Komló

 

Komló (German: Kumlau, Croatian: Komlov) is a town in northern Baranya, the center of the Komló district. It is the second most populated settlement in the county after the county seat. The settlement was famous for its coal mining for a century; thanks to its mining treasures, it was vigorously developed in socialist times, declared a city in 1951. Today, it is the dominant economic, administrative, cultural and health center of Northern Baranya. It includes the Sikonda holiday village, since 1954 in Kisbattyán, Mecsekfalu and Mecsekjánosi, and between 1958 and 1992 it was also part of Mánfa together with Pécsbudafa.

 

History

Komló Árpádian settlement. His name was first mentioned in the charters in 1256 in the form of Villa Complov. It was written in 1312 in Cumplow, in 1320 in Kemle, in 1321 in Komlod, in 1329 in Komlou, between 1332 and 1335 in Konlod, Komlod, Cumulod versions.

Hops belonged to the villages of the Pécsvárad abbey. The diplomas described it in 1256 and then in 1329 as a settlement bordering János with the counties of Tolna County. In 1312 and 1320 his priest was already mentioned, who according to the papal tithes paid 30 papal tithes in 1333, 10 in 1334, and 20 in 1335.

At the beginning of the 20th century, it belonged to the Hegyháti district of Baranya County.

In 1910, it had a population of 1,513, of which 1,002 were Hungarians, 462 were Germans, and 40 were Gypsies. Of these, 1449 were Roman Catholics, 29 Lutherans, 19 Israelites.

In 1951 it was granted city status, in 1954 Kisbattyán, Mecsekfalu (whose name was Szopok until 1928) and Mecsekjánosi were added to it, then in 1954 Mánfa, which in 1992 became an independent village again.

In 2001, out of its 27,081 inhabitants, 26,294 were Hungarians, 419 Gypsies, 289 Germans, 29 Croats, 18 Romanians, 6 Ukrainians, 6 Poles, 5 Serbs, 5 Slovaks, 5 Slovenians and 5 Greeks.

Today's population is declining rapidly, mainly because it is difficult to find work locally: there were still thirty thousand people living in Komló in the 1990s, 25,881 in 2009 and 23,604 on 1 January 2015.