10 largest cities in Germany
Frankfurt am Main
City of Stolberg (Harz) is a district of the municipality of
Südharz in the district of Mansfeld-Südharz in Saxony-Anhalt. The
town in the Harz region, with around 1400 inhabitants, had town
charter until it was incorporated in 2010 and is known today as a
climatic health resort and historic European city. The hallmarks are
the many half-timbered houses in the Renaissance style.
Stolberg is located in the Lower Harz in the Harz / Saxony-Anhalt Nature Park. It lies between Breitenstein in the north and Rottleberode in the south at the origin of the Helme tributary Thyra and on the district road 2354 (Breitenstein – Rottleberode) at about 265 to 370 m above sea level. The border with Thuringia runs 4 km to the west.
The place emerged around the year 1000 as a miners' settlement,
although mining has been documented in the area since 794. Iron,
copper, silver, tin and gold have been mined here since ancient
times. The first documentary mention comes from the year 1210 in
connection with the count family resident here. Before 1300 Stolberg
was granted city rights. The city was the residence of the Counts of
Stolberg from the beginning.
Under the peasant leader Thomas Müntzer, who was born here, Stolberg was the site of several battles during the German Peasants' War. On May 2, 1525, rebellious farmers invaded the city and forced the ruling Count Botho zu Stolberg to accept their demands (24 Stolberg articles), which, however, quickly reversed them after the farmers' defeat.
Coins have been minted in Stolberg since the High Middle Ages, and the handicraft had its heyday in the 16th century. The mining, however, was stopped from the 17th century. In 1815 the previously Saxon city came to the Duchy of Saxony, which was converted into the Province of Saxony of the Kingdom of Prussia in 1816.
The Counts of Stolberg-Stolberg set up a consistory in the middle of the 16th century to head the Lutheran church in the county, which was established in 1658, the establishment of its own church administration in the county of Stolberg-Wernigerode, which was separated in 1645, as the Count's, from 1893 Princely Consistory of Stolberg -Stolberg operated. Since 1821 the Lutheran parishes in the area of the former county belonged to the ecclesiastical province of Saxony of the new, administratively uniate Evangelical Church in Prussia. Today they belong to the Evangelical Church in Central Germany, which was founded in 2009.
The consistory, however, continued to exist with regional responsibility for the Lutheran parishes in the former county. Until the separation of state and church in 1919, it was directly subordinate to the registrar Count / Prince von Stolberg-Stolberg and indirectly to the President of the Province of Saxony. At the end of 1944, the Evangelical Upper Church Council (head of the regional church) moved its seat from the endangered Berlin to the Stolberg consistorial building.
On November 5, 1947, the Stolberg-Stolberg consistory was combined with the “old” Princely Consistory of Stolberg-Roßla, seat of Roßla, to form a consistorial district, with the now “new” Evangelical Lutheran Consistory of Stolberg-Roßla having its seat in Stolberg. "The church leadership of the Evangelical Church of the ecclesiastical province of Saxony [...] decided on the dissolution of the Evangelical-Lutheran Consistory of Stolberg-Roßla with a resolution of October 28, 2005 in agreement with the synod of the Eisleben church district."
In 1833 Stolberg already had 2,392 inhabitants. At the beginning of the 20th century, Stolberg became a tourist destination and in 1923 a railway to Berga-Kelbra was opened. The city has been a health resort since 1946.
In the Second World War, Stolberg lost 76 dead and ten missing. In the British bombing raid on Nordhausen on April 3, 1945, seven residents of Stolberg were also killed. 8 to 10 bombs fell on Stolberg, completely destroyed two properties, damaged 15 houses of varying severity and tore up streets.
At the beginning of 1946 14 young people between the ages of 15 and 18 (two were 19 and 20 years old, respectively) were arrested by an operational group of the Soviet security service NKVD and by a military tribunal to death (three young people, in two Cases enforced) or sentenced to long prison terms of up to 25 years. The majority of the young people did not survive the prison conditions in the Soviet special camps. In 1995 the group was rehabilitated by the Prosecutor General of the Russian Federation.
During the GDR era, there was a pioneer holiday camp "Soja Kosmodemjanskaja" in Stolberg.
On September 1, 2010, Stolberg was incorporated into the southern Harz community.
On July 1, 2014, the new municipal constitutional law of the state of Saxony-Anhalt came into force. In its § 14 (2) the municipalities are given the opportunity to assign this designation to the districts that were towns before the incorporation. The municipality of Südharz has made use of this regulation for the district of Stolberg (Harz). Their new main statutes came into force on January 1, 2017. In §§ 1 and 15 (1) the districts and localities are listed with their official names.