10 largest cities in Germany
Berlin
Hamburg
Munich
Cologne
Frankfurt am Main
Hanover
Dusseldorf
Leipzig
Bremen
Dresden

 

Freiberg

 

The university town of Freiberg is a large district town and mining town roughly in the middle of the Free State of Saxony between Dresden and Chemnitz. It is the administrative seat of the district of Central Saxony, formed in 2008, and with the Freiberg Mining Academy founded in 1765, it is the seat of the oldest still existing technical and mining science university in the world.

The entire historic city center is a listed building. Together with local monuments of mining history such as the Reichen Zeche, it has been a UNESCO World Heritage Site of the Ore Mountains Mining Region since 2019. Until 1969, the city was characterized by mining and the iron and steel industry for around 800 years. In the last few decades there has been a structural change to a high-tech location in the field of semiconductor manufacturing and solar technology, making Freiberg part of Silicon Saxony. According to the city administration, 39,318 inhabitants lived in the actual city without districts as of December 31, 2015.

 

Destinations

theatre
The Brandenburger Theater is the city theater. It has not had its own ensemble since the mid-1990s, but it has its own symphony orchestra. It is the home of the Brandenburg Symphony Orchestra and has guest performances.

The Event Theater is a free theater in the city that operates, for example, the Fontaneklub, a cultural center that is home to a cabaret, a cinema and a restaurant. The Stahlpalast is Brandenburg's largest multi-purpose event hall. Among other things, it is used for concerts.

Brandenburg Symphony Orchestra
The events of the Brandenburg Symphony Orchestra are an integral part of Brandenburg's cultural life. In Brandenburg an der Havel the symphony concerts and special concerts u. a. In the industrial museum, Brandenburg Cathedral, St. Pauli monastery or the open air at Beetzsee fixed program items in the city's cultural life.

The orchestra not only acts as a symphony orchestra, but also at opera performances in Brandenburg an der Havel and has played for years in the opera productions of the Rheinsberg Castle Chamber Opera. The Brandenburger Symphoniker perform regularly in Berlin (Konzerthaus, Philharmonie), Potsdam (Nikolaisaal), Frankfurt (Oder) (Kleist Forum), Stendal (Theater der Altmark) as well as in other cities in the state of Brandenburg, but also make guest appearances throughout Germany and in Foreign countries. Guest appearances have taken the orchestra to the USA, Japan, South Africa, Spain and China. The Brandenburg Symphony Orchestra are regular guests at the MúsicaMallorca Festival in Palma de Mallorca.

The Jacaranda Ensemble (founded in 1997) is a German instrumental ensemble made up of five musicians and soloists from the Brandenburg Symphony Orchestra. The ensemble wants to build a bridge between the cultures of the world with its music. Concert tours have taken the Jacaranda Ensemble across Europe, the USA and Asia.

Event venues
The home of the Brandenburger Theater is the CulturCongressCentrumm in Grabenstrasse. Outside the theater, this can be used for various events. Trade fairs and celebrations take place in the premises.

The Officers' House (BTE) is a socio-cultural center that regularly hosts concerts, dance events and workshops. A large number of well-known artists have already performed in the BTE.

Museums
The State Archaeological Museum in the Paulikloster was opened on September 24, 2008. It presents around 130,000 years of history in the Brandenburg region.

The cathedral museum in the cathedral exam houses, among other things, the documents of the first mention of the cities of Kölln and Berlin. Above all, it preserves sacred art such as chalices and liturgical vestments.

The Brandenburg Industrial Museum is located in the former VEB steel and rolling mill on the silo canal. The steelworks was the last in Western Europe that produced steel using the Siemens-Martin process until 1993. In addition to the old technology for the Siemens-Martin process, the industrial museum houses the “Brennabor in Brandenburg” exhibition, which offers an insight into the company's history. With the museum, the city is also part of the European Route of Industrial Culture.

The Brandenburg City Museum is located at two locations. The museum in the Frey-Haus as a branch of the city museum houses the city history museum. This is located in the former Frey House of Colonel Ewald Weding von Massow at Ritterstraße 96 in the old town of Brandenburg. It was created after the industrialist Ernst Paul Lehmann made the Frey House building available in 1922. Among other things, it houses the so-called Katte sword. In the permanent exhibition The Climbing Monkey Tom, mechanical tin toys manufactured in Brandenburg are shown, among others from the Lehmanns toy factory. The museum in the Steintorturm, which is also affiliated with the city museum, offers permanent exhibitions on the Brandenburg Havel shipping. In addition, the gate tower is an observation tower with a view over the city.

 

The Brandenburg an der Havel Museum Harbor was set up at the port of the former Wiemann an der Havel shipyard between the old town and Neustadt. Ships on display are, for example, the steam tugs Nordstern from Nordstern Reederei and Luise from Historischer Hafen Brandenburg a. d. Havel e. V.

The Brandenburg Memorials Foundation maintains the Brandenburg-Görden prison memorial and the memorial for the victims of the euthanasia murders in the city.

In the psychiatric-neurological Asklepios Fachklinikum Brandenburg in the Görden district, a psychiatry museum is open to the public.

The tram museum of Verkehrsbetriebe Brandenburg in a former depot in Bauhofstrasse shows exhibits from the over 100-year history of the tram in Brandenburg.

The Slawendorf open-air museum on the right bank of the Havel river downstream from the old town is operated by the Brandenburg UG, founded for this purpose, together with BAS, which is active in various areas of social work. Various village and other buildings from the medieval Slav period before 1157 were reproduced in it.

Buildings
In the list of architectural monuments in Brandenburg an der Havel, in the list of architectural monuments in Brandenburg an der Havel (outside areas) and in the list of ground monuments in Brandenburg an der Havel are the cultural monuments entered in the list of monuments of the state of Brandenburg.

The city is a member of the working group "Cities with Historic Town Centers" and part of the European Route of Brick Gothic.

Churches
The cathedral of St. Peter and Paul rises on the cathedral island, until the 20th century this was the separate municipality of Brandenburg Cathedral. The parish church for the secular residents of Brandenburg Cathedral has been the St. Petri Chapel since 1320, which emerged from the castle chapel of the Margrave's seat, which, however, had been relocated to Brandenburg Neustadt in 1230.

The St. Katharinen Church is the Protestant parish church of Neustadt and an outstanding example of brick Gothic from the 15th century. The Dominican monastery and church of St. Pauli is located on the site of the former margravial court in the southwest of the new town. After the reconstruction of the monastery complex, which was badly damaged in World War II, the complex has been home to the State Archaeological Museum since November 2007.

St. Gotthardt, the Protestant parish church in the old town, is one of the oldest church buildings in the city and was also used as a bishop's church before the cathedral was built. It includes three architectural styles. The portal was built in Romanesque style, the nave is Gothic, the tower is Baroque. St. Johannis is located on the southwestern edge of the old town and was the church of the Franciscan monastery. It stands at the so-called Salzhof on the north bank of the Havel. Badly damaged in World War II, it was only restored for the 2015 Federal Horticultural Show.

Medieval churches were also built in front of the city gates. The Nikolaikirche is just 300 m in front of the Plauer Tor in the old town. The Romanesque brick basilica with an open roof was built from 1170. It is said to have been intended for the only documented settlement of Luckenberg, possibly a merchant town that was then not realized. The St. Jacob Chapel, located about 400 m west of the New Town's stone gate, is popularly known as the Crazy Chapel, as the entire structure was moved eleven meters to the west as part of a road widening in 1892. In January 2005 the Jakobskapelle was named “Monument of the Month” by the working group “Cities with Historic Town Centers”. From 1220 to April 20, 1722, the four-tower St. Mary's Church was located on the Harlunger- or Marienberg, a well-known pilgrimage church with an attached Premonstratensian canon monastery.

The Catholic parish church of the Holy Trinity in the New Town was furnished with modern glass art, a cycle by the London artist Graham Jones creation. from dark to light (2005/2006). The catholic church St. Elisabeth auf dem Görden belongs to the Trinity parish. The Catholic St. Bernhard Chapel in the listed rolling mill settlement was profaned in 2014.

 

The Evangelical Christ Church, which was built in the New Objectivity style, is located in the rolling mill settlement. The Protestant Church of the Resurrection is on the Görden. The most modern church building in Brandenburg is the New Apostolic Church on Mühlengraben, consecrated in 2011.

The parish church of Plaue was built in the late Romanesque style at the beginning of the 13th century and expanded into a two-aisled hall church in the 16th century in the brick Gothic style. She was the burial place of several noble families who owned Schloss Plaue. Crypts and the tomb of Lily Countess von Koenigsmarcks remind of this. The Catholic Church of the Holy Spirit in Kirchmöser belongs to the parish of St. Marien in Genthin in Saxony-Anhalt and to the diocese of Magdeburg. The background is the fact that Kirchmöser historically belonged to the district of Jerichow II in the Prussian province of Saxony.

Several village churches came to the city area in the course of incorporation. The Neuendorf village church is a small baroque hall church. There is a neo-baroque school and prayer house in Wilhelmsdorf. The lower parts of the tower of the Klein Kreutz village church date from the Gothic period, while the rest of the church was rebuilt in the 19th century in a mixed neo-Romanesque and neo-Gothic style in place of the previous building. In the church there is a Marian altar and picture panels from the previous building. The Mahlenzien village church is a Romanesque stone church. It dates from the 13th century. The baroque interior of the church dates from the 18th century. What is striking is the lack of paint on the pulpit altar, the patronage and other church stalls and the gallery.

Secular buildings
The completely separate medieval wall rings of Brandenburg's old town and new town have been preserved in parts. There are also four city gate towers. The town fortifications of the old town include the Rathenower Gate Tower and the Plauer Gate Tower, named after the destinations of the country roads that begin here. The other two gate towers belong to the Neustadt: The Steintorturm is the largest gate tower in Brandenburg and has controlled traffic in the south-west via the Heerstrasse to Magdeburg. The exit over the Mühlendamm to the cathedral and further to the northeast was monitored from the Neustadt Mühlentorturm.

The old town hall on the old town market is an outstanding example of 15th century brick Gothic. In contrast to the New Town Hall, it remained undamaged in the Second World War and is now home to the city council and the mayor's office. The adjoining Ordonnanzhaus at Schusterstraße 6 is a Gothic building, the oldest parts of which date from the 14th century. It is considered the oldest civil secular building in the Mark Brandenburg. Other buildings on the market are the Secretariat and Syndikatshaus, a twin house with an impressive Renaissance gable, and the Inspector's House, a single-storey baroque building with a mansard roof.

The Gothic House on the corner of Ritterstraße and Johanneskirchgasse in the old town is one of the most important examples of secular architecture in the north German brick Gothic with its almost completely original, late medieval cubature and structure. Another important building is the Quitzowhaus on Bäckerstraße, at the corner of Schusterstraße, as the only surviving Renaissance half-timbered building with decorative half-timbering in Lower Saxony in Brandenburg. At the beginning of the 20th century, the renaissance portal of Carpzow's house from the new town was added to the old school building of the old town Latin school Saldria on Gotthardtkirchplatz. The house of the manufacturer Ernst Paul Lehmann on Plauer Strasse has been an outstanding example of Art Nouveau architecture since the renovation and furnishing by the Berlin architect Bruno Möhring (* 1863; † 1929)

Carpzow's house at Steinstrasse 57, the ancestral seat of the learned Carpzov family, is one of the secular buildings of the new town. The house is a gable-independent Renaissance building from 1563. The old Neustadt school of scholars on Katharinenkirchplatz is an early classical building and houses the town's registry office. In the Packhofstrasse there is a former tattersall (stable for guest horses), which was acquired by the New Apostolic congregation in 1939 and used as a church until 2008.

 

The Brandenburg Cathedral retreat goes back to the Romanesque period. One of the Gothic wings has retained its character, one was redesigned in a simple baroque style, and one was replaced by a neo-Gothic school building in the 19th century. Cathedral Curia V has an elaborately designed Gothic brick gable and, despite changes from the 20th century, has Gothic details on the long sides as well. The other cathedral curiae are kept in a simple baroque style. One is the rectory of the cathedral parish.

In addition to individual buildings of remarkable architectural history, the city of Brandenburg also has some architecturally closed city quarters:

The oldest of these quarters and at the same time the oldest settlement core in the city is the cathedral island. Here are:
the cathedral,
the St. Peter's Chapel,
the cathedral exam (cathedral monastery)
Cathedral curia or canon houses,
Remains of Brandenburg Castle

The Temnitz district between Sankt-Annen-Strasse and the Paulikloster is a successful work of modern reconstruction after the Second World War. After heavy fighting in the last days of the Second World War, the old monastery district was completely destroyed. Between 1952 and 1958 it was rebuilt as a compact, uniformly styled ensemble. The planning competition, the 1st prize of which was won by Professor Wagner from the Weimar University of Architecture and the 2nd prize by the Brandenburg architects Kluge and Stolze, required strict alignment with the requirements of Berlin's Stalinallee. Even though significantly fewer funds were available for decorating the facades than was the case with Stalinallee, the sculptor Hans Klakow was still able to design it Episode has been removed. In the course of the incorporation, several castles and mansions came to the city over the decades. Plaue Castle was built in the early 18th century in the Baroque style, but it goes back to a medieval castle, which in turn had its origins in a Slavic rampart. The Gollwitz manor, which is also baroque, dates from the second half of the 18th century. The Mahlenzien manor is a classicist building from the early 19th century.

Some of the high-rise buildings in the city of Brandenburg an der Havel are also exemplary for their era. Like many other buildings in the newer residential areas, they were extensively renovated from the 1990s onwards by the municipal housing company Wobra, the legal successor to the former VEB Gebäudewirtschaft of the City of Brandenburg. The skyscraper Sankt-Annen-Strasse, formerly Friedensstrasse, at the southern entrance to the city of Neustadt (Sankt-Annen-Strasse 10–12), was built in 1959 and 1960 according to the designs of the architect Gerhard Herrmann. An eleven-story building on Brielower Strasse at the northeast entrance to the city was built in 1963 under the same architect. As the largest of the Brandenburg skyscrapers, the so-called book skyscraper was built in 1977 in today's Kreyssigstrasse, also an eleven-storey house with 108 residential units in prefabricated construction. With their barely neoclassical handwriting with special consideration of local traditions, the architects were able to implement an "adapted, site-specific expression", "which one cannot claim to have 'Stalinist architectural forms'."

Works of art in public space
Roland
The Roland von Brandenburg was erected in 1474 on the market square of the Neustadt and is 5.35 meters high. In 1716, the sandstone figure was moved to the town hall because it disturbed the Prussian garrison troops while they were exercising. Since the Roland had been relocated and buried in an external property of the city since 1941 during the Second World War, it was not affected by the destruction of the New Town Hall in the bombing in 1945 and found its current place in 1946 next to the portal of the Old Town Hall. In addition to emphasizing urban independence, the establishment of the Brandenburg Roland was also an expression of the city's economic prosperity. This Roland from 1474 had a probably wooden predecessor from 1402. A copy of the Brandenburg Roland was made in 1905 for the Märkisches Museum Berlin and erected in front of the entrance portal.