Gyenesdiás is a large village in Zala County, in the district of Keszthely. There is a civil guard in the settlement.
It is located on the northern shore of the Keszthely Bay, right next to Keszthely and 8 km from Hévíz, in a beautiful natural environment, bordered on the north by the Keszthely Mountains and on the south by Lake Balaton.
The settlement is connected to the Balatonszentgyörgy – Tapolca – Ukk railway line by two railway stops (Gyenesdiás and Alsóénz). In addition to the passenger trains between Tapolca and Keszthely, several long-distance flights stop at the two stops, thus connecting to Celldömölk, Szombathely, Kaposvár and Pécs, as well as to Sopron in summer.
The settlement is crossed in the east-west direction by the 71 main secondary road running along the northern shore of Lake Balaton. Its bus traffic is dense, as several suburban, intercity and long-distance flights departing from Keszthely affect the settlement, but in addition, the local flight marked Keszthely 1 also runs to the village.
earliest finds in the area of Gyenesdiás are from the Neolithic
era. It became an important Roman residence from the 1st century,
and then Avars moved here. The medieval tomb found here was the
first such archaeological find in the entire Carpathian Basin.
In the Middle Ages, the first settlement was established in the area of today's large village, which was probably already in the 11th century on the north-western border of today's Gyenesdiás. Its first church dates from 1333, which was also the first written mention of the village. From 1408 it became the property of the Rezi castle, then in 1427 it became part of the Pethő family, which also entailed the strong attachment of the settlement to Keszthely.
In 1548 the Turks burned the settlement, and from 1564 it was taxed continuously, so the population decreased, and by 1686 it was completely depopulated.
In 1696 a new settlement appeared on the vineyard of Falud: Gyenes. During the 18th century, Falud and Gyenes became the property of the Festetics family. By the end of the century, Gyenes had already become a significant village, and then in the 1820s it was a functioning mountain village, which was divided into the Lower and Upper Free, which can still be observed today. The chapel of St. Ilona, now a monument, was built in 1826 from the stones of the former village church in the settlement.
In the eastern part of Gyenesdiás in the Middle Ages lay the village of Diás, the first mention of which dates from 1341. By the 1530s, the settlement consisted only of noble plots, most of its area was vineyards. Already in the 17th century, mountain villages, mainly farmers in Keszthely, cultivated grapes here.
Gyenes and Diás merged in 1840 to form Gyenesdiás, which had an independent self-government and received an independent school in 1871. Even at the beginning of the 20th century, the population of the settlement lived almost exclusively from agriculture.
The modernization of the village took place after 1945, one of the most important steps of which in 1954 was the construction of the best beach bath on Lake Balaton. Since then, tourism has become the main source of income for the settlement.
Standing shield with
round soles. The red shield head is divided by a tent field with a
blue shield field in which a green lower bandage (curved three times
in its upper cut) is located. In each red field there is a golden
rose cross. And in the blue shield field, above the bandage, a bunch
of golden, leafy grapes floats between two six-pointed silver stars.
In the middle of the shield sole, reaching into the upper arch of
the bandage, a three-pronged, golden spear rises. The shield is
surrounded on the right by a golden oak leaf and on the left by a
golden almond branch.
The symbol system of the coat of arms
In the red color of life, the two golden rose crosses point to the living belief of the former - dating back to Roman times - and today. The two crosses also symbolize the once two settlements (and churches), Gyenest and Dias, which were merged in 1840 by Gyenesdiás.
The green, three-curved band in its upper section refers to the topographic conditions of this characteristic Balaton Uplands area, the individual mounds evoke the ancestors of Gyenesdiás (Falud, Gyenes and Diás villages), but indirectly - by including an element of the Hungarian coat of arms, the triple mound feeling too.
The golden bunch of grapes displays the famous viticulture, dating back two thousand years, evoking the life of the former mountain village as well as the current results of winemaking.
According to Hungarian folklore, the stars draw attention to famous ancestors ("who have a star"). We can think of either the Avar leader who died here around 660 or the members of the Pető family of the former owner Gersei. who were either the chief lords of the county (then Zala) for half a century, or to the Counts of Festetics, three of whom (Kristóf, György, László) played a significant role in the life of the villages or the excellent natives of the village.
The cute harpoon evokes the sea god Neptune and the classic
traditions with it, symbolizing fishing with a great past and living
traditions and the “divine” aquatic life, swimming, sailing,
relaxing relaxation in the blue of the “Hungarian sea” in the golden
The oak leaf is a detail of the native plant of the natural landscape, reminiscent of the millennials, heroic dead and victims of the inhabitants of the settlement, the flowering almond branch indicates the almond tree native here. symbolizes working.