 15 minutes. Buses to the district, often only every hour.