Kaposvár (German: Ruppertsburg, Croatian: Kapošvar) is a county town in Southern Transdanubia, the seat of Somogy County and the Kaposvár District, a university town and the episcopal seat.

The city was first mentioned in 1009. From 1061 it served as a church center, and then in the 13th century the castle was rebuilt, which became increasingly important in Turkish times. Kaposvár belonged to the estates of the Esterházy family from 1690, who made it the center of their estates in Somogy, so the economic and administrative role of the settlement increased. In 1749, the seat of Somogy county was also established here. Most of the people who moved to the county seat consisted of craftsmen and merchants who started Kaposvár on the path of civic development. The population grew steadily, the most important public institutions were rebuilt, the conditions for rail and road transport were created, and then in the 19th century the development of industry and the economy began. Today, Kaposvár has become one of the most important cities in Transdanubia, an economic, cultural and sports center.


The origin of his name
The name of the town comes from the word combination “gate” and “castle”, reminiscent of a castle built in the 13th century in the swampy Kapos Valley. The name of the settlement first appeared in 1009, in the charter of St. Stephen defining the boundaries of the bishopric of Pécs.

Throughout history, the city has received special names in many languages. German Kopisch, Ruppertsberg, Ruppertsburg; Croatian officially Kapošvar; Slovenian Rupertgrad; Turkish Kapoşvar; and in Serbian, Капошвар, Kapošvar. It used to be called Kapušar by the South Slavs of the inhabitants, Kapušar by the ducal arable lands, and Kapušvar by the islanders.

Kaposvár is located on the two banks of the river Kapos, in the area of ​​the Somogy hills, in a wonderful environment, between the slopes of Zselic. The Zselic Landscape Protection Area is located in the southern part.

The city, like ancient Rome, was built on seven hills, named: Kecel, Körtönye, Lonka, Iszák, Kapos, Roma and Ivánfa (but some do not list exactly the same seven hills (the locals call them all mountains). Today they form the southern parts of Kaposvár. The highest point of the city is approx. It lies 260 m above sea level, about 1 km south of Töröcske, along the so-called Postakocsi road, which was once the most important route between Kaposvár and Szigetvár.

In the part of Zselicség towards Kaposvár, five watercourses flow into the Kapos River. The Berki stream, which originates in the Ropolyi forest, flows into Kapos at the foot of Kecel Hill, and the Töröcskei stream at the confluence of the Cser and Donner districts. The Zselic stream, or as it was called by the locals for a long time, originating in the Pölöskei forest, while the Ivánfai and Nádasdi streams in the eastern part of the city also increase the flow of the river. In the area of ​​the city, from the north, four more streams with lower water flows carry water to the river, namely the Csörge, Füred, Kisgáti and Deseda streams.

The 8-kilometer-long Lake Deseda, with its 30-hectare arboretum, is located in the northern part of Kaposvár.

Lake Balaton is 50 km away, Pécs is 60 km away, Nagykanizsa is 70 km away, Szekszárd is 90 km away and Budapest is 185 km from the city.