Salgótarján (Slovak: Šalgov-Tarjany / Šalgotarján, German:
Schalgotarjan / Schalgau, based on its former names: Tarján and a
little later Salgó, according to the former spelling: Salgó –
Tarján) is a county town in Northern Hungary. It is the seat and
largest city of Nógrád county, the second smallest county seat in
Hungary after Szekszárd in terms of population. It is even the seat
of the Salgótarján district.
The name Salgótarján was derived from the composition of the names Salgó and Tarján. Salgó refers to the nearby Salgó Castle, a name derived from the adjective salgó (bright, bright). Tarján was the name of one of the conquering Hungarian tribes, a word of ancient Turkish origin, meaning prince, viceroy.
Salgótarján has 16 districts. Of these, 5 are former
villages that have been attached to the city. Somoskőújfalu belonged
to these districts until 2006. In Salgótarján, the districts have 4
larger and 1 smaller housing estates, the majority of which are
multi-storey towers or high-rise terraced houses made of
prefabricated panel elements or concrete.
Baglyasaljais a small settlement that also existed in the Middle Ages, which was located under the castle, in the northern part towards Salgótarján and in the Turkish world, the inhabitants of the refugees to the present place of the village. Above it rose Owl/ Baglyasalja Castle, otherwise known as "Stone Castle" or "Owl Castle". Hence its name (Bagolykőváralja, Baglyos, Baglyasalja). The castle here was first mentioned in a charter in 1310.
It is the highest part of Salgótarján, as it is located on a plateau 2 km long at an altitude of 500 meters above sea level. Salgóbánya was also a very small settlement in the Middle Ages, more of a farm.
On a 526-meter-high hill above the settlement, the castle, already in Slovakia, was built by members of the Elijah branch of the Kacsic family in the second half of the 13th century. As the members of the family supported Máté Csák against King Károly Róbert after the extinction of the Árpád House, the king confiscated their estates after the death of Máté Csák and gave them to Ispán Tamás Szécsényi. In 1593 it was recaptured by the Hungarians under the leadership of Bálint Prépostváry, including Bálint Balassi. In the 17th century, the castle was taken over by the Forgách family through marriage. At the end of the Rákóczi War of Independence, its walls were damaged by royal command.
In 1910, the village had 499 Hungarian-speaking inhabitants. It was attached to Salgótarján in 1977.
Under this name, the Minister of the Interior united the villages of Andrásfalva and Pálfalva on January 1, 1910, and thus became administratively one municipality. It has 218 houses and 3,499 Roman Catholics. His post office, telegraph and train station were in place. According to the 1548 tax census, János Lotho was the landlord of Andrásfalva. Subsequent censuses lack the village, and even the 1705–1720. does not occur in the census of.
The castle of Zagyvafő once stood on the 423-meter-high Castle Hill at the northern end of the settlement, built at the end of the 13th century by the Zagyvafő family of the Kacsics family, whose seeds were torn in the 1920s. hevert. In the 1440s, the area was seized by Czech Hussite mercenaries, who rebuilt the castle.
Kemerovó-lakótelep/ Kemerovo housing estate
It was built in the 1960s on the tailings dump of the József
shaft according to the plans of the Nógrád County State Construction
Company (NÁÉV). It consists of two parts: The so-called From the
“Grand Boulevard” and the so-called "From a small circle". The
latter is a smaller extension of the housing estate to the north.
The housing estate got its name from the Russian city of Kemerovo,
with which it maintained a twinning relationship with Salgótarján.
In return, one of Kemerovo's housing estates was named after
Gorkij-lakótelep/ Gorky housing estate
The Gorky housing estate was started to be built around the 1960s and 1970s on the western edge of Zagyvapálfalva on a hillside parallel to the 21st main road. The housing estate is located in the triangle of the Pálfalva-patak-Bányagépgyár-21 main road. It is named after Russian playwright Maxim Gorky.
Beszterce-lakótelep/ Bistrița housing estate
It is the largest and most populous of the city's housing
estates. In the northern part of the city, the main road 21 was
built in parallel according to the plans of the Nógrád County State
Construction Company (NÁÉV).
Location, geographical location
Salgótarján lies at the confluence of the Karancs, Medves and Cserhát mountains, in two narrow valleys of the Tarján stream and the Zagyva catchment, which form a “Y” shape. The valley is divided into smaller valley basins, where the parts of the city are located (for example: Baglyasalja, Zagyvapálfalva). The transport backbone of the city is the main road 21 (which is only 2 × 2 lanes to the city) running from south to north in the valley of the Tarján stream, and the Hatvan – Somoskőújfalu railway line. The valley bottoms of the city center are located at 230-240 meters and other residential areas at 220-500 meters. The highest inhabited area of the city is Salgóbánya, 500 meters high.
The highest mountain near the settlement is Karancs, which rises to a height of 729 meters.
The typical soil types in and around the county are brown forest soil and pale forest soil, as well as crushed sandstone. Due to the Zagyva valley, the so-called Meadow soils, which are also excellent for smaller cultivations. These can be mainly berries. e.g. grapes, strawberries, strawberries, blackberries.
The climate of the Karancs-Medves mountains is characterized by continentality. The impact of Atlantic, continental and Mediterranean climate elements is felt here. In the mild, rainy, moderate summer, in the regular rainfall distribution, the Atlantic effect; in the cold winter, the early summer precipitation peak is continental; in dry, hot summers, in autumn-winter rains, the effects of Mediterranean air masses are manifested. The average annual temperature is 1-2 ° C below the national average of 10 ° C. The annual precipitation in the Karancs region is 550–600 mm, and in the western slopes of the Karancs and higher mountains 650–700 mm. The predominant winds in the countryside are northwest, and the northeast is common on the eastern slopes. The average number of hours of sunshine per year is 1859.