10 largest cities in Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Cochem (formerly also Kochem) is the district town and the largest town in the Rhineland-Palatinate district of Cochem-Zell. With just over 5000 inhabitants, Cochem is the smallest district town in Germany before Kusel. Since June 7th, 2009 she has been a member of the Cochem community. According to state planning, Cochem is designated as a medium-sized center.
Cochem was already settled in the times of the Celts
and Romans. In the year 886 it is mentioned for the first time as
villa cuchema in a document. Other names: Cuhckeme, Chuckeme 893,
Cochemo 1051, Chuchumo 1056, Kuchema 1130, Cuchemo 1136, Cocheme
1144, then Cuchme, until the 18th century Cochheim / Cocheim. Cochem
was an imperial property, was pledged to the Archdiocese of Trier in
1294 under King Adolf von Nassau and remained in Electorate of Trier
until the French occupation in 1794. In 1332 Cochem was granted city
rights, and the city fortifications that still exist today were
built soon afterwards. An epidemic of plague raged in the city
between 1423 and 1425. In 1623, Elector Lothar von Metternich
initiated the establishment of a Capuchin convent and the
construction of a small monastery. During the Thirty Years War, the
city was besieged but not conquered. In 1689 Louis XIV's troops
first burned down the Winneburg and then conquered the town and
castle of Cochem. The reconstruction was slow. French revolutionary
troops occupied Cochem in 1794, and in 1815 the site was assigned to
the Kingdom of Prussia at the Congress of Vienna. Jacob Frederic
Louis Ravené bought the ruins of the former imperial castle in 1866
and began rebuilding. Only after the construction of the Moselle
bridge in Cochem in 1927 were the two fishing villages of Cond and
Sehl incorporated in the course of an administrative reform in 1932.
On January 23, 1927 the first Moselle bridge, the Skagerrak Bridge,
was inaugurated. During the Second World War, bombs destroyed large
parts of Cochem's old town and the Moselle bridge. After the war,
the bridge was rebuilt and inaugurated on September 29, 1949. Since
1946 the city has been part of the then newly founded state of
The second Cochem Moselle Bridge (also called the North Bridge) was built between 1990 and 1993 and inaugurated on September 3, 1993.
In 2011, a 500 kg aircraft bomb from the Second World War was found and defused during renovations by Deutsche Bahn. Another, smaller bomb in the vicinity was discovered years ago, but was concreted in at the time and remains in its place because it is considered harmless and the cost of a possible recovery would be high.