The city of Ózd is located in Borsod-Abaúj-Zemplén county, the
center of the Ózd district, the most populous settlement of the
county after the county seat.
Its name comes from the folk name of the úz. The Uzes were a people related to the Turks who lived in the Al-Danube region and on the Russian steppes in the second half of the 11th century. They were scattered, some of them got into this valley, and from this name the name Ózd evolved - with the addition of the diminutive suffix “d”. This, of course, is just one possible explanation for the origin of the name. In 1325 we can meet the name of the settlement in the form of Ouz. In the 14th century we also find the personal name Ózd. The name of the settlement appeared in the following forms: 1272: Ovzd, 1323: Ouzd, 1388, 1471, 1549: Ozd, 1773: Oszd, 1780–81: Ózd, Ozd, 1785–86: Ózd, from 1873: Ózd.
Casino. It was built in Neo-Renaissance style for factory officials
in 1884, based on the plans of an architect named Jedech.
City museum. Local history collection, history of iron production, 19th century craft culture, mineral collection.
Industrial open-air museum. An outdoor technical open-air museum.
Ív úti Roman Catholic church. Dedicated to the Exaltation of the Holy Cross. It was built from 1891 to 1893 by master builder Jakab Szvoboda from Salgótarján. Its altarpiece was painted by Alajos Sajósy.
Szentsimoni Roman Catholic Church. It was consecrated in honor of Saint Simon and Saint Jude in Szentsimon. The 13th century Romanesque church was rebuilt in the 14th and 15th centuries. It was rebuilt in the Gothic style in the 19th century. The mural of the nave was made in 1423. The painted coffered wooden ceiling was made in 1650, the organ was made around 1720, and the organ gallery was made in 1750.
Sajóvárkonyi Roman Catholic Church. Saint Nicholas is its patron saint. It originates from the 13th century, but its current shape is the result of a braid-style transformation around 1780. The high baroque altar was made in the 18th century.
Bolyok district. Queen of the Rosary church and parish.
Lord. Church of the Immaculate Conception. Gothic, of 15th century origin. It was remodeled in the 19th and 20th centuries. Its painted wooden ceiling was made in 1733. The 18th century wooden statue of St. John of Nepomuk is a precious memory of the church.
Saint John the Baptist Church in Hodoscsépány. Its full name is the Martyrdom Church and Parish of St. John the Baptist.
Greek Catholic Church. It was built in 2000, designed by the Ybl prize-winning architect Csaba Bodonyi, and dedicated to the protection of the Mother of God, a Byzantine-style church.
Evangelical church. Neo-Gothic style church designed by architect Gyula Szvoboda and handed over in 1902.
Reformed Church. It was built in 1905 according to the plans of the architect Gyula Szvoboda. From the donations of the faithful and with the support of the Vasgyár. Its organ was built by József Angster in 1912.
Bed and breakfast
Its name comes from the personal name written in the Chepan form used in the Árpád era, which is the Hungarian version of the South Slavic form of the name István (Stephanus in Latin), Styepan. The prefix Hodos was added to the place name Csépany in 1904, during the national arrangement of village names, to distinguish it from other settlements named Csépany, and refers to the Hódos stream.
The previously independent village was annexed to Ózd in 1978. Today, its name is spelled with a long "ó", this form arose after the annexation to Ózd (before the unification, the name of the village was always Hodoscsépány).
It lies in the valley of the Hódos stream, at the foot of the Bükk mountain range. His name first appeared in 1323 in the form Chepan. The 1848-49 monument can also be found in the part of the settlement.
His name appears in writing for the first time in 1263 in the form of Warkun. Later it can also be found in the forms Warkan, Warkon, Warkund. It was a church property. István Mekcsey died here in 1553, at the place where he was killed, a memorial plaque has been standing since 1985. There is also a heroic monument in the settlement, which was erected in memory of the victims of the First and Second World Wars. Sajóvárkony has been a district of Ózd since 1940.
It lies southwest of Ózd, in the valley of the Hódos stream. It was a completely deserted, uninhabited area until the beginning of the 1900s, and was populated only with the opening of the coal mine. The coal mine operated until 1972, when it was closed. The settlement was part of Hódoscsépány until 1978, when it became a district of Ózd together with the mother municipality.
In Ózdon, the History of the Factory exhibition was created in 1971,
which was intended to display the history of iron production with a long
history. Over the long years, thanks to diligent collection work, the
collection gradually expanded with objects showing the living conditions
of the workers, and with cultural-historical memories of the city and
its area. From 1994, it was housed in the historic building of the
Factory School built in 1895 as a museum collection. From July 1, 2007,
it is a member institution of the Cultural Institutions of Ózd. Ózd
Museum Collection and Factory History Memorial Park.
The Digital Power Plant is located in the area of the former Metallurgical Works, where the so-called Digital Carpathian Basin exhibition can also be viewed. The power plant is often the venue for exhibitions and events.
The National Film History Experience Park serves as a home for the film history exhibition of the past and present. In the building there is a wall called the green box, which can be a perfectly ideal choice for shooting music videos or movies. The largest and most unique element of the exhibition; a T-34 tank.
The Institution welcomes children and youth groups, or has already proven itself as a destination for class trips.
The preserved elements of the art nouveau hall space provide an exciting contrast to the contemporary architectural solutions for holding exhibitions. The corridors formed by the preserved electric distribution boards on the basement level, as well as the areas delimited by the naturally lit curved ramp leading down from the hall space, serve as the perfect location for visual and applied arts or interactive exhibitions.
Ózdi is the best building in the world in 2019.
Hungarian success crowned the 70th FIABCI World Prix d'Excellence awards gala. Forum Hungaricum Nonprofit Kft. Kultúrgyár Projekt – Ózd's application won the World Gold Winner award in the Heritage Category section. The prize awarded by FIABCI - the International Real Estate Association - was decided by an international jury made up of real estate developers from around the world, which praised the social utility of the Kultúrgyár Project - Ózd in terms of the preservation of built heritage, the revitalization of brownfield areas, and the creation of a cultural community space from industrial heritage.
The Reading Association was founded in the settlement in 1884, which
for many decades ensured the public library service, the functioning of
the creative cultural communities, and the cultural opportunities of the
population. In 1895, the factory brass band was already operating, in
1896 the theater group began its rehearsals, and in 1897 the singing
group, which still operates today, was founded. The first cinema was
opened in the village in 1912. The factory, Rimamurány-Salgótarjáni
Vasmű Rt., provided regular and secure earning opportunities to the
people living here. The Rt. built a casino for the factory officials,
but did not forget about the factory workers either. In 1923-24, the
still imposing building of the Reading Society was built, which still
stands today in its original form.
The Olvasó Egylet Székháza - at the expense of Rimaművek - was opened in a ceremonial setting on October 19, 1924, which was considered a very significant event in the life of the settlement at that time.
In rural terms, the building stood out for its huge size - 40 m wide, 63 m long - and modern equipment.
Considering its size, it was in sixth place among domestic theaters. The stage opening is 80 meters wide, and the auditorium originally had 840 seats. Architect Béla Marschzalkó, dr. Chief engineer István Finály, Béla Nahlik and jr. Engineered by Lajos Finály.
After the Second World War, the joint-stock company handed over the ownership of the building and all the movable assets there to the Iron Trade Union. The institution was named the Liszt Ferenc Cultural Center (LFMK), and soon a lively cultural life developed in the building. (The locals still refer to the house as Olvasó to this day.)
The Ózd Tiszti Kaszinó building was located in the area between Gyár
utca, which formed the center of Ózd at the turn of the century, and the
individually curved Tisztisor (now Bajcsy-Zsilinszky utca), in the
immediate vicinity of the Törzsgyár. The first member of the row of
buildings containing the city's important public buildings. Its entrance
facade faces north, onto Gyár Street, and its plane is set back from the
street line, which once gave the opportunity to place a landscaped
space. In the wooded area behind the rear part of the building, it was
once possible to place a garden room and various small shops.
The alignment of the roads leading into the area remains unchanged today (except for the Ív út interchange), and is still an individually designed part of the urban fabric. The prominent role of the Casino building was preserved and even increased by the creation of an ornamental square on its western side (today: Október 23. tér). The immediate environment of the building complex has changed, it has lost its representative character (it is mostly used for car parking), but the wooded nature of the back garden has remained. The eclectic style casino was built for the factory officials in 1884 - based on the camels of an architect named Jedech. The officers' dining room, reading room, dance hall, billiard room and guest rooms were created here. The building acquired its present form after the remodeling in 1938, but its external appearance was not changed. The most magnificent room of the casino, the so-called The mirror room was equipped with hidden lighting and ceiling stucco decoration. It was used as a casino until 1945, in the socialist era following the Second World War, the building housed the Technika Háza, the MTESZ Club, the technical library and some offices of the metallurgical plants for longer or shorter periods of time. Nowadays, the renovated building houses an educational institution - the Erkel Ferenc Music School. In the other part of the building block, on the side facing Október 23. square, was the János Bólyai Military Technical Faculty of the Zrínyi Miklós National Defense University.
The former dance hall is excellent for holding conferences and festive gatherings, and every spring it hosts the opening program of the Ózd Days, the festive representative body meeting. The Music School also found a home in the renovated Casino. The building is one of the locations of local higher education, as the lectures of the Ózd Dispatched Department of the University of Miskolc are held here, but previously, as mentioned above, the outposted correspondence department of the János Bolyai Military Technical Faculty of the Miklós National Defense University of Zrínyi was located here between 2007-2010.
The bronze statue standing on a red marble plinth was erected as a monument to the liberation of the city of Ózd on April 4, 1970. The date on the pedestal refers to the day of victory, May 9, 1945. It was created by Pál Pátzay, a two-time Kossuth award-winning artist.
Urban legend for the statue: when the bus station was relocated in the city, the statue pointed towards the new station, so it was invented that the female figure helps with orientation and shows the way to those waiting at the stop. Or something like that, it's not easy to formulate sensibly. They tried to solve the original meaning of the monument with humor, somehow.
Október 23. square is bounded by Gyár út and Munkás út, so it is an area partially closed to traffic, but due to the proximity of the nearby dental clinic and the former Ózd Metallurgical Works, a parking lot has been created. In the early 1990s, before the factory was closed, it was typical for the workers to protest in the square against the factory management, due to the large number of layoffs. Actually, the northern side of the square is connected to one of the entrances of the former factory - now Ózdi Industrial Park.
It is located in the industrial region of Northern Hungary, 60
kilometers northwest of Miskolc. A settlement built in the valleys of
the Gömöri-Hevesi hills belonging to the Northern Central Mountains. The
"city of seven valleys" can be approached from seven directions.
The most important access route to Ózd is highway 25, which runs through the entire city in a southwest-northeast direction. A number of lower secondary roads branch off from it and open into it, which explore parts of the city further away from the center and the surrounding settlements.
Salgótarján is connected to the catchment area (Zabar) by road 2306; This is also the main street of Bolyok and Szentsimon settlements.
The city center is connected to Farkaslyuk and through it to Szilvásvárad by road 2508.
It branches off from main road 25, from the Ózd roundabout at kilometer 72+650 – next to the Táblai cemetery – southwards to road 2522, known as Dózsa György út, towards Sáta; before leaving the city, it passes the Ózd lower stop, crosses the Sajóvárkony district, and then stretches along the eastern edge of the Kistó district.
In the southern part of Kistó, road 2524 branches off from the road just now, which stretches in the Jánossza valley towards Borsodbót and Uppony; even before leaving Ózd, it passes the Kiskapud district and its former railway station (the latter was served by the now defunct side road number 25 308, only 50 meters long).
Road 2525 leading through Királd to the Putnok area also touches its border in the southeast.
The secondary road No. 25 307, which runs to the Ózd railway station of the Miskolc–Bánréve–Ózd railway line, branches off near the kilometer section 69+300 of the main road 25.
One of the inner roads of its downtown was the side road number 25 122 (Bolyok access road), which, apparently, according to the status of 2022, is not considered an independent road, but became part of the main road 25.
The area has been inhabited since prehistoric times. The first
authentic written record containing the name of the settlement dates
from 1272. The settlement began to grow slowly from the end of the 13th
century, but for a long time it was a small village in Borsod county.
At the beginning of the 20th century, there were seven other villages outside of Ózd in today's area of the city. In 1940, it incorporated the villages of Ózd Bolyok and Sajóvárkony, and in 1949 it gained the status of a town. At the end of the 1950s, it was suggested that new villages (Hódoscsépány, Uraj, Susa, Szentsimon) should be annexed to the city, but then this was successfully abandoned for a long time - until the end of the 1970s - by the local leaders, due to the scarcity of development resources and the increase in population. referring to the insatiability of the demands caused by The other five settlements (Center, Hodoscsépány, Susa, Szentsimon and Uraj) were annexed to Ózd in 1978. In 1999, a part of the city, Farkaslyuk, became an independent village.
The city and its surroundings were far from the battles of history, in the mountainous and hilly region in the centuries before industrialization, the daily struggle was the utilization of the rich forests and the fields with few and low productivity. The big change in the XIX. It happened in the middle of the 20th century, when the lignite deposits were excavated and the iron factory was built to utilize them. 150 years of metallurgy is now largely history, but the technical culture and creative thinking of the people living here have remained. This has always been typical of the people here, since they had to live here and find new ways despite the distance from the capital and the unfavorable historical turns of fate.
The Ózd Metallurgical Works (ÓKÜ) was one of the most significant metallurgical plant complexes in the industrial region of Northern Hungary. However, from the 1980s, its importance in heavy industry decreased. This also contributed to one of the region's most pressing problems, unemployment and emigration.
The built monuments of the Ózd iron and steel industry - in the language of the locals "the factory" and the worker colonies connected to it - have been classified as an area of historical importance (MJT) since 2005.
The downsizing that started in the second half of the 1980s, among the first in the country, made it difficult for the city's residents to live. By the time of the demonstration held at the factory on February 26, 1991, 10% of the local population of working age was unemployed, and by January 1993, 12,650 (60.5%) of the 20,850 working-age residents had become unemployed. Since the liquidation of the Ózd Metallurgical Works, the town's population has been drastically decreasing. With the disappearance of industry, many people moved west in the hope of making a living.
Mrs. István Tóth
-1990: Dezső Varga
1990–1991: Ferenc Seffer (unknown)
1991–1994: László Strohmayer (independent)
1994–1998: László Strohmayer (independent)
1998–2002: László Strohmayer (independent)
2002–2006: Mihály Benedek (MSZP)
2006–2010: Mihály Benedek (MSZP)
2010–2014: Pál Fürjes (Fidesz-KDNP)
2014–2019: Dávid Janiczak (Better)
From 2019: Dávid Janiczak (For Ózdiakért and Ózdért Egyesület)
After the municipal election held in the settlement on October 12, 2014, it was not possible to announce the results of the mayoral election, because one of the candidates (Pál Fürjes, the former mayor) challenged the decision of the local election commission on the basis of suspected violations of the election law, and granted, they ordered a repeat of the election. The decision favored the Jobbik candidate, Dávid Janiczak: he won already on October 12, with a small majority, and on November 9, he was elected mayor with a difference of more than 5,000 votes in the repeated election.
The municipal representative body (since the 2010 election) has 14 members, excluding the mayor, of which (in the 2014–19 cycle) 5 are from the Fidesz-KDNP [after the 2014 elections, originally 8 members from the Fidesz faction 2014 three quit in December], 5 were from Jobbikos, 3 were independent, and 1 was from MSZP.
Gyula Hagyó-Kovács was born here on March 14, 1888, livestock
director of the Löszállás manor, farmer, member of the noble house;
On March 3, 1913, Zoltán Paál, the notary of the Arvisuras, was born here, a "robot shaman";
Elemér Somkuti, Hungarian forest engineer and university professor, was born here on October 25, 1923 († 2004);
The politician Alajos Dornbach was born here on January 21, 1936;
Mathematician Kálmán Győry, full member of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences, was born here on February 23, 1940;
Graphic artist and painter Károly Bera was born here in 1940 (The History of Magyarság);
József József Utassy, Attila and Kossuth Prize-winning poet and translator, was born here in 1941;
Handball player István Marosi was born here on April 5, 1944;
On October 1, 1945, Piroska Molnár was born here, a Hungarian actor awarded the title of Artist of the Nation, winner of the Kossuth and Jászai Mari Prizes, a worthy and excellent artist;
Football coach and national team captain János Csank was born here on October 27, 1946;
On August 3, 1949, Sándor Falvai, a Liszt Prize-winning and Bartók Prize-winning pianist, was born here, the Liszt Ferenc Music Hall. College rector (1997–2004);
On August 4, 1949, György Radványi DLA, Ybl prize-winning architect, award-winning university professor, chief architect of Sátoraljaújhely (2006-) and Füzér (2007-) was born here. Deputy Head of the Department of Public Building Design at the BME Faculty of Architecture (1992-2004) and acting head of the department in 2000-2001;
Athlete Mária Kiss was born here on April 26, 1949;
Balázs Radványi Kossuth and Prima Primissima award-winning composer, performer, musician, member of Kaláka, winner of the Hungarian Heritage Award, was born here on February 17, 1951;
Handball player Zsuzsanna Szloboda was born here on October 5, 1954;
Zoltán Balog, Minister of the Ministry of Human Resources, was born here on January 7, 1958 (2012–);
The painter Gábor Váradi was born here on February 14, 1958;
Swordsman Stefanek Gertrúd was born here on July 5, 1959;
Weightlifter Kálmán Csengeri was born here on September 20, 1959;
Péter Fried, Liszt Prize winner, Bartók Pásztory Prize winning opera singer, private singer of the Hungarian State Opera House, was born here on May 3, 1960;
Actor Dénes Várhelyi was born here on December 29, 1960;
Actor György Juhász was born here on April 29, 1961;
Pál Veres, mayor of Miskolc, director of Földes Ferenc High School, was born here on February 15, 1962;
Actor, director and writer Zsolt Frenkó was born here on January 24, 1964
Actor, musician, painter, songwriter Attila Berencsi (Ary Beri) was born here on June 23, 1967;
Singer Andrea Gerák was born here on January 15, 1968;
Actress Eszter Timkó was born here on March 23, 1969;
Presenter Sylvia Barta was born here on January 26, 1970;
Football player Ottó Vincze was born here on August 29, 1974;
Rapper and presenter Péter Majoros ("Majka") was born here on August 5, 1979;
Nikoletta Nagy, European champion silver medal weightlifter, was born here on August 23, 1983;
Birta Brigitta was born here on September 10, 1988. She is the editor-in-chief of Shape magazine and Runner's World magazine;
Ákos Elek, Hungarian national football player, MOL Fehérvár FC player, was born here on July 21, 1988;
Singer Bata Adrienn ("Barbee") was born here on July 15, 1990.
Vincze Miklós, Csengery (2021) and Podmaniczky (2022) award-winning journalist, current 24.hu and former employee of the American Gawker Media, was born here on June 11, 1991.