Budaörs (German: Wudersch, Croatian: Jerša, Erša, Vundeš) is a town in the Budapest agglomeration, Pest county, Budakeszi district, its most populous settlement.
Located in the Budapest agglomeration, Budapest XI. west of its district. The common section of the M1 and M7 motorways runs south of the settlement. Thus, it can rightly be the western gate of Budapest. The main road 1 passes through the city.
The city is located between the Buda Hills - Frank Hill group, the Csíki Mountains and the Tétény Plateau, in the so-called Budaörs Basin.
Budaörs (Örs) probably got its name from a
confusing tribe called Örs. It was first mentioned in a diploma in
1236 as Ewrs and in 1282 as Kechkevvrs. Örs was a famous
wine-growing village next to the road to Fehérvár. Its church, named
after St. Martin, was the chapel of the Church of St. Gellert in
In 1236 IV. King Bela gave both of his favors to the Cistercian abbey of Bélakút in Szerém County. At the time of the census in 1332, it was listed as a church under the archbishop, and at that time his priest paid 2.6 papal tithes.
On October 23, 1921, the IV. The train carrying King Charles of Hungary and his troops was arrested by the governor's troops on the outskirts of the settlement during the second legitimate coup. The forces opposed to the legitimates were mainly made up of university students from Budapest, who were hastily gathered on the evening of the 22nd, organized by Gyula Gömbös. For Gömbös, this was a desperate move, as it turned out that he could not count on the time-consuming army or the various paramilitary organizations, and even in MOVE he failed. The college students did not have any experienced officers, so they tried to organize their ranks themselves. The first clash took place at dawn on October 23, when Ostenburg-Moravek troops collided with an 80-man medical student outpost at Törökugrató, who started firing at the approaching train. Soldiers sent off the train occupied the heights, and several people died or were injured in the clash. But even so much bloodshed was enough to stop the royal troops, whose leader did not know that only a few hundred untrained university students were facing them. Thus they stopped advancing and awaited the instructions of King Charles. However, Charles himself did not want bloodshed, so he did nothing but wait and listen to Mass at Bicske. Legitimate forces eventually failed.
In 1935, Budaörs Airport, the first civil airport in the capital area, was opened on the border of Budaörs.
Between the two world wars, Budaörs became famous for growing peaches, an activity that provided a nice income for its inhabitants. Next to the Budaörs railway station, a cold store designed by architect Károly Möller was built in 1937 by József Lenz, commercial adviser, landowner in Nyékládháza, a fruit wholesaler, who was popular for his great generosity and successful activities. It is thanks to him that peaches are grown and traded in Budaörs, and they have been transported from the cold store to Austria and all over the world. On one of the walls of the cold store overlooking the city is a Madonna with a fruit wreath, one of József Lenz's favorite religious symbols, which has survived on the facades of his former houses in Budapest to this day. On November 26, 2013, the anonymous square next to the Budaörs railway station was officially named “Lenz József tér”; With this, József Lenz became the first Hungarian-Colombian-Venezuelan commercial councilor in whose honor a public space was named in Hungary.
After the expulsion of the Turks, the owners of the area in 1721 and 1739 called the Swabian farmers to settle the Zichy counts. The Zichy-Major in Budaörs was built in 1720 as the economic center of the Count Bercsényi-Zichy Castle, not far south of the Zichy Castle in the first half of the 18th century (part of today's Clementis Street). It housed professionals working for the manor, a cooper, a bognar and others, as well as a store for agricultural products produced on the manor. Its building block can be clearly seen on the maps created in the middle of the 18th century. Today, some have apartments, others have the headquarters of the Budaörs Artists' Association. Fine art camps for children are organized in the Zichy major, and regular exhibitions are held in the new Cellar Gallery.
The life of the Germans, who became native to Budaörs in almost 200 years, it has unfortunately changed radically as a result of World War II. On January 19, 1946, the train trains deporting the Germans from Hungary were the first to leave here, from Budaörs. (Therefore, January 19 is the day of remembrance of about 185,000 Germans deported from Hungary.) As a result of the deportations of 1946-1947 and the escape from the war of 1944, the population of Budaörs lost 85%.
In 1963, due to the construction of the motorway, the section of
the Törökbálint HÉV beyond Budaörs, built in 1914, was terminated.
The terminus of tram 41, which started on a shorter section, moved
further away from the densely populated part of Budaörs, on the
south side of the motorway. In 1977, the tram line was further
shortened: since then, Kamaraerdő is the outer terminus, the section
outside the capital has been demolished. The tunnel under railway
line 1 has survived, today it is a road and pedestrian underpass.
From 1964, after the handover of the common section of the M7 motorway and then from 1977-78, the city was divided into two parts.
In 1986, the settlement was declared a city. In 2009, Budaörs was the richest settlement in Hungary.
The first mayor of Budaörs after the change of regime was dr. István Csathó was elected, but he resigned shortly afterwards. The first man in the city since then (from February 1991 to the present day) is Tamás Wittinghoff, who graduated as a civil engineer.
In the 1994 municipal elections, Tamás Wittinghoff received the most votes (1,792; 31.24%) of the mayoral candidates, thus winning the position of mayor.
In the 1998 municipal elections, Tamás Wittinghoff was again elected mayor with 56.40% of the vote (4,426 votes). In the 17-member representative body, the SZDSZ-MSZP party alliance became a relative majority with 7 members, followed by the Fidesz-MDF with 4 members.
In the 2002 municipal elections, Tamás Wittinghoff repeated his victory; He was re-elected mayor with 6,078 votes (55.13%). The absolute majority of the members of the SZDSZ-MSZP (9 people) were now members of the representative body.
In the 2006 municipal elections, Tamás Wittinghoff won the title of mayor this time with 58.14% of the vote (6,868 people). Both the Fidesz-KDNP and the SZDSZ-MSZP were represented in the representative body of 23 people by 10-10 people.
In the 2010 municipal elections, Tamás Wittinghoff won 60.26% of the votes (7,283). Representatives of the Fidesz-KDNP were able to take the most seats in the Board of Representatives (14 people) (8 people), the candidates of the Association for the Development of Budaörs won 4 seats; in the remaining two places, one candidate from the MSZP and one from Jobbik could share.
In the 2014 municipal elections, Tamás Wittinghoff again won the office of mayor, gaining 69.31% of the vote (8029 votes). In the Board of Representatives, the BFE candidates were in the absolute majority (10 people), winning all individual constituencies.
In the 2019 municipal elections, Tamás Wittinghoff was able to start his 7th term as mayor with 71.65% of the vote. In the Board of Representatives (14 people), the BFE candidates repeated their 2014 results; With 10 people, winning 10 of the 10 individual constituencies, they gained an absolute majority on the board.