Boldogkő Castle

Boldogkőváralja Castle



Location: Boldogkőváralja, Borsod-Abaúj-Zemplén County Map

Found: 1282

Tel. +3646387703

Official site


Description of Boldogkő Castle

Boldogkő Castle is a medieval castle on a cliff rising on the eastern side of the valley of the Hernád River, in the immediate vicinity of Boldogkőváralja. The Miocene andesite tuff Bodókő Hill, on which the castle stands, is part of the Zemplén Landscape Protection Area. Due to the beauty of the landscape and the relatively good condition of the castle, it is a popular hiking destination, which is one of the stops of the National Blue Tour.

The earliest part of the castle (an old tower surrounded by a fortification) was probably built after the Tartar invasion and was erected either by Ispán Tyba, son of Jaak of the tribe of Tomaj, or by Judge Aba Amadé. When Károly Róbert Anjou chased the Aba, the castle came to the Drugeth family, which was loyal to him, and later to Péter Czudar. In the 15th century, it became the property of Serbian princes István and György, and then of the Szapolyai family. In Turkish times, he often changed hands as one of the venues for the intense battles between the emperor and the king. It was acquired by the conquering György Rákóczi in 1666, later it became important several times in the Kuruc times, but even before the Rákóczi War of Independence, in 1701, it was made uninhabitable by the emperors. The ruin was taken possession of by the Jesuits in the 18th century, who used it as a grain warehouse. Later it became the property of the Péchy and then the Zichy family, who, however, no longer lived in the uncomfortable fortress, instead using a baroque castle built in the area of ​​the serf village. Despite the bombing of imperial soldiers and the devastating centuries that followed, it is one of our best-preserved medieval castles.

The state-owned building complex, which has been in state ownership since 1945, began research in 1963 under the leadership of archaeologist Katalin Végh, which was conducted several times over the following decades. The salvage also took place in several stages, the towers were given a protective roof, and after 2009 several parts of the building were restored with the support of the European Union. The exhibition halls have been modernized, so today you can see, among other things, the castle's unique industrial monument, the 16th-century smelter, which was once used to produce bronze for counterfeiting.


Its location
According to the micro-region cadastre prepared by the Geographical Research Institute of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences, the castle hill and its surroundings are located in the Great Northern Central Mountains, including the Tokaj-Zemplén Mountains and the Central-Zemplén Small Landscapes. However, in terms of its vegetation, population density and typical land use, the Abaúji-Hegyalja micro-region also bears similar features to the surroundings of the settlements in the Hernád Valley.

The castle is located in the immediate vicinity of Boldogkőváralja, on a hill made of volcanic andesite tuff, which is geologically part of the volcanic Prešov-Tokaj Mountains. The fort is in the Hernád Valley, 13–14. century was suitable for control over routes, so its military and economic importance follows from its construction site.

According to the most accepted theory, the castle is first mentioned in a charter dated 1295 as “Castrum Boldua”, which describes that the son of Jaak of the genus Tomaj, Tyba ispán III. In return, King Andrew received the castle of Boldua, now called Boldogkő, earlier, IV. He received from King László for the castles of Rezy and Rez (now Várvölgy). A charter dated in Szeged around 1280 also mentions a similar exchange, which in turn does not name Boldua, but includes Tyba and the names of the exchange estates, so it is assumed that it could be the same exchange transaction as above.

It should be mentioned, however, that the identification of the above Castrum Boldua with the Castle of Blessed Stone is not clear, and there is no other information on the possession of the Tomajs in Abaúj other than the above diploma.

Based on these, the oldest parts of the castle probably stood as early as 1280, a member of the Tomaj clan, according to some assumptions, built it in Tyba itself during the post-Tartar stone castle construction. However, it cannot be ruled out that he was a member of the Aba clan, among them Aba Amadé, who had great influence in the Abaujian territories in the late 13th and early 14th centuries.

The era of the Aba clan
Although we do not know clearly whether the builder was of the Tomaj or Aba clans, it is certain that from the beginning of the 1300s the lords of the castle were the Abaks, who had significantly increased provincial ownership during the interregnum after the extinction of the Árpád House. The owner of the castle, Judge Aba Amadé, was assassinated in 1311 during the riots in Kassa. After that, Károly Róbert also had to take action against the sons of Amadé (Ispán János from Abaúj, Ispán László from Hungary, and Miklós and Dávid). The Treaty of Košice was concluded with them on October 3, 1311, in which they nominally renounced several of their estates and surrendered to the King. However, the opposition soon escalated again, but the resistance of the Amadé sons in the Battle of Rozgony was broken. They surrendered again, returning the illegally occupied royal castles, although Boldogkő and Nevicke, as well as the Hungarians, were still in their hands. In the battle of Debrecen they fought on the side of the king (among the sons, the conversion of János Aba was certain), by 1317 they were pushed back to the territory of Ung county. In the autumn of the same year, they revolted again and occupied Tiba Castle, but the king soon inflicted a decisive defeat on them again. The sons of Amad were forced to leave the land and their possessions confiscated.

In the hands of the Drugeths
After the confiscation, Boldogkő Castle became the property of a Drugeth family of French-Italian origin loyal to King Anjou. The owner was Drugeth Philip, a man from Novi Sad who proved to be a loyal subject in the king's battle for the throne, and was succeeded by Vilmos Drugeth around 1339. It is probable that until 1351 the castle was owned by the family. Presumably, they built several buildings of the upper castle: the palace wing connected to the old tower and the columnar tower protecting it. The Drugeths usually entrusted the castle to the care of German and Italian deputies. In 1331, for example, Lukács Német was the castle mate, followed by János Olasz around 1335, who was mentioned in several diplomas until 1342 and probably held the office of castle mistress until 1350. In 1351 Péter Poháros, a former castle lord of Salánc, in 1352 Kelemen headed the castle.

Changes of ownership in accordance with Articles 14-15. century
It is not known who was the owner of the castle after the Drugeths from 1351, but it was already mentioned in 1383 as part of the royal estate. Afterwards, it was still a royal castle in 1388, but in the same year it became the property of a former ban and judge of Peter Cudar, when King Sigismund, together with the villages belonging to it, pledged it for 8838 gold forints. According to the terms of the pledge, after the death of Peter the descendants of the castle were also pledged.


The castle later fell into the hands of rebels, from whom it was recaptured by Péter Perényi in 1403 and made available to the king. After 1422, István Lazarevics and then, from 1427 to 1453, György Brankovics owned a Serbian despot together with the castles of Tállya, Tokaj, Regéc and Munkács, all of whom were László, the son of Mihály Geszti. From 1443 Sándor Helembai, from 1453 László and Bálint Sarkus, then Bálint Barakori and Dénes, István Alpári and Tamás Salánki headed the castle.

After 1456, Boldogkő Castle reappeared among the royal castles. Shortly afterwards, in 1461, King Matthias donated his paraphernalia to his brothers, Pál and László, to whom, in addition to the village under the castle, Rád, Baskó, Szerencs, Újfalu and Arka belonged. The castle was then pledged to Kassa between 1467 and 1471. It is probable that he was already part of the Košice estate before, because in a letter dated 1464, Mátyás gave Kassa various discounts, in return for which he became the property of Imre Szapolyai. In this document, the castle is mentioned for the first time under the name of today's Boldogkő.

In 1471 it was again mentioned as a royal castle, the accessories of which at that time were the villages of Vizsoly, Szerencs, Novaj, Abatelke, Újfalu, Arka, Rád and Baskó. Later it came into the possession of the Szapolyai family, but before 1526 János Szapolyai donated it to István Tomori's son, György, as a baptismal gift. During the time of István Tomori, Bíró Bíró Mátyás, a Catholic who was still a Catholic at the time, served as a chaplain in the castle.

In the 15th century, great expansions were made to the castle. On the south side, an irregular rectangular tower was erected, to which a plank wall was attached. A horseshoe-shaped gate tower with a connecting protective wall and an outer wall surrounding the palace on the east side were built.

At the time of the Mohács disaster
After the defeat of Mohács, the castle often changed hands between Ferdinand I and János Szapolyai, who fought in the Highlands. The many changes of ownership were compounded by the fact that the current owners often continued to donate the castle to their faithful during this period. In 1527, for example, the palatine István Báthori, fighting on the side of Ferdinand, acquired it together with several other estates by donation, but Szapolyai recovered it from him together with the castle of Regéc already in 1528, at the cost of a siege. In August of this year, Ferdinand marched under the castle again with an army. His followers, Gáspár Serédi and Chief Captain Ferenc Bebek, forced the castle lord to surrender and non-attack under a six-week, presumably successful siege. However, by 1530, Tamás Nádasdy, the agent of Szapolyai, again managed the affairs of the castle, who also repulsed the attempt to recapture Ferenc Bebek and Rupert Herberstein. After that, the castle was owned by Tomory Egyed, from whom it was bought by Cardinal György Fráter Martinuzzi. However, it was not long in his possession, for in 1537 it was again occupied by Ferdinand's armies under the leadership of Lénár Fels.

After the country was divided into three parts
In 1542, Ferdinand exchanged him for the castle of Gyula with Ferenc Patóchy, whose daughter, Zsófia, married Ferenc Bebek's son, Baron György Bebek. György inherited huge estates as the last male heir of the family, through this marriage, in 1556, Boldogkő became the property of the Bebek family, among several estates. György, similarly to the one in the castle of Csorbakő, set up a counterfeit-minting workshop here, the smelting furnace of which was found during the excavations. This find is the earliest, authentic, excavated memory of Hungarian bronze production. In 1559 András Berényi Espán was the castle chief. In 1560, Bebek exchanged the castle with István Mihály Sárközy for the captured Turkish leader, Pasha Amha.

Among the people living in the castle, Bálint Balassi is worth mentioning from this age, who wrote his poem for Borivók here. Balassi was in this landscape in the 1580s, as evidenced by a letter from Szikszó in 1584 and Abaújszántó in 1585.

István Sárközy's son later sold the castle to the Serényi family. II. In 1578, Rudolf confirmed the property rights of Gábor Serényi and Mihály and their wives with the right to inherit descendants of both sexes. The castle eventually passed entirely to Mihály Serényi's brother, Ferenc and his descendants. After the death of Mihály Sárközi, his wife, Zsófia Bajony, took action against this method of inheritance, who tried to invalidate the will. During the protracted litigation, the castle was entrusted to the care of Miklós Perlaky. However, the acquisition of the estate probably did not succeed, and the castle was bought in 1612 by Ferenc Serényi, the lord of Nedec Castle, György Horváth Palochay. After his death in 1617, he was inherited by his son, Gábor, and then by his grandson, István. From 1627, probably by pledge, Mátyás Szikszay became the owner, then from 1630 János Várkonyi became the owner, then the castle was returned to the Palochay family.


During his campaign against Habsburg in 1666, the Transylvanian prince György I. Rákóczi conquered Upper Hungary, during which he did not occupy the castle of Boldogkő, but fighting was also probable in this area. In 1646, György commissioned Pál Szemere to inquire with the chamber about the estate belonging to the Castle of Boldogkő, although his intentions in this regard are unknown.

The border line was somewhat far from the castle, so it had no direct military role in the fighting against the Turks, only records of a battle with a few Turkish troops raiding the Highlands. However, when on September 13, 1663, the counties of Upper Hungary held a meeting in Kassa and decided to issue an anti-Turkish army, the castle played an important role: under the leadership of Gábor Bakos, the army gathered in Boldogkő Castle. One of the most outstanding family friends of Archbishop György Szelepcsényi of Esztergom was János Terjék of St. János Terjék served as the officer of the castle of Boldogkő for almost a decade (in 1675 János Hankony was already the foreman of the castle).

In 1671, Gábor and István Palochay officially pledged the castle with all its accessories to Archbishop György Szelepcsényi of Kalocsa and Esztergom, the royal chancellor, who owned it until his death in 1685. The first detailed inventory of the castle was made in his time, which is kept in the Catholic parish of Boldogkőváralja.

In kuruc times
The castle was besieged several times during Kuruc times, but could not be occupied. The castle defenders also repulsed the siege of the Kuruc insurgents in 1674 and 1675, in which Castle Ferenc Becskereky may have played an important role. To prevent the spread of resistance movements, the emperor ordered several castles to be rendered unusable, including Füzér, Szerencs, Kisvárda and Boldogkő. In some cases this meant blasting, in others it ignited wooden structures, and destroyed defenses. In the case of Boldogkő Castle, this destruction was probably not fatal, as it was used later.

In 1678, Thököly, at the head of the Hiding Kurucs, occupied Northern Hungary and took over this castle, which was then headed by Ferenc Fajgil. On his instructions, a very detailed castle inventory was made again in 1682, which also included a description of the villages registered as its accessories (Boldogkőváralja, Arka, Alsóméra, Vilmány). [13] At the Parliament of Košice in 1683, Thököly announced that he would rebuild the castles in his possession on his own. However, this was prevented by the ceasefire in Vienna, which declared that the estates of the Archbishop of Esztergom were undisturbed. Later, according to the will of György Szelepcsényi, the owner of the castle became the chapter of Esztergom from 1685.

In the autumn of 1685, Pasha Ahmed of Oradea captured Thököly with the intention of delivering peace to the Turks, who had suffered one defeat after another, at the hands of the Viennese court. To this news, the guards of the still-occupied castles took turns to surrender to the advancing imperial army, so that the castle of Boldogkő also fell into the hands of the Habsburg mercenaries without striking a sword.

Demolition and afterlife of the castle
In 1701, the sent imperial detachment blew up some of the castle's fortifications, as well as the old tower, the residential tower and the palace. The ruined fortress did not play a military role in the Kuruc War of Independence, however, since in 1715 a grain warehouse was set up in the buildings owned by the Jesuits of Levoča, its walls were not demolished. It was bought from them in 1753 by the royal councilor Gábor Péchy of Pécsújfalu, who lived not in the uncomfortable and dilapidated fortress, but first in the mansion under the castle and then in the baroque castle built in 1768 in the valley serf village.

At the end of the 19th century, the landowner Péchy family carried out restoration work on the ruined fortress, supplementing some of the demolished castle walls and replacing the windows and doors of the palace with pointed arches. For this reason, in many places it is not possible to determine what the earlier, medieval design of the opening frames might have been. The family owned the castle until the end of the century, and after the death of Count Manó Péchy in 1889, he was inherited by his daughter, Rezsőné Zichy Péchy Jequelin. Thus the castle, together with the Péchy estates, fell into the hands of the Zichy family, whose possession lasted until the 20th century nationalization.

Monument protection and restoration

The castle was nationalized in 1945 along with 4,000 cadastral acres of land. In 1952, the Miskolc Design Institute of the Ministry of Construction carried out a detailed survey of the remaining ruins.

Research into its ruins began in the summer of 1963 on behalf of the National Monument Inspectorate, led by archaeologist Katalin Kemenczeiné Végh, who published a detailed monograph on the finds in 1966. [16] At that time, parts of the lower castle, including the gate tower, the shaft in front of the entrance, the courtyard (also known as the gorge), the truncated bastion and the south tower, were excavated.

In 2002, further excavation work began, during which the gate bastion and the south tower were given a protective roof, and an aisle was built on the wall of the lower courtyard, and a lookout point was erected on the southern rock outcrop on the site of the former observation bastion. In 2009, the reconstruction continued with the support of HUF 133 million from the European Union, during which additional protective roofs were established, the dry mill, the northern fortification and the gate of the lower castle were restored.

Lower Castle
Lower yard
The castle can be entered through a semicircular gate bastion, to the entrance of which a wooden bridge leads today, in its place there was once a drawbridge. There are portholes in the bastion, and the openings to the outside and to the courtyard are framed in neo-Gothic style. Archaeological excavations have revealed that the foundation of the bastion is approximately 150 cm deep and that there are pile holes at the courtyard entrance, which are probably traces of a wooden fortification from the time before the construction of the gate bastion, such as a plank wall.

Through the courtyard gate of the gate tower, it is possible to enter the wall gorge between the inner and outer castle walls, ie the lower courtyard. On the western outer, thick wall of a passer-by runs along it, on the wall there are portholes narrowing outwards. In the north-eastern corner there is a staircase leading to the cellar under the palace, and in the south-eastern part there is a steep, rock-cut staircase leading to the entrance of the upper courtyard about 8 meters higher. More than a hundred pile holes were found in the western half of the courtyard, which may be traces of a structure earlier than the western castle wall, probably a double plank wall filled with earth.

Truncated bastion
To the north of the lower courtyard stands the truncated bastion, the wall of which is a continuation of the western outer wall, and to the east it joins the triangular bastion of the palace. The edifice, along with the outer, partisan defensive walls and gate tower, may have been built in the 15th century. At the bottom of the truncated bastion wall, two cannon guards were excavated, above which stood portholes and windows that could be accessed from an aisle. The bastion was bounded on the south by a 60 cm thick, 140 cm high wall built above the cellar entrance. The interior of the building was divided into rooms with several walls.

The fragmentary filling of the bastion, which may be the result of an explosion in 1701, provided archaeologists with a wealth of finds: iron utensils and various stove tiles were found. One of the unglazed stove tiles found here showed a cavalry soldier who, based on his appearance, depicted clothing, and armament, could also be used to date some of the finds: the stove tile is likely to have originated in the second half of the 15th century.

During the archaeological excavation in the bastion, approx. A sedimentation basin carved with a horizontal bottom of 120 × 200 cm was found, with a small groove on the southeast side. This may have served to wash the copper ore in the castle foundry. Here, the remains of a smelter carved into tuff were discovered, in which copper ore and tin could be smelted. In the vicinity of these, bronze cakes and iron slags were found, which proves that bronze production and forging iron were once produced here. The technique of bronze casting found in this castle evokes 16th century practice. Archaeologists have found that the purpose of the bronze foundry in Lucky Stone may have been counterfeiting. This is also supported by the fact that Archbishop Ferenc Bebek and his brother Imre were well-known counterfeiters;

Under the truncated bastion, a four-branched cellar was formed, the entrance to which is in the lower courtyard, next to the gate opening.

South tower
The south tower is an irregular rectangular structure bounding the lower courtyard to the south. There are portholes on the walls of his floor, which were later walled up. Previously, the tower had an entrance from the lower courtyard, but this was removed; thereafter there was a crawl to the east only through its gate facing the upper court. A rock-carved pool and trenches were excavated in the tower, the layout of which and other finds (eg fragmented millstones) suggest that a dry mill operated here.

In front of the tower is a deep dungeon and an exit that leads to an observation bastion at the end of the rock tongue.


Upper Castle
The upper castle was built at the top of the north-south ridge, on average 10–11 m above the lower courtyard, to the east of it. The upper castle is a former part of the building complex, consisting of the upper courtyard, the triangular tower, the old tower and the palace.

Old tower
The oldest part of the castle is the 13th century old tower. At the earliest stage of the castle stood only this building, which was also used as a residential tower. Its north-western corner with a strong structure still stands today, but several of its walls have been severely destroyed. The internal dimension of the tower is approximately 5.5 × 5.5 meters, and the wall thickness can be up to 2.80 meters in some places. Traces of its southern wall are barely to be found, so the exact location of the entrance is not known. After its construction, it was later remodeled, during which one room was converted into a room with a stone wall in the southeast corner. Near the east wall, a pile hole was excavated, which probably indicates the location of the former, perhaps spiral-stairway. At the eastern wall of the old tower, the remains of a small 8 × 2.85 meter bastion were found, which is also the result of a later remodeling.

Attached to the southeast corner of the old tower was a room with brick pillars, which could be framed from the east by the eastern outer castle wall. Traces of plaster remained on the wall of the room, and its walking surface was a carved rock surface. South of this structure, a 5.60-meter-deep, brick-lined dungeon was carved into the rock surface of the ridge. Since there is no sign of an entrance, it is likely that access to the dungeon was possible only through its now-torn stone vault. An interesting find of the dungeon is two metal coins, one of which is a Rákóczi coin of 1703, and a 1552 coin of Ferdinand was found on the rock surface south of the dungeon.

To the north of the old tower stood a 26-meter-deep, closed cistern surrounded by walls on three sides, probably built in the time of the Drugeths. Due to its great depth, it can be assumed that it was originally dug as a well, but the tuff stone, which quickly absorbed water, proved unsuitable for this. Therefore, it was later used partly as a rainwater catchment and partly filled with applied water.

Residential tower and palace
At the northernmost point of the upper castle is the palace and the triangular column-shaped residential tower that protects it from the north. Both buildings originated in the early 14th century, in the early stages of the castle, but after the old tower, when an internal tower fortification was built instead of the former obsolete old tower arrangement during a major reconstruction. The Drugeth family, who knew the Italian castle-building culture and owned the castle at this time, may have played a major role in the reconstruction.

The triangular design of the residential tower is not common, but it is not without precedent. This type of building probably came to Hungary following the examples of Austria. The walls of the tower have survived to this day, but its vaulted vaults have already collapsed. Inside the building, at its northern end, are traces of a circular rock-based structure that may have been a spiral staircase leading to the floors of the tower. During a later remodeling, the inside of the tower was filled with stone and sandy earth.

The palace building south of it is the same age as the tower, which has also been partially preserved. There are four 20 × 120 cm portholes at the bottom of the outer wall of the palace, above them there are segmented arched windows made of flat stones on the first floor. Today's windows are neo-Gothic in style. The vault of the palace's interior, which dates back to the 16th century at the earliest, has now collapsed. In the eastern half, there was only a small backfill on the rock surface, but to the west, to compensate for the subsidence of the terrain, a thicker backfill was used during construction to create a horizontal walking surface. The ground floor of the building was divided in two by a wall, so it consisted of a smaller north and a larger south room. From the debris filling above the palace level of the palace, various objects, e.g. iron spoons, pottery fragments, half a millstone, and an elongated grindstone were found.

Next to the east wall of the building was an outer castle wall, which, although heavily destroyed, can still be found to the remains of the old tower. It is assumed that in the place of the east wall there was once a plank wall, and at the corner of the palace there was a gate.

Its natural environment

The castle is located in the Zemplén Mountains, on top of the north-south block of volcanic andesite tuff on Bodókő Hill. The Zemplén Mountains, like the other mountains in the Northern Central, are of volcanic origin, but younger: they formed in the late Miocene. The castle and its surroundings have been part of the Zemplén Landscape Protection Area since December 1984.

The vegetation of the castle hill and its surroundings bears the characteristics of the Abaúji-Hegyalja micro-region. The zonal vegetation of the area to the west of the higher regions of Zemplén may have originally been loess oak and cherry oak, which has no surviving stands, and has probably fallen victim to local viticulture with a long history. On the abandoned plots around the village, the resettlement of the species of the former forests and the newly settled steppe elements can be observed. Traces of the former forests are indicated, for example, by the specimens of dandelion (Prunus fruticosa), dwarf almond (P. tenella), Hungarian chamois (Doronicum hungaricum), grasshopper (Iris graminea) and cat clover (Phlomis tuberosa). Among the original steppe plant species, the species Ortih hair (Stipa) are characteristic, as well as the red snakehead (Echium maculatum), the cylindrical periwinkle (Inula germanica), the mountain anemone (Pulsatilla montana), and the Hungarian female petal (Iris aphylla subsp. Hungarica). .

Common habitat types in the area are hornbeam-sessile oaks, heather-sessile oaks, beeches, hawthorn-blackthorn-juniper dry shrubs, uncharacteristic dry-semi-dry grasslands, stony-sloping steppes, and French-sown meadows.

Typical floodplains in the landscape are the green maple (Acer negundo), the idol tree (Ailanthus altissima), the duckweed (Amorpha fruticosa), the silkworm (Asclepias syriaca), the alien asters (Aster spp.), The Japanese bittersweet ), acacia (Robinia pseudoacacia) and goldenrod (Solidago spp.).

The fairies of the castle
According to the legend about the origin of the castle, after the battle of Muhi, the fugitive from the Tartars IV. King Béla entered the village of Aszaló, where he found only an old drying master named Bodó. He promised the king to save him: he gave him a serf robe and hid it in a cellar. Two days later, the Tartars arrived, but in the midst of their interrogation, Bodó pretended to be deaf and misunderstood. When the Tartars ran up and left the old man, Béla thanked him for his help and moved on. When the Tartars finally withdrew and the king returned to the throne, Bodó set out for Buda with seven chariots and seven daughters. There, in exchange for earlier help, he received an inheritance from the king on the condition that he build a castle to protect it. In Buda, Bodó's daughters all found husbands, who built the castle for a year, which was built in seven years. ARC. After the wedding, Béla said, "Let this castle be called Blessed Stone, because the seven beautiful girls, the seven fairies, were the happiest here!"

In the basement of the castle you can see the statues of the retired high school principal István Borsos.
In the palace wing of the castle you can see the Historical Lead Soldier Exhibition, which presents, among other things, the battle of Muhi in 1241, as well as the mineral exhibition.
At the foot of the castle is a medieval restaurant called Castrum Boldua.
Jenő Vécsey, a composer born in Hernádcéce, wrote a symphonic poem entitled Boldogkő Castle in 1952, which was performed by the Miskolc Symphony Orchestra in 1983, on the 700th anniversary of the castle (the conductor was László Kovács).
Dezső Szabó wrote a short story entitled Szent Boldogkőváralján.