Kazincbarcika

 

Kazincbarcika is a town in northern Hungary, in Borsod-Abaúj-Zemplén county. It is located in the Borsod industrial area, 24 km north of Miskolc, in the Sajó valley. It is the third largest settlement in the county after Miskolc and Ózd. It is the seat of the Kazincbarcika district.

Its growth into a city is due to the industrialization that began after the Second World War. Its predecessors are industrial settlements, Sajókazinc mining village and Barcika, which has been home to the power plant since the 1920s. The two settlements merged in 1947 took on their present names the following year. In 1954 it was given the status of a city and another village was added to it, Berente. At that time, Kazincbarcika already had eleven thousand inhabitants, which tripled in twenty years, thanks to its largest employer, the Borsod Chemical Plant, which attracts a lot of labor and is still one of the most important companies in the region under the name BorsodChem Rt. Kazincbarcika suffered from the years around the change of regime, as did most of the industrial cities, but managed to recover. In 1999, Berente broke away from the city.

 

History

Kazincbarcika, as its name suggests, was created by the merger of several settlements.

Sajókazinc was first mentioned in 1240 as Kazincz. At that time it was owned by the Kazai Kakas family belonging to the Rátót genus. The ancient nest of the Kazai Kakas family was Kazán, but in addition to Kazán, his estate also extended to Kazincz, Igrici, Galgócz and Divény.

It was an agricultural settlement until the 19th century, then from 1850, when the coal mine was opened, the emphasis was on industry. Barcika was created from the merger of Lower and Upper Barcika, and although a mine was opened here at the end of the 19th century, the industrial character here remained secondary to agriculture throughout. However, in the early 1920s, a power plant was built to supply electricity to the whole of South Borsod, so Barcika also began to attract labor.

During the post-World War II industrialization, the two settlements became increasingly important and began to grow even more. They were officially merged in 1947, for the time being under the name Sajókazinc, and then in 1948 the formed large village took the name Kazincbarcika. It was granted city status in 1954, and in the same year the expanding settlement merged the municipality of Berente. At that time, it had more than 11,000 inhabitants.

In the 1960s, Kazincbarcika continued to develop, attracting labor to the Borsod Chemical Plant and actively participating in the development of the city. In the 1970s, the population reached thirty thousand.

Mining and industry also went into crisis in the 1980s, and this only intensified during the years of regime change. Unemployment has also reached significant levels in Kazincbarcika. From the mid-1990s, it seems, the city already knew the hardest times and could slowly start to develop again. Borsod Chemical Plant operates on the site of the Borsod Chemical Plant. BorsodChem Zrt. Is one of the leading companies in the region. Its field of activity is the production and processing of plastic raw materials, the production of isocyanates. The number of employees in 2014 exceeded 2,500.

In 1999, Berente separated from the city and became an independent village.