Fonyód is a town in Somogy county, the center of the Fonyód district. It is a popular resort and port city on the southern shore of Lake Balaton. It also includes Bélatelep and Fonyódliget. Its population (as of July 1, 2019) is 5201 people.
It is located on the southern shore of Lake Balaton, next to Nagy-Berek. The location of the city is recognizable from afar by the two highest mountains rising on the southern shore of the lake, rising next to each other, the 207-meter-high Sipos Hill and the 233-meter Castle Hill, which offer a beautiful panorama of the lake.
Administratively, Fonyódliget, Bélatelep and Alsóbélatelep are also part of Fonyód. The latter is located about two kilometers from the city center, at the western foot of Fonyódi Hill, on the shores of Lake Balaton.
In the area of the city, the main road 7 runs east-west and a few kilometers south of it, avoiding the populated areas of the M7 motorway; the main road here is the 6701 road from Kaposvár to here. Fonyód railway junction: the Kaposvár – Fonyód railway line branches off from the Székesfehérvár – Gyékényes railway line (Southern Railway) at the station here.
Fonyód also has its own port, from where hundreds of thousands of people sail to the other side every year. The island of anglers of more than 40 fish species living in Lake Balaton begins at the entrance to the port.
The origin of his name
Its name is traced back to the verb ‘fon’: it was inhabited by royal spinning peoples who weaved mats, willows, nets.
The first group of people around Fonyód appeared 17–18
thousand years ago. At the time of the conquest, it belonged to the
estates of the Bő clan. It is believed that there may have been a
strong castle on Castle Hill, served by a population engaged in
viticulture, fruit growing, and animal husbandry.
It was first named after King St. Ladislaus in 1093-95. He cites it among the estates of St. Martin's Abbey in the form 'Funoldi'. In 1232 IX. Pope Gregory's letter also commemorates him, but Master Albeus canons from Esztergom 1237–40. did not occur in the census of. 1332-37. It was recorded in the papal tithe list in the form of Sconold, Fonold. By this time he already had a parish.
It occurred in the form of Fonoldh in the 1536 tax register. 1563: LV. According to the article of law, the castle of Fonyód, which originally belonged to the Polish family in Lake Balaton, was ruled by Bálint Magyar from Palonai. The enemy finally fell into the hands of the enemy in 1575, after the death of Bálint Magyar, but they destroyed it to the ground, and according to the testimonies of 1612, the captains of Tihany laid their hands on the Polish cattle. In 1726 it belonged to the Puszta and the Polish family. In 1733 it belonged to the widow of Miklós Lengyel. For the present, only the former moat indicates its former extent. It was not until the middle of the 18th century that life resumed in the depopulated settlement. In the first half of the 19th century we find it in the possession of Julianna Lengyel, Baron Pyhthory Menyhért. From the 1840s onwards, part belonged to the Inkey family and part to the Wodianer family. At the time of the War of Independence, it was still inhabited by 108 people (celery, manorial fishermen). A rudimentary harbor was built in the 1840s, bringing the steppe into shipping. Drainage, fishing and viticulture provided livelihoods for newer families. For centuries, the vineyards of Fonyód have established a flourishing vineyard on its untouched slopes. Railway construction later became a driving force, because from its inception many men worked on deforestation and earthworks on the southern shore of Lake Balaton. In 1869 it was inhabited by 312.
At the turn of the century, Fonyód started to become a resort, and dr. To the county chief physician Manó Szaplonczay, who persuaded Béla Zichy, the owner of the forested mountain, to parcel out an area of his estate for holidaymakers. The Balaton – Fonyód Bélatelep was established in 1894, and an upscale fork was built by the turn of the century. The opening of the railway line between Kaposvár and Fonyód in 1896 also made it easier to travel here from the county seat. From then on, the settlement started to develop rapidly, and a new zone, the Sándortelep, began to form. This part of town dr. It was named after a doctor, Sándor Berzsenyi, who won officials as landowners, and they built more modestly than in Bélélepi, but much closer to the water. Fonyód became an independent village in 1906. In the following decades, the guest traffic picked up, and in one season 4–5 thousand people stayed in Fonyód. By 1928, the motorway was completed next to the railway, and the settlement became an independent large village, then after 1950 it became the district seat. Exploration for hot water was also started in 1957, as a result of which carbonated water was found, and since then mineral water has been known as ‘Fonyódi’. The town celebrated its 900th anniversary in 1982 and was granted city status on March 1, 1989.
Fonyód also has a crèche, a kindergarten, a primary school, a grammar school, a vocational school, a prosecutor's office, a court, a cultural center, a library and a museum collection.
From 2013, Fonyód became the district seat again.
King Matthias High School
The building of the Mátyás Király Gimnázium and Postaforgalmi Szakközépiskola was built according to a type plan in 1963, it was expanded between 1986 and 1989 according to the plans of the architect Ferenc Salamin, when it received the style features typical of Hungarian organic architecture. Its spacious hall not only serves education, but also the arena of the city's artistic and cultural life.
The grammar school hosted the Fonyódi Helikon poet's meeting for 25 years, where the best-known authors of contemporary Hungarian and cross-border Hungarian literature can meet each other and their readers.
The former Villa Gallery
Not far from the port, Fürdő u. No. 3 It was built in the early 1900s, originally owned by the mayor of Kaposvár, István Németh. In addition to the artists living and creating in Fonyód, it included the work of many of the leading artists. It opened in 1986 as the Summer Gallery. The owner sold it to Fonyód municipality, privately owned.
As a result of local, county and national cooperation, a villa building was re-enchanted in 2003 (owned by Antal Velics, built in 1906), and in Bélatelep, Bartók Béla u. No. 3 The Fonyód Museum is located in the old cinema building, where, in addition to the permanent local historical and ethnographic material, visitors can get acquainted with the fauna and flora of Lake Balaton and the importance of nature protection. In addition, there are also temporary exhibitions.
The Fonyód Summer Festival was created in a tradition-creating way. This is the commemoration of the former defenders of the Fonyód castle, where riders and archers dressed in period costumes will give a presentation at the excavated and restored Pheasant Palánkvár. The city has a long tradition of St. Stephen’s Day events, on August 20 every year. The event, which attracts a large number of interested people, will feature a parade of dancers dressed in folk costumes and the blessing of new bread, combined with a short, ecumenical service. One of the largest winter gastronomic programs on Lake Balaton, the Fonyód Sausage Festival, organized since 2010, attracts visitors from all over the country.
Places of interest
The most impressive shopping line on the southern shore of Lake Balaton was completed in 2004 between the boat station and the beach
The double nude of sculptor István Kiss stands on the waterfront; it became a symbol of the settlement.
The monument of the first flyover of Lake Balaton, Antal Lányi, is also located here.
In the Pheasant Park you can see the ramparts of the former pile building of the Pheasant Castle and the newly excavated moat. The foundations of the church in the castle can still be seen today.
Press House Restaurant - one of the intact monuments of local folk architecture (more than 200 years old listed building).
The headstones in front of the Protestant church evoke the memory of the civilians of World War II, and the monument in Kossuth Forest commemorates the heroic dead of World War I and World War II.
The more than 100-year-old Roman Catholic church.
The bell tower of the chapel in Szent István Street is reminiscent of the Hungarian holy crown.
The monument-protected villa line of Bélatelep was built in the 1890s.
Várhegy Lookout Tower (formerly Berzsenyi Lookout Tower, "Várhegyi Széplátó" since 2012)
Sipos mountain lookout
Memorial plaque of András Fodor
Twin town park
Walko Lookout Tower (in memory of Lajos Walko)
Crypt Villa (built in 1941)
Monument to Manó Szaplonczay
Statue of Mihály Pál entitled Wind of Lake Balaton
Statue of Turul (2010)
Erzsébet camp in Fonyódliget
Under the auspices of the Elizabeth Camps in the school year, the so-called it provides free class trips and free holidays for thousands of children in need during the summer holidays on weekly shifts.