Szeged is a county town, the third most populous city in Hungary,
the largest city in the Southern Great Plain, Csongrád-Csanád county
and the seat of the Szeged district at the confluence of the Tisza
The area has been inhabited since the Neolithic. The city was first mentioned in 1183. During the reign of King Louis the Great, it developed into the most important city in the region, in 1498 it received the rank of a free royal city. After Turkish rule, in 1715 he regained this rank. It received a coat of arms on May 21, 1719, and today City Day is still celebrated on May 21. Several notable events of the Revolution and War of Independence of 1848-49 are connected to the city.
One of the most significant events in the history of Szeged and in the formation of today's cityscape is the flood of 1879. Most of the buildings were destroyed, and today's Szeged was largely built after the flood: more beautiful, more modern buildings replaced the old ones. After the Treaty of Trianon, it took over the role of several detached cities in southern Hungary, and its importance continued to grow. In 1962 it became the seat of Csongrád county. In the years of socialism, its role in the light and food industry was strengthened, and today it is still one of the food industry centers in the country. It is also a university town and an important cultural center. The University of Szeged is the best qualified university in the country. Szeged events, such as the Szeged Outdoor Games, attract many visitors every year.
The inhabitants of Szeged have spoken many languages throughout history, most of them adapting the name of the city to their own language or spelling: German: Szegedin or Segedin, Serbian: Сегедин, Croatian: Segedin, Slovak: Segedín, Romanian: Seghedin. In ancient sources it is known in Greek: Partiscon, Latin: Partiscum.