10 largest cities in Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Zwickau (also Zwigge in the Saxon dialect) is the fourth largest
city in Saxony with around 90,000 inhabitants and a regional center
in the southwestern part of the country.
An area called Territorium Zcwickaw was first mentioned in 1118. Hard coal was mined here and in the surrounding region for almost 800 years. As a result, the city developed into the center of the Zwickau coal field. As an electoral city until 1806, Zwickau was the district headquarters in the Kingdom of Saxony from 1834/1835, from 1874 the headquarters of the district administration (after 1939 the district of Zwickau) and in 1907 it became an independent city. In the course of the total restructuring of the administrative structures to enforce the principle of so-called democratic centralism in the GDR, Zwickau lost its position as the district government seat that had been in place since 1834 and became part of the Karl-Marx-Stadt district. Zwickau has not been a district since 2008; the city was incorporated into the newly formed district of Zwickau.
The city is a founding member of the metropolitan region of Central Germany and part of the Chemnitz-Zwickau agglomeration. This is also where the administration of the above-mentioned district has its headquarters. The urbanization of the urban fringes, which has been increasing since 2000, has increased the area of the city, which now largely covers the valley of the Zwickauer Mulde. The tourist route of the Saxon-Bohemian Silver Road, which is popular with motorists, is scenic and equipped with many cultural and historical sights, connects the old mountain town of Zwickau with the state capital Dresden, following the course of the Ore Mountains in an easterly direction.
Zwickau is the cradle of the Saxon automotive industry. The more than one hundred year old tradition in automobile manufacturing began at the beginning of the 20th century with the establishment of the Horch (1904) and Audi (1909/1910) plants, which were operated by Auto Union in the 1930s and 1940s and during the GDR era was continued by the Sachsenring works. After the end of the division of Germany, Volkswagen AG founded one of the largest companies in the new federal states, Volkswagen Sachsen GmbH, in what is now the Moselle district of Zwickau, which continues this automotive tradition.
The Romantic composer Robert Schumann was born here in 1810. The city is therefore internationally known as the automobile and Robert Schumann city. In addition, on April 21, 2016 it was recognized as the “Reformation City of Europe”.
The August Horch Museum, the West Saxon University of Applied Sciences in Zwickau, the Robert Schumann Conservatory and the Plauen-Zwickau Theater are nationally important cultural and educational institutions.