10 largest cities in Germany
Berlin
Hamburg
Munich
Cologne
Frankfurt am Main
Hanover
Dusseldorf
Leipzig
Bremen
Dresden

 

Husum

 

Husum (North Frisian Hüsem) is the district town of the district of North Friesland in Schleswig-Holstein. The city is known literarily as the gray city by the sea. The urban area of Husum extends on both sides of the Husumer Mühlenau. This crosses the two harbor basins within the urban area and flows into the Wadden Sea depth of the Hever. The city is also located at the transition from the Schleswig Geest to the Eiderstedter Marsch region, which begins to the southwest. In the adjoining outer area to the north, the Porrenkoog (originally: Nordhusumer Koog) and in 1848 the Dockkoog were diked to secure the Husum urban area. The Husumer Mühlenau flows past both bows to the south in the North Frisian Wadden Sea area. The northwestern district of Schobüll is in turn on the Geestrücken, which is advancing here to the northwest.

 

Destinations

Marienkirche (Husum)
The Marienkirche in Husum, built between 1829 and 1833 according to designs by the Danish state master builder Christian Frederik Hansen, is considered one of the main works of classicism in the state of Schleswig-Holstein. A Holy Cross chapel built in 1436 initially belonged to the parish of Mildstedt and became an independent parish church in 1448 as the Marienkirche. Through several extensions and extensions up to the completion of the Gothic choir in 1510, it became one of the largest sacred buildings in the country. The almost one hundred meter high tower had a steep octagonal helmet and was crowned with a baroque lantern.

In 1807 the church was torn down, allegedly because of its dilapidation, which is considered to be one of the greatest losses in the architectural history of Schleswig-Holstein. The Vicelinkirche in Neumünster suffered a similar fate; it was also replaced in 1828–34 by a new building designed by Hansen and closely related to the Husum church.

Former equipment
With the exception of a painted epitaph and the bronze baptismal font (see below), the furnishings of the Gothic church were auctioned and scattered in 1807: A late Gothic carved winged altar, around 1510, has been in the St. Jakobikirche in Schwabstedt since 1834.

Hans Brüggemann, one of the most important Gothic carvers who lived in Husum between 1514 and 1523, brought a group of sculptures of St. George slaying a dragon from St. Mary's Church to the Danish National Museum in Copenhagen, and the popular image of an angel playing the lute dated and dated 1520 Sacrament house, the remaining parts of which have been completely lost, is exhibited in the sculpture collection of the Berlin museums.

Architecture
The new building, designed by Hansen, whose father came from Husum, from 1812 onwards and implemented in 1829–1833, left space for today's market square in front of the west facade, as it was significantly smaller than its Gothic predecessor. A tower rises out of the rectangular building in yellow brick on the west side facing the market, which only emerges as a rusticated risalit from the front in the basement. The main entrance, framed with pilasters and gable, runs through its axis. A cylindrical cupola covered with copper crowns the tower. The two-storey windows on the long sides are due to the built-in gallery.

The interior of the flat-roofed hall is determined by the double row of Doric columns. They carry heavy beams behind which the galleries are hidden. The length of the originally undisturbed classicist room is now reduced by the organ loft in the west, which was added in 1962. The color of the room had been reconstructed in 1984 according to the original version (warm beige, granite-red columns), but after that the company returned to the pure white that had meanwhile been preferred.

Furnishing
The row of columns inside leads the view of the pulpit above the altar, which is framed by an Ionic pilaster pedicle. The monumental, semicircular wall section above originally contained the organ. Apart from a painted pastor's epitaph (1576), only the bronze baptism donated in 1643 was taken over from the old church in the new building. The gilded bronze cast by gunsmith Lorenz Karsten based on models carved by Husum snitger Bernd Cornelissen is reminiscent of medieval baptismal fonts. Four seated evangelists form the supporting figures of the actual basin, the walls of which are covered by reliefs of the baptism of Christ and the apostles as well as a coat of arms of the founding administrator, Marcus Lüders.

Organ
The organ was built in 1963 by the organ builder Detlef Kleuker (Brackwede) and expanded in 1996 by the organ building company Lothar E. Banzhaf based in Husum to include an echo work without its own keyboard.

At the end of October 2016 the organ was shut down due to technical defects. The old organ was dismantled in March 2019 and brought to Warsaw for reprocessing. A fundraising campaign has been started to finance the new organ. The organ building company Klais has been commissioned to plan the new organ. The new organ with 42 registers, 41 rows of pipes with up to 61 pipes and 2430 pipes (168 made of wood and 2262 made of various tin alloys) could sound as early as 2022.