Mezőkövesd

 

The city of Mezőkövesd in Borsod-Abaúj-Zemplén county is the seat of the Mezőkövesd district. It is the fourth most populated settlement in the county after the county seat.

 

Location

It is located on the southern edge of the Bükk region, at the confluence of the Great Plain and the Northern Central Mountains. It is located 20 km from Eger and 50 km from Miskolc.

 

History

The area was already inhabited during the migration period, and archaeologists assume a large, populous Avar settlement from the many Avar tombs excavated in the area. The first Hungarian settlement was established during the conquest, but the ecclesiastical census of 1275 refers to it as an uninhabited village, presumably destroyed during the Tartar invasion. It has been the southernmost settlement of the Diósgyőr estate since the 14th century. It was already mentioned as a market town in the 15th century.

On March 28, 1450, Bishop János Hunyadi and László Hédervári concluded the peace of Mezőkövesd with the Hussites, according to which Giskra was able to keep the mining towns. In 1464 he received a seal from King Matthias, later other privileges. According to legend, the name of the people of the town and the surrounding villages, the Matyo ethnic group, also derives from the name Matthias (the name originated in the 18th century; it was a distinctive name used by the Protestant population of the northern areas, referring to the area's Catholic population).

 

From 1544 the city was under Turkish occupation, it was destroyed in 1552 - the year of the siege of Eger Castle, it remained uninhabited for years after the Battle of Mezőztereses in 1596, and it did not regain its older population until the end of Turkish times.

In 1784, Mezőkövesd redeemed himself from his fiduciary, the Hungarian crown. On February 28, 1849, the army defeated in the battle of the chapel fought a victorious battle with the emperors on the outskirts of the settlement, led by György Kmety, Lajos Aulich and Richard Guyon.

The settlement flourished, it was well influenced by the construction of the railway line (1860s). In terms of population, the year 1941 holds the record, according to the census it had almost 21,000 inhabitants at that time.

In 1939, during an oil exploration well drilling, the 72-degree, sulfur-containing thermal water spring burst from a depth of 800 meters on the family property of Member of Parliament Lajos Zsóry. Water helps treat rheumatic diseases, various abrasions and arthritis, injuries and orthopedic procedures, but is also suitable for relieving gynecological complaints. The Zsóry Spa and Beach Bath, in short the Zsóry Bath, was built here.

Today's Mezőkövesdje preserves its folk traditions as the “capital of Matyóföld”, but at the same time, with its schools, sports facilities and other institutions, it also meets the requirements of 21st century cities.