10 largest cities in Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hildesheim is located in the south of Lower Saxony and is mainly
known as a university and episcopal city. The rose is a symbol of
the city. It is called Rose City because of the millennial rose bush
and the approximately 50,000 roses in the city area. The cathedral
city is regarded as the secret cultural capital of Lower Saxony and
celebrated its 1,200th anniversary in 2015. In the UNESCO World
Heritage City of Hildesheim, there are numerous sights and art
treasures of world class to marvel at.
At the point where the Hellweg crossed the Innerste, there was probably a settlement and a sanctuary already in pre-Franconian times.
In 815, Ludwig the Pious founded the diocese of Hildesheim and built a Marienkapelle on the cathedral hill, from which the cathedral developed. The cathedral courtyard is considered to be the nucleus of the city of Hildesheim. The coat of arms was awarded to the city by Emperor Charles V in 1528.
The historic old town of Hildesheim consisted of over 1900 half-timbered buildings and was often called "Nuremberg of the North" until World War II. However, among city historians and art historians, Nuremberg was considered much more than the "Hildesheim of the South". The half-timbered houses were designed in typical old Hildesheim half-timbered architecture, richly decorated house facades shaped the old town and made the city world famous. The city was considered the most beautiful half-timbered town in Europe. A tragic bomb attack in the last days of the war destroyed around 90% of the unique old town. Only a few streets in the southern old town have been preserved. The city center today consists largely of buildings from the post-war period that adhere to the historically evolved urban structures. However, the many important architectural monuments have been completely reconstructed at great expense. "Building sins" of past centuries were often eliminated and the original shape of the building could be restored. Last but not least, the result is the inclusion of two buildings on the UNESCO World Heritage List.
A special feature is the history of the half-timbered houses: Hildesheim was considered the most beautiful half-timbered town until the end of the war. Around 200 of these particularly fire-endangered buildings survived the Second World War, around five streets (see Neustadt) and others. the richly decorated Werner House (1606) or the baroque half-timbered box house (1668). Most were replaced in the 1950s by simple plastered brick buildings, on which at most a small relief represented the historical predecessor building. There are also post-war buildings that have a bay window and are thus reminiscent of the old half-timbered bay windows. In the 1980s, the simple buildings were demolished again after three decades at important places, such as the market square, and the previous buildings were reconstructed as completely new buildings based on old plans and illustrations. Today the historic market square shines in its old splendor.
The city lies at the transition from the fertile Hildesheimer Börde (part of the north German lowlands) to the hilly area of the Harz foreland. Therefore there is a difference in altitude of more than 200 m in the urban area. In the Moritzberg district, some old streets (Kleine Steuer, Große Steuer and parts of Brauhausstraße) are designed as stairs because of the steep gradient. The highest point in the city is the Sonnenberg at 281 m.