Sumeg Castle

Sümeg Castle


Location: Sumeg, Veszprém county Map

Constructed: 13th century

Tel. (087) 55 02 76

Apr- Sept: 10 am- 6 pm


Description of Sumeg Castle


Sumeg Castle is located in Sumeg, Veszprém county of Hungary. Castle hill that rises at 885 feet (270 meters) has been inhabited since the Roman times. Roman legions first erected wooden fortress here to defend their empire against raiding Germanic tribes. Sumeg Castle was build here in the 13th century and subsequently almost completely reconstructed in the 16th century. Sumeg citadel is also a museum of Medieval life. Re- enactments of battles and jousts are held here in summer months of the year. Besides here you can find restored fortune chambers with authentic weapons of trade, collection of weapons, couches and other exhibitions. Traditional dances are also held here every year. One of the town’s main attractions is the Roman Catholic Church of Ascension build in 1756- 58 on Biro Maron utca (street). Beautiful frescoes of Austrian Franz Anton Maulbertesch adore walls of the church inside Sumeg Castle.


Church of Ascension

  Sümeg Castle'


ARC. By order of King Béla, the bishop of Veszprém erected a strong stone castle on the hill of Sümeg. At the beginning of the 14th century, the oligarchs of Transdanubia, the Kőszeg family, seized the power of unlimited power, and their rule was decided only by Károly Anjou in the victorious campaign of 1318. In the summer of 1440, the nobles of Queen Elizabeth of Luxembourg besieged the castle of Sümeg, part of the bishopric belonging to King Ulászló's camp, which, however, was successfully defended by the guards. The outer castle was soon built, making Sümeg the strongest stone castle in the area. The significance of Sümeg was only enhanced by the fact that the bishop of Veszprém also withdrew from his seat here, which was occupied in 1552 by the "pagan" armies. In 1553, its most modern fortification, the multi-storey, thick-walled Kövess bastion, was erected. In the spring of 1605, the Transylvanian noble army of István Bocskai, who rose up against the tyranny of the Habsburg House, occupied the castle, where Miklós Újlaky, Bishop of Veszprém, was assassinated, and then his head was lowered on the hillside. The military role of the II. He also kept it in the Kuruc war of independence, led by Ferenc Rákóczi, and from 1705 it was considered an important base for the insurgents, and even gunpowder was produced for the fighting army within its walls. With the decline of their luck in 1709, the Kuruc army, led by István Török from Telekesi, gave up without a cannon shot (the buildings of the castle were set on fire under the pretext of a military exercise four years later). On January 23, 1707, as István Török of Telekesi, the commander of the castle of Sümeg, resigned from his position, Count Antal Esterházy entrusted István Egerváry, László Palásthy and Mihály Sidy to the Sümeg commandant (castle command).

The defenseless fortifications were destroyed by the iron teeth of the weather, along with the population, for centuries, until the archaeological excavation and preservation that began in the 1960s began. In the best restored medieval stone castle of the Balaton Uplands, the lives of the former heroes are evoked with colorful castle games every summer.

From 2016, the castle will be renovated under the National Castle Program.

Renovation of the castle within the framework of the National Castle Program
The castle will be renewed from the European Union (GINOP-7.1.1-15-2016-00012) from the European Union (GINOP-7.1.1-15-2016-00012) within the framework of the "Development of the Sümeg Castle for Tourism" project.

The aim of the project:
The development of parts of the building corresponding to the design and placement of new tourist attractions came to the fore.
It is necessary to create closed spaces for the presentation of tourism development and the exhibition material. Connected, interoperable, yet “castle-like” exhibition spaces will be created, which will have an exciting spatial structure for visitors.
From an architectural point of view and taking into account the long-term development, the mass reconstruction of the buildings in the eastern wing of the castle (barracks, castle house, medieval kitchen, Csabi Tower) and the construction of the north-eastern pedestrian walkways will take place.
The uniform design of the barracks, the castle house, the medieval kitchen restores the surroundings of the castle; the Csabi Tower provides the passage between the two wings of the Northeast Passenger Passage and the exhibition spaces. The construction of the sidewalks from the east side balances the transfer of the building mass of the new developments from the core of the castle to the Rendeki Tower, thus creating a more uniform building block, close to historical authenticity, yet well used for tourism and cost-effective.