10 largest cities in Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Oldenburg in Oldenburg is the third largest city in Lower Saxony.
It is about 40 km west of Bremen and 90 km south of the North Sea
coast and 40 km south of the Jade Bay. The former royal seat or
capital of the State of Oldenburg has nine districts, each of which
is subdivided into further districts. As the regional center between
the Weser and Ems, Oldenburg is the administrative, economic and
cultural center of north-western Lower Saxony.
The city is called Oldenburg in Oldenburg. The latter refers to the historic state of Oldenburg, which is a.o. in the name of the regions of Oldenburger Land and Oldenburger Münsterland. Oldenburg extends over an area of approx. 10,300 hectares. The old town with pedestrian area takes up 25 hectares. It is located approx. 45 km west of Bremen and 90 km south of the North Sea coast. The lowest position is around 0 m above sea level. NN and the highest position at 28 m above sea level. NN.
Oldenburg's economy is characterized by dynamic medium-sized companies and focuses on the service sector, banks and insurance companies, and increasingly by the high-tech sector and innovative spin-offs from universities. In the manufacturing sector, automotive suppliers, the food industry, printing companies, chemicals and services related to photography are leading. The energy sector, especially renewable energies, is a focus of economic development, alongside information technology, construction, real estate and the health sector.
Living and living in Oldenburg means neither small-town cosiness nor big-city hectic. The city manages the difficult balancing act between these two extremes with great ease. And that makes them extremely popular with people. Oldenburg regularly achieves top scores in surveys on residential satisfaction. This is certainly due to the settlement structure with its high proportion of single and two-family houses. Above all, however, it is thanks to the urban development qualities of the districts. Addresses in the districts surrounding the city center are in great demand: Judicial district, Dobbenviertel, Haarenesch, Ziegelhof, Ehnern, Bürgeresch and Alt Osternburg are characterized by a stable mix of a lot of historical buildings with modern additions. Green street spaces and detailed architecture on a human scale are just as important as the good local amenities and the central educational and cultural offerings. The new building quarters are characterized by high-quality urban spaces, good accessibility to public facilities and private offers and allow the building owners individual architecture - and at affordable building land prices.
Tourism: investing in education, research and creativity. Classicist architecture, traditional quarters, gastronomic diversity, shopping experiences with a high proportion of owner-managed retail as well as the creation of unique cultural highlights, top-class sport and the symbiosis between tradition and modernity are the engines of tourism competence.
St. Lamberti Church: With its striking five towers, the St. Lamberti Church rises on the Oldenburg market square. Built between 1155 and 1234 as a Romanesque hall church, it was rebuilt several times. Today, for example, the first external impression does not suggest that the rotunda, which is well worth seeing, is modeled on the Roman pantheon and awaits visitors inside. One of five round churches in Germany.
The eventful history of the church begins with the conversion between 1377 and 1531 from a hall church to a vaulted, three-aisled Gothic hall church. But over the next 250 years it deteriorated. Between 1791 and 1794, a new classicist rotunda with an entrance hall was replaced in the dilapidated walls. The then Duke Peter Friedrich Ludwig brought this style to Oldenburg; he also personally took care of the construction work on St. Lamberti Church. But as early as 1873 the temple-like church with a gable roof and without a bell tower was rebuilt again. The neo-Gothic sheathing that still exists today was built around the classicist rotunda, as well as the 86-meter-high bell tower and four other towers at the corners. To enable the organ to be installed, the main entrance had to be relocated in 1968 and the interior fittings adapted accordingly. In 2007 the church will be restored in the original classical color scheme, the chapel will be dismantled into a vestibule, the coffins of Count Anton Günther and his wife will return to the church and the cenotaphs in memory of the last count and the first duke will find their ancestral place again . New rooms are being built in the east, including the large “Lambertus Hall” on the first floor in the neo-Gothic apse of the church.
Gertrudenkapelle + cemetery with mausoleum at the fork in Alexanderstraße and Nadorster Straße. : 1428 Epidemic Hospital outside the city walls. Rebuilt in 1480. Medieval frescoes. In the cemetery there is a mausoleum as high as a house in the classicistic style, which Duke Peter Friedrich Ludwig had built for his wife, who died early (the beginning of classicism in Oldenburg). The final resting place of famous people.
Ev. Trinity Church: built 1614-1616. Hall church was built at the instigation of Count Anton Günther. Contains an Art Nouveau window with Christ as Judge of the World.
Catholic Church of St. Peter: built 1873-1876. First significant neo-Gothic building in Oldenburg. The hall church is equipped with a towering tower and richly structured by buttresses and tracery. The originally higher and steeper spire was destroyed by a hurricane in 1972. It has been restored in a very shortened form.
Ev.-luth. Garrison Church: built 1901-1903 for the Oldenburg garrison. The design shows early Gothic forms. After 1918 the church was used by the civil parish. Renovations took place in 1955 and 1974, which significantly changed the interior of the church.
Friedenskirche: The Methodist congregation in Oldenburg, which has existed since 1858, built its church in the neo-Gothic style in 1894 on the west side of Friedensplatz in an exposed location.
Synagogue: Jewish cultural center. Behind the cultural center PFL are some buildings that belonged to the former hospital complex. One of them, a former Baptist church (1868), has housed the synagogue and cultural center of the Jewish community, which was newly founded in 1992, since 1995. The new synagogue is therefore not far from the location of the former Oldenburg synagogue. It stood in Peterstrasse across from the PFL cultural center and was destroyed in the night of the pogroms in 1938.
Castles, chateaux and palaces
Oldenburg Castle. Built on the foundations of a medieval moated castle, the Oldenburg renaissance castle is now presented in bright yellow to the citizens and guests. Count Anton Günther had it built as a residence in place of the old "Aldenborg". Towards the Schlossplatz it rises up with an imposing bell tower. The subsequent sovereigns had the building extended by side wings. For example, the library wing was built under Duke Peter Friedrich Ludwig and the interior of the palace was redesigned in a classical style. The boundaries to the bourgeois areas have been marked since 1839 by the castle guard opposite, whose gable relief commemorates the victory over Napoleon. After the last Grand Duke abdicated in 1918 and the Free State was proclaimed, the palace became the State Museum for Art and Cultural History in 1923. In three buildings (Augusteum and Prinzenpalais) it not only shows 400-year-old exhibits by Tischbein or Italian Baroque painting from the possession of the former Grand Duke, but also the diversity and cultural and historical peculiarities of the Oldenburg region.
Old Town Hall: Today's town hall has stood on the triangular property on the market square since 1888. There were already two previous buildings. By 1635, the Gothic town hall built in 1355 had become dilapidated. Count Anton Günther had a Renaissance town hall built in its place. In the 19th century the city grew and the town hall became too small for the city administration. This circumstance should be remedied with a new building. In 1886 the Renaissance building was demolished. After discussions about the location of the new town hall, the decision was made to use the previous site. Under the architects Matthias von Holst and Carl Zaar (design) and Carl Franz Noack (execution), today's building was created with stylistic elements of neo-Gothic and neo-renaissance. The town hall is still the seat of the mayor today. Most of the city administration is housed in other buildings in the city.
Augusteum: With the Augusteum in the neo-Renaissance style, Oldenburg's first art museum was opened in 1867. Parts of the grand ducal painting collection can be seen today as well as the "Old Masters Gallery" of the State Museum for Art and Cultural History Oldenburg.
Cäcilienbrücke: over the coastal canal at the end of the dam / beginning of Bremer Straße. Built 1927-1928. When the Hunte-Ems Canal was expanded into a coastal canal, the narrow bascule bridge over the canal was replaced by a modern, electrically powered lift bridge. Its four squat bridge towers, executed in expressive clinker brick architecture, mark the entrance to the city. With a span of 40 meters, the Cecilia Bridge is an important technical cultural monument. The bridge's lane will be raised with steel cables and counterweights to allow ships to pass through.
Degodehaus: In 1676 a big fire raged in Oldenburg. More than 700 houses were burned down by a lightning strike. One of the few remaining houses is the Degodehaus on the market square from 1502. It was given its current form in 1616/17. The half-timbered house with its steep gable has a beautifully painted wooden ceiling inside. In 1645 this was commissioned by the then owner, Hermann Mylius von Gnadenfeld. It shows an allegorical representation of the worldview then represented. Incidentally, the house got its name from its former owner, the merchant Wilhelm Degode.
Oldenburg Central Station: In 1867 the first railway connection between Bremen, Oldenburg and Wilhelmshaven opened. The first station was a converted goods shed, later a neo-Gothic building was built near the horse market as a station. But at the beginning of the 20th century it was decided to build a new building at the current location. The Art Nouveau building was designed by the architect Friedrich Mettegang. With dark Bockhorn clinker brick on the outside, many preserved Art Nouveau elements can still be found in the interior. The well-preserved waiting room, in which the ticket sales are located today, is particularly worth seeing. The grand ducal family was given its own waiting and boarding area to the left of the train station, the so-called Prince's Hall.
Oldenburgisches Staatstheater: The impressive Wilhelminian-style theater welcomes guests from afar with its large dome. It was built in 1893 according to plans by the architect Gerhard Schnitger. These had already been implemented once in 1842, but the theater burned down. The imposing building captivates with its antique porch and the neo-baroque interior, especially of the large house. The main entrance and the small house can now be found in the extension, which was only added a few years ago. The big house is currently being renovated and from September 2011 it will shine in new splendor.
Lappan: The "angelappte", applied landmark from 1467, is the oldest in the city. The 35 m high bell tower with a Renaissance dome survived the fire of 1676 unscathed. The Holy Spirit Hospital belonging to the brick tower was destroyed. The Lappan received the distinctive hood in 1709 - the clapboard covering was replaced with copper fittings and gives the tower its “green” roof. Located on the outskirts of Oldenburg's city center, the tower today marks an important stop and junction for local transport in Oldenburg.
Peter Friedrich Ludwig Hospital (PFL): The former hospital in
Peterstraße goes back to plans by the architect Heinrich Strack. The
original idea for a hospital came from Otto Friedrich Ernst Lasius.
The classicist building was built between 1838 and 1841 on behalf of
Grand Duke Paul Friedrich August. The hospital was named in honor of
the late sovereign Peter Friedrich Ludwig, father of the Grand Duke.
After the hospital was closed in 1984 it became a cultural center.
Today the building, known for short as PFL, is the seat of the city
library. For example, the KIBUM children's book fair takes place
here every year.
Prinzenpalais: The classicist building on the access road into the Oldenburg city center was built by court architect Heinrich Carl Slevogt between 1821 and 1826. Slevogt, a student of Karl Friedrich Schinkel, was commissioned by the then Duke Peter Friedrich Ludwig. Under his rule, the city was converted into a residential city. In classical style he had the city renewed and expanded and thus created the - almost unique - today's cityscape. The two-storey Prinzenpalais became the residence of the Russian Princes Alexander and Peter, and later the Grand Duke Nikolaus Friedrich Peter. He had the building expanded again, for example with a south wing. After being used as a hospital, school building and official headquarters, it has belonged to the Oldenburg State Museum for Art and Cultural History since 2003. From Romanticism to Expressionism, the museum presents the development of the fine arts in Germany.
Powder tower, castle wall. Built in 1529, round building made of bricks and part of the former city fortifications of Oldenburg. Acts as an exhibition space today. The powder tower was used to store gunpowder until 1765. He received the conical dome only around 1735 during the Danish reign.
Peace column on Friedensplatz. The column, built in 1878 to commemorate the fallen in the war of 1870/1871, originally carried a bronze figure, which was removed during World War II for metal extraction.
Karl Jaspers statue on Cäcilienplatz (1983 by Christa Baumgärtel). The bust, which is in the humanistic tradition, was commissioned on the occasion of the 100th birthday of the philosopher Karl Jaspers and placed in the immediate vicinity of the house where he was born.
Julius Mosen on Julius Mosen Platz (1992 by Ivo Gohsmann, Stefan Sakic). Julius Mosen was a former dramaturge at the Oldenburger Hoftheater. The sculpture was commissioned by the Oldenburg businessman Kurt Müller-Meinhardt as part of the renovation of the square and presented as a gift to the city of Oldenburg.
Cushions on the town hall market in front of Galeria Kaufhof (1979 by Yoshito Fujibe). As a commodity known in many cultures, the pillow conveys the human need for relaxed sociability and interpersonal exchange in a generally understandable form. The provisional location corresponds to the Japanese usage.
Guardian of the State Theater (1974 by Gerhard Marcks, based on the model of the eldest daughter Brigitte) - healing, protective powers that God has placed in female nature.
Oldenburg is characterized by a density of important museums that arouse interest not only among art lovers far beyond the city limits.
Horst Janssen Museum. Horst Janssen got his own museum in Oldenburg in 2000. Janssen (1929-1995) is considered one of the greatest draftsmen and graphic artists of the 20th century. He spent his childhood in Oldenburg. In 1992 he was made an honorary citizen of the city and in 1995 he was buried in the St. Gertudenkirchhof in Oldenburg at his request. With the help of an Oldenburg patron, an extensive collection of his works was acquired, which forms the basis of the Horst Janssen Museum.
In a permanent exhibition on life and work, Janssen's work is
presented in exemplary drawings, watercolors, woodcuts, etchings and
lithographs. In addition to the graphic and graphic works, Janssen
is also presented as a writer. Objects from his personal
environment, such as utensils from his study, can be seen.
Multimedia stations enable visitors to create their own picture of
an extreme artist personality.
Horst Janssen was a draftsman, etcher, lithographer, woodcut artist, author, poster artist and illustrator. The many facets of Janssen's rich artistic talent are the subject of the permanent exhibition in the Horst Janssen Museum Oldenburg. In two halls with an area of around 600 square meters, all aspects of Horst Janssen's work are presented in ten content-related departments. The artistic all-rounder can thus be constantly experienced and understood in the museum, regardless of the subject of the respective temporary exhibition on the ground floor of the house.
Augusteum and Prinzenpalais: The Augusteum, built in 1867 in the style of the Italian Renaissance and elaborately designed in the spirit of historicism, was the first art museum in Oldenburg. Today, the building, which was specially built for this purpose, houses parts of the former Grand Ducal painting collection in the "Old Masters" collection, primarily Italian and Dutch paintings from the 16th to the 18th centuries and European paintings from the Middle Ages. Erected in the period from 1821-1826, the classicistic Prinzenpalais served the orphaned grandchildren (Princes Alexander and Peter) of Duke Peter Friedrich Ludwig as an appropriate domicile. After intermittent use, etc. As a military hospital during the First World War and as an authority building until 2001, it is now used for culture with the "Gallery of 19th and 20th Century Art".
Augusteum and Prinzenpalais belong to the State Museum for Art and Cultural History in Oldenburg Castle.
Edith Ruß House for Media Art: The Edith Ruß House for Media Art bears the name of the Oldenburg student Edith Maria Ruß, who bequeathed her fortune to the city with the condition to create a house "for art in the transition into the new millennium". The result is a facility that is unique in northern Germany: It is dedicated to the media that shape private and public life in the 21st century. Works by current artists who work with technologies such as video, computers and the Internet are on view Changing exhibitions is the increasing presence of new media and forms of communication in today's everyday world. Events such as artist talks, lectures and media (art) educational workshops offer the opportunity to get to know the artists shown and to learn more about new media Year several artists from different countries went to Oldenburg for a few weeks.
State Museum for Art and Cultural History: The State Museum for Art and Cultural History consists of three buildings: the Oldenburg Castle, the Augusteum and the Prinzenpalais. In the Oldenburg Castle, the former residence of Count Anton Günther (1583–1667) and the Grand Dukes of Oldenburg until 1918/19, there is now a museum for art and cultural history.
The permanent exhibition “Cultural history of a historical landscape” is presented on three floors, showing the diversity and cultural-historical peculiarities of the Oldenburg region over the centuries, starting from the Middle Ages to the 20th century. The Augusteum, built in 1856 in the style of the Italian Renaissance and elaborately designed in the spirit of historicism, was the first art museum in Oldenburg. Today the building, which was specially built for this purpose, again houses parts of the former Grand Ducal painting collection, preferably Italian and Dutch paintings from the 16th to the 18th centuries and European paintings from the Middle Ages to the modern era. On the ground floor there are alternating outstanding exhibitions on the history of painting and contemporary art. After its renovation and the restoration of its original sequence of rooms, the former Prinzenpalais am Damm serves as an exhibition center for art from the 19th and 20th centuries. The development of the fine arts in Germany is illustrated on two floors, starting with Romanticism and the art of Classicism.
Landesmuseum Natur und Mensch: The beginnings of the museum go
back to the year 1835, when Grand Duke Paul Friedrich August bought
a collection of insects and birds. Ethnological objects and
archaeological finds were added later. In keeping with the spirit of
the times, the Natural History Museum, later the State Museum for
Natural History and Prehistory and, since January 1st 2001, the
State Museum for Nature and Man, was created from the collection of
“natural objects and antiquities”. As has been the case since the
museum was first established, the redesign focuses on the natural
and cultural history of north-west Germany. Unlike in the past,
natural history is understood as a cultural history of nature that
is seen and shaped by people. Under the motto “nature and man”, the
history and stories of the large landscapes - moor, geest as well as
coast and marshland - are told from their beginnings to modern
nature conservation. The new exhibitions “Neither lake nor land -
MOOR a lost landscape” and “Liberated from the ice - GEEST - rich
history on barren land” are the first parts of this redesign.
Oldenburger Kunstverein: In the "Small Augusteum" the works of nationally important artists of the contemporary art scene are shown in up to six changing exhibitions a year. In addition, the art association organizes readings by authors and lectures on questions of culture and literature in its rooms.
City museum: The two villas of the museum founder Theodor Francksen (1875-1914) preserve civil living culture from the 17th century to the eve of the First World War in over 25 room ensembles and a small but considerable collection of antiquities of over 100 vases and terracottas from the 7th century BC to the 3rd century AD. The Ballin'sche Villa presents the life and work of the Oldenburg artist Professor Bernhard Winter (1871-1964) as well as the city's history from the Middle Ages to the 19th century. The 20th century is shown on the ground floor of the Neue Galerie. Its upper floor and the “Claus Hüppe Foundation Hall” offer space for numerous temporary exhibitions and special events in the field of art, cultural, social and technological developments in the city and region of Oldenburg. In the museum garden, not only historical objects from the history of the city, which were threatened by destruction and loss, are presented, but also larger sculptures and sculptures that directly address the topic of art and nature.
Streets and squares
Rathausplatz: On one side the square is lined by the town hall and the Lambertikirche, on the other side by various cafes and bars that invite you to take a coffee break after a shopping spree. Here you can relax or meet people in a historic atmosphere. The weekly market (Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday) and farmers' market (Friday) also have a regular place here. During the Advent season, Rathausplatz is also home to the popular "Lambertimarkt" with numerous mulled wine stalls, stalls with delicacies, handicrafts, jewelry, etc.
Schlossplatz: A spacious square directly between the Oldenburg Castle and the Castle Guard. Due to construction sites and renovation work, Schlossplatz will be available again as a central event location from 2012.
Horse market: Originally used as such, today primarily a large car park and location of the weekly market (Tues., Thurs., Sat.). In addition, major events take place here, such as public viewing for the soccer World Cup or "Horse Day".
Waffenplatz: One of the central squares in the city center. Every year there is the "Tanz in den Mai", the wine festival and other events. As part of the "Dream Gardens" campaign, the area is creatively planted and designed. Easy parking in the neighboring multi-storey car park.
Friedensplatz: corner of Ofener Str./Peterstr. In the middle of the square is the "Peace Column", which was built in 1878 to commemorate those who fell in the war of 1870/1871. This column originally carried a bronze figure that was used for metal extraction during World War II.
Julius-Mosen-Platz: Once designed as a semicircle, the square got its current appearance in the early 1990s. There is the bronze bust of Julius Mosen, the poet and theater dramaturge in Oldenburg, 1844-1848.
Cäcilienplatz: Park-like square behind the State Theater, surrounded by beautiful old town villas. This is a small park where people like to meet, especially to play boules. There are also two bronze busts showing Helene Lange (champion of the women's movement) and Karl Jaspers (philosopher).
Traffic jam / harbor: Today the front part is used as a marina.
Location of the harbor festival and the city beach. The port lies at
the intersection of the Hunte sea waterway and the inland waterway
coastal canal. With an average annual turnover of 1.4 million tons,
the Oldenburg port is one of the most heavily handled inland ports
in Lower Saxony.
Bergstrasse and Nikolai-Viertel: The old city quarter "Nikolai-Viertel" forms an idyllic counterpoint to the newly designed pedestrian zone. Many artisans have settled on the cobblestone streets, arguably the oldest in the city.
Dobbenviertel: This quarter was built in the former floodplain of a river. The term "Dobben" refers to swampy areas with many ponds and watercourses. Nowadays there is a popular residential area with stately buildings. The so-called "dog huts" are an architectural style that was preferred in Oldenburg in the 19th century and is often found in the Dobbenviertel.
Johannisviertel and Ziegelhofviertel: The narrow streets, small squares and the old houses and villas with rustic shops create an original atmosphere.
Parks and gardens
The proportion of forest, gardens and green spaces is over 50% of the total area. Since over 70% of the population lives in one or two-family houses with their own garden, there is also a significant proportion of private green spaces.
Castle garden: laid out in the style of an English landscape garden, age-old trees, magnificent rhododendrons (some of the oldest in Germany), watercourses and meadows characterize the image in the middle of the city center. The castle garden can also be explored from a different perspective by boat on the Mühlenhunte. The Elisabeth-Anna-Palais (today the seat of the social court) is located on the approx. 18 hectare park
Botanical Garden: Founded in 1882 as a "seminar garden" for teacher training, the Botanical Garden is now a scientific facility of the Institute for Biology and Environmental Sciences at the Carl von Ossietzky University in Oldenburg. It covers 3.7 hectares and contains around 7000 different plant species in different planting areas (medicinal plant and farm garden, Alpinium) as well as exotic woody plants.
Hörgarten: Right next to the "House of Hearing" of Oldenburg Hearing Research, you can find out more about hearing and acoustics in a playful way. Fascinating exhibits such as the whispering gallery, the acoustic cannon or the wind harp serve this purpose. The initiative "Germany - Land of Ideas" has named the Hörgarten a 'selected place'.
Wall systems: The former city fortifications ran around the city center and these wall systems with their curved watercourses are still a reminder of the old days when the city center had to be defended. After 1800 the fortifications were removed and the ramparts turned into a park landscape. Today they shape the cityscape with their lush greenery.
Eversten Holz: Eversten Holz is located in the immediate vicinity of the Dobbenviertel, which is well worth seeing with its historic villas. In 1832, Grand Duke Paul Friedrich August commissioned the respected landscape gardener Julius Bosse to transform Eversten Holz into a landscape park. Today there are shady paths between beeches and oaks for walking, jogging and walking. There is also a large playground.
Großer and Kleiner Bürgerbusch: Entrances: Scheideweg, Bahnweg and Feldstraße. The Bürgerbusch was once the forest area of the Oldenburg citizens from which they fetched their firewood. Today it is divided into the small and the large Bürgerbusch. While the Große Bürgerbusch has extensive green areas, a playground and a fitness trail, the Kleine Bürgerbusch, located directly on Alexanderstraße, is more inviting for a short walk.
Stadtwald and Blankenburger Holz: out of town via Holler Landstrasse, at the level of Blankenburg Abbey on the left. At the end of 1995, the Oldenburg City Forest was founded as part of a large public planting campaign. Approx. 150,000 trees were planted on an area of 30 hectares. This semi-natural mixed deciduous forest is composed primarily of native deciduous tree species such as oak, birch, aspen, alder, beech, winter linden and mountain ash. Around 10 ha of the area was reserved for the development of various biotopes. Part of the urban forest is also dedicated to a forest adventure trail. The tour through the city forest and the Blankenburger forest provides information about the forest habitat at 17 stations.
Cycling: Oldenburg is a cycling city. The cycle paths are well developed throughout the city and the surrounding area (Ammerland, Wildeshauser Geest Nature Park, Wesermarsch). There is a bicycle station at the main train station where bicycles can be safely parked and where there are also bicycles to borrow.
Sport: Whether passively - for example at the games of the EWE Baskets (basketball Bundesliga) - or actively: The Oldenburgers are extremely enthusiastic about sports. There are more than 100 clubs in Oldenburg that offer sports from aerobics to yoga. Recreational sports can be found in the swimming pools, at the running clubs or in the commercially operated fitness studios. Water hiking is also very popular. A varied and diverse landscape can be explored on the river Hunte. And since 2010 it has also been possible to take part in a city tour by canoe.
Kale tours: Kale is Oldenburg's national dish. His palms can only be harvested after the first frost. The cold takes the bitter substances out of the leaves, increases the sugar content of the cabbage and makes it easier to digest. The vegetables are cooked fat and hearty and are preferably served with pee, boiled sausage and smoked pork.
Oldenburg merchants drove their horse-drawn carriages to East Friesland as early as the 19th century to enjoy winter vegetables in the village inns there. The cabbage rides, which are popular throughout the northwest, have their origins in this tradition. The Kohlfreunde roam the country in groups to finally stop off at a (country) inn to eat and drink together. On this occasion the "Kohlkönig" is determined every year. Since the summer of 2010, Oldenburg has been referring to itself with a wink as the “Kohltourhauptstadt” [www.kohltourhauptstadt.de].
Regular cultural events
Oldenburger Promenade (Chamber Music Festival in June): International music festival with a strolling character. Music from classical to jazz, world music, early music, church and choral music.
Cultural summer (July to August): The cultural summer offers a wide variety of events: jazz, pop, rock, classical, open-air cinema, exhibitions, readings and theater.
International Ceramic Days Oldenburg (August 1st weekend): This weekend, Oldenburg is all about ceramic art. Part of the Ceramic Days is the traditional ceramic market with exhibitors of different nationalities.
Internationales Filmfest Oldenburg (September): A specialty for all film buffs who love and appreciate independent filmmaking and the productions of young German and international filmmakers.
KIBUM (largest non-commercial children's and youth book fair): Every year in November, the KIBUM presents new publications in the field of children's and youth media. A varied supporting program with readings by authors and theater performances. Storytelling and fairy tale hours, hands-on events and lectures enrich the fair.
Lamberti market (Christmas market): Set up between the historical sites of the Old Town Hall, the Oldenburg Castle and the venerable St. Lamberti Church, this market is a magnet for many visitors from the region and from the neighboring Netherlands for four weeks before Christmas.
Kramermarkt Oldenburg (end of September / beginning of October): Every year up to 1.5 million visitors are drawn to the folk festival in Oldenburg, which is heralded with a large parade. The Kramermarkt starts on a Friday and lasts 10 days www.kramermarkt-oldenburg.de.
Oldenburg is a traffic junction in the northwest. Motorways and
rail network intersect here and thus have an important function for
travelers and goods. These also play an important role in transport
on the waterways. In addition, with Bremen Airport, a European
commercial airport is in the immediate vicinity.
The largest civil airport in the northwest region is located in Bremen. From here there are regular connections to numerous German and European airports. Southern European holiday destinations are dominant in charter flights.
Although Münster / Osnabrück Airport is more than twice as far away from Oldenburg as compared to Bremen, this international airport is also enjoying increasing popularity with passengers from the Oldenburg area.
The nearest regional airports are in Hatten, Ganderkesee, Westerstede-Felde and Wilhelmshaven-Mariensiel.
The Oldenburg main station is the only station in Lower Saxony with a platform hall.
Oldenburg is integrated into the long-distance network of Deutsche Bahn via Bremen / Hanover, which is mainly served by Intercity (IC). Bremen and Hanover can also be reached from Oldenburg by regional train (RB) and regional express (RE). These types of train, especially the regional train, also stop at smaller stations along the route.
The Wilhelmshaven-Oldenburg-Osnabrück route, and also to Bremen, is served by the NordWestBahn (NWB) trains. Since December 2010 Oldenburg has been connected to the regional S-Bahn Bremen / Lower Saxony. The next car train station is at the Hildesheim freight station. It is only a few minutes from the main train station to the city center. The ZOB (Central Bus Station) with all bus lines is also on the north side. There is also a bike rental service at the main train station.
Oldenburg Central Station is served by long-distance trains (Intercitys) from the direction of Leer or Leipzig via Braunschweig, Hanover and Bremen as well as regional traffic from Wilhelmshaven, Norddeich and Quakenbrück. The next more important train stop is Bremen.
Train routes traveled every hour from Oldenburg:
Hanover - Bremen - Oldenburg - Leer - Emden - Norddeich Mole (DB)
Wilhelmshaven - Oldenburg - Osnabrück (NordWestBahn)
Wilhelmshaven - Oldenburg - Bremen (NordWestBahn)
Oldenburg is directly connected to the A28 and A29 motorways. All roads lead from the city motorway ring into the city. There are parking spaces for coaches at Cäcilienplatz (behind the State Theater), on the Bundesbahnweg and at the Weser-Ems-Halle. In and around Oldenburg, Verkehr und Wasser GmbH (VWG) operates bus services. More than 45,000 people drive the VWG every day. With the exception of line 304, all buses run via the central bus station (ZOB) on the north side of the Oldenburg main station. VWG is a partner in the Bremen / Lower Saxony transport association (VBN), an association of numerous transport companies. The Weser-Ems buses take care of the area supply in the region.
Regular bus connections of the Weser-Ems buses to surrounding communities such as Wardenburg, Bad Zwischenahn, Edewecht or Friesoythe also allow "non-Oldenburgers" from the region to travel to the region at low cost.
The central hub for all bus traffic in and around Oldenburg is the central bus station (ZOB) directly behind the main train station and the "Lappan" stop in the city center.
Oldenburg lies at the intersection of a north-south and an east-west connection, which is supplemented by a 32-kilometer-long city motorway ring. The A 29, from Wilhelmshaven via Oldenburg, joins the Hansalinie A 1 at the Ahlhorner Heide motorway triangle. It provides the shortest road connection to the Rhine-Ruhr area via Osnabrück and Münster.
The A 28 connects Oldenburg with Bremen and provides a direct connection to the important routes Hamburg-Scandinavia and Hanover-Kassel-Frankfurt. In the west, the A 28 leads in the direction of Emden, Leer and the Netherlands. The A 28 (direction Leer) leads to the A 31 (Emsland motorway) at Dreieck Bunde. It is an alternative to the often congested A 1. The A 31 joins the A 2 in the north of the Ruhr area near Essen and Oberhausen.
Direct motorway connections to the
A 28 Bremen - Emden - Leer
A 29 Wilhelmshaven - Ahlhorner Dreieck (A 1)
A 293 city motorway between the triangles orientated west and orientated north
Liner connections to Oldenburg do not exist. In the old city harbor there is a possibility of berth for sport boaters. Water sports enthusiasts come via the Weser and the Hunte or the coastal canal and dock at the Stau city harbor.
Oldenburg's inland port has a leading position in cargo handling among the port cities of the same type in Lower Saxony. The Deutsche Bahn container handling facility is of great importance here. It is also significant that the port can also be reached by seagoing vessels via the Hunte, up to a maximum load capacity of 1500 tons. The Hunte and the coastal canal are extremely interesting for the Oldenburg economy as well as for sport boaters and leisure captains.
Oldenburg has one of the most heavily handled inland ports in Lower Saxony. About 2 km in length as a parallel port on the lower Hunte. The Seewasserstraße Hunte is navigable for inland and seagoing vessels.
The Hunte flows into the Weser at Elsfleth, the Hunte spring is located on the northern edge of the Wiehengebirge. The course of the river is interrupted by the Dümmersee.
The coastal channel connects the Hunte from Oldenburg with the Ems near Lathen. The coastal canal lock in Oldenburg is navigable for inland vessels.
De Hunte-Radweg and Meer-Radweg lead through Oldenburg.
Around the city
The city of Oldenburg is part of the Bremen / Lower Saxony
transport association, whose tariff is used. In addition, the Lower
Saxony Ticket and the Nice Weekend Ticket are valid throughout the
network, the BahnCard 100 is only valid in the cities of Bremen,
Bremerhaven, Oldenburg and Delmenhorst.
Within the urban area, price level I applies with the special rule that single tickets are valid for 90 minutes from validation for any number of journeys including return journeys. Day tickets are valid from validation until 3:00 a.m. on the following day. All prices as of February 2016: Single adult ticket: 2.35 Adult 4-person ticket: 8.00 euros (2 euros per trip) Adult day ticket (plus a maximum of 3 children up to 14 years of age): 1 adult € 6.70, 2 adults 9, € 30, 3 adults € 11.90, 4 adults € 14.50, 5 adults € 17.10. Single ticket child: 1.20 €
In the city of Oldenburg there are no trams or subways and only two passenger stations: Oldenburg (Oldb) Hbf (please enter without spaces in the information website of Deutsche Bahn) and Oldenburg-Wechloy. In the main station there is a connection to individual InterCitys in long-distance traffic, in regional traffic to the regional S-Bahn line RS3 (Bad Zwischenahn - Bremen), to the regional express lines RE1 ((Norddeich-Mole - Norddeich) - Emden - Leer - Augustfehn - Oldenburg - Hude - Delmenhorst - Bremen - Verden - Eystrup - Hanover), RE18 (Wilhelmshaven - Rastede - Oldenburg - Ahlhorn - Osnabrück) and RE19 (Wilhelmshaven - Rastede - Oldenburg - Hude - Delmenhorst - Bremen). Oldenburg-Wechloy only has a connection to the regional S-Bahn RS3.
Apart from the regional S-Bahn line RS3 with two stops in the city area, all public transport is served by buses. These have three-digit line numbers that start with 3.