10 largest cities in Germany
Berlin
Hamburg
Munich
Cologne
Frankfurt am Main
Hanover
Dusseldorf
Leipzig
Bremen
Dresden

 

Limburg an der Lahn

 

Limburg an der Lahn (officially: Limburg a. d. Lahn) is the district town of the Central Hessian district of Limburg-Weilburg and, with around 35,000 inhabitants, its most populous city.

According to Hessian state planning, the city of Limburg fulfills the function of a medium-sized center with an upper-central partial function and, together with the neighboring Rhineland-Palatinate city of Diez, forms a cross-border dual center with around 45,000 inhabitants. Due to its location, Limburg has a central function for the sparsely populated western part of Hesse as well as for parts of the Westerwaldkreis and the Rhein-Lahn-Kreis in Rhineland-Palatinate.

The city is known nationwide mainly for the diocese of the same name with its cathedral church, the late Romanesque cathedral St. Georg, and the Limburg Süd train station on the high-speed route Cologne-Rhine / Main.

 

Destinations

Old town
The old town impresses with its numerous restored half-timbered houses and one of the oldest houses in Germany.

Limburg Cathedral, Domplatz. The cathedral, also known as St. George's Cathedral, is located above the old town next to Limburg Castle. Due to its high location above the Lahn, the cathedral is visible from afar. The basilica is considered to be one of the most accomplished late Romanesque buildings. The original church was probably built from 910 onwards. The construction of today's cathedral began between 1175 and 1200. The inauguration took place in 1235 by the Archbishop of Trier Theoderich von Wied. The cathedral is a three-aisled basilica that combines late Romanesque and early Gothic elements. It has seven towers. Limburg is a bishopric. Public tours of the cathedral are offered Tuesdays to Fridays at 11 a.m. and 3 p.m., Saturdays at 3 p.m. and Sundays at 11.45 a.m. participation costs 3 euros.
Gothic House Romans 2-4-6 is a National Monument. It was built in 1289 in the style of a Gothic hall house. After extensive research with the confirmation of findings, the house was restored and reopened in 1989. During the restoration two alterations from 1581-1583 and around 1610 were documented.
House Brückengasse 9 represents the seven trucks. It was built in 1567. The figures carved in the beam heads represent the court journey, avarice, envy, unchastity, intemperance, anger and indolence (from right to left).
House Kleine Rütsche 4 was built in 1289 and completely rebuilt in 1670. It stands at the narrowest point of the city passage on the old Flanders - Byzantium trade route.
The old collegiate vicarie was built around 1515 within the old castle complex. It was the Burgmannenhaus of the Lords of Staffel. At the front gable there is a beautiful bay window with posts and arches over a console stone and a lateral octagonal half-timbered stair tower.
Fischmarkt 16/17 house was probably built in the 15th century and later divided under the ridge. In the 18th century, a mezzanine was built into the hall. During the restoration the original character of the house was restored.
House Römer 1 is a typical Burgmannenhof. Its northern part was built in 1296 and its southern part around 1500. The stair tower and the gallery were added as part of the restoration. Today it is used as a spacious residential building.