Kecskemét is a city with county status, the seat of Bács-Kiskun county and the Kecskemét district. According to the resident population, it is the eighth largest settlement and the seventh largest settlement in Hungary according to the administrative area. About 22% of the population of Bács-Kiskun county lives in Kecskemét.
Of the large cities, Kecskemét is the closest to the country's geometric center, Pusztavacs. The city located between the Danube and the Tisza owes its existence to the favorable local conditions. It is easily accessible from all parts of the country, from Budapest by motorway approx. It is 45 minutes away.
Its immediate surroundings have been in the i. e. It was also inhabited in 3000. An urn cemetery has also been unearthed from the Bronze Age. During the migration, first the Scythians, then the Jazigs of Sarmatian origin, later the Huns, Goths and Gepids, and finally the realm of nomadic Avars. During the construction of the Piarist grammar school, Avar tombs were found.
Kecskemét was located next to an important commercial road in the Great Plain, and soon as a city of customs and shopping, it stood out as a city among the surrounding settlements, in 1368 it was mentioned as a city by a charter of King Louis the Great. It was pledged in 1439 by Queen Elizabeth of Luxembourg. At that time, Kun was considered an accommodation area, the center of the Kecskemét chair.
During the Turkish occupation, the inhabitants of the area fled to the town protected by planks due to the constant fighting and then the afflictions of the Spah landlords. In addition to natural protection, Kecskemét was also spared the constant harassment by its special and exceptional legal situation, as it taxed the Buda pasha directly and thus also enjoyed its protection; it later became the property of the Sultan's treasury. The city, which survived Turkish times, was devastated by a brutal attack by the Rats on April 3, 1707.
Already at the end of the Rákóczi War of Independence, in 1710, it finally fell into the hands of the Habsburgs, and as a mass settlement it continues to develop. By the way, the cityscape - like almost all the market towns of the Great Plain - shows a zoned structure: the farm world is the most important; this is followed by gardens and orchards, with houses of all sizes; then the village-style, even closer to the center - already within the moats - paved small-town streets lined with acacia trees, and finally the metropolitan core.
Description of the settlement at the end of the 18th century:
KECSKEMÉT: Population good Hungarian field City Pest County. earthly Lords G. Koháry, G. Károlyi, Gr. Csáky, G. Áspremont, and several Lords, inhabited by Catholics, Reformed, evangelicals and few believers, lies ten miles from Pest. Among his more notable buildings are the ‘House of the City,’ the House of Soldiers Officers, the House of Orphans; the ‘City Archive’ is also notable here, for some of the leaves in Turkish Turkish silk savings that are still maintained today, ‘s a’ t. Diszesiti e ‘City is a beautiful Register for the‘ Pilers ’, notable Schools and Holy Churches, a building for the‘ Franciscans ’, and for the Reformed Churches,‘ s populous schools. Another building is built in the year 1794/5, very happily by burning, they are already even more ornate. ‘The city spreads very limestone,’ and ‘is magnified no less by many majors. Its border is famous throughout the country, especially in its very large wilderness, on which olly many gulls and studs are reared, and ‘s main incomes occasionally come from here’ to the inhabitants; their garden vines are abundant, there are also many rooms, fruits are scarce, ‘and they are mostly ground in dry mills, however, the‘ Kecskemét Women’s Bears bake famous breads. Salt salts are also notable and they can make good soap with their help. Its border is mostly sandy, although there are good ways to sell it locally; but many also go to Pest for sale. Butter, cheeses, wines are enough for the 'Kecskemétis, cereals are usually produced enough compared to their population, but they are used to be exchanged for fruit, many in the wilderness, they raise many cattle and many sheep, there is a shortage of drinking water, the 'City wells, being nitrous, do not drink people's water, there are a lot of aches and pains, yet it nods and provides a good home for its good Hungarian inhabitants.
(András Vályi: Description of the Hungarian Country, 1796–1799)
An important stage in the civic transformation was that in 1832 his fiduciary burdens were redeemed in one amount. It was then that sand gardening and viticulture, which are still quite typical of the landscape, began to unfold.
The city was one of the first to join the 1848 military
recruitment: on September 25, 1848, Lajos Kossuth gave his famous
call to war in the old fairgrounds. After the compromise, in 1868,
the peasant movement led by János Asztalos started here, which takes
on national proportions. The house regiment of the town at that time
was the 38th Imperial and Royal Infantry Regiment of Mollináry. The
spectacular development of the town began at the end of the 19th
century, when the phylloxera pest almost completely destroyed the
country’s mountain vineyards, while at the same time its damage on
the looser sandy soil was insignificant. In the 1870s, larger
vineyards developed around the town, despising the foundations of
the grape-fruit farm typical of the first half of the 20th century
in Kecskemét. Also in 1870, Kecskemét received the title of a city
with the right to legislate. The penitentiary, which still operates
today, was built in 1904 according to the plans of architect Gyula
Wagner. The city of Kecskemét gave the finished building complex to
the Hungarian State as a “gift”. On July 8, 1911, the second largest
earthquake in Hungary in the 20th century shook the city. The
magnitude of the quake was VIII and its magnitude was 5.6, during
which hundreds of residential buildings as well as public buildings,
including the Reformed Church, were severely damaged. The earthquake
caused damage worth 8 million gold crowns.
The development of the 19th century was first broken by the great world economic crisis of 1929–33, then the war years followed, many men from Kecskemét took part in the World War in the 7th Miklós Zrínyi Infantry Regiment and its twin regiment, the 37th Infantry Regiment. The city was occupied on November 1, 1944 by Soviet troops. After 1945, the radically transformed socio-political system created a completely new situation: for the first time in its history, Kecskemét was given a significant administrative role, becoming the seat of the country's largest county, Bács-Kiskun County, in 1950.
Bugac, Lakitelek and Nyárlőrinc separated from the administrative area of Kecskemét in 1950, Ágasegyháza, Helvécia, Lászlófalva (now Szentkirály), Városföld and Hetényegyháza in 1952, the latter village was annexed to Kecskemét in 1981, Ball angle.
During the 1956 revolution, several people fell victim to fires during the protests, the first on October 26th. The next day, on October 27, the Gypsy town of Kecskemét was destroyed by tanks, and two MiG-15 fighter jets also machine-guned the gypsy settlement. Witnesses and historians say there were many injured and several fatalities in the brutal action.