Szekszárd (according to the old spelling: Szegszárd or Szegzárd, less often the Szexárd figure appeared in print, in German: Sechshard or Sechsard) is a county town, Tolna county and the seat of the Szekszárd district, the center of the Szekszárd wine region. It is the third most populous county seat in the country, after Tatabánya and Eger. Wine town, approx. With 4500 cellars. It is the smallest county town in the country.
It is located at the confluence of the Transdanubian Hills and the Great Plain. A significant watercourse passing along its border is the Sárvíz River, which originates in the ranges of the Bakony Fejér County and drains the waters of the Sió and Kapos rivers into the Danube, among others. There are several streams flowing in the town: the Szekszárd-Séd (Remete stream), the Parászta stream (Parásztai-Séd), the Völgségii stream.
Szekszárd can be approached on the M6 motorway, on the main road no. is connected by a main road. The St. Ladislaus Bridge (part of the planned M9 motorway) north of the city was handed over in 2003.
It can be reached by train on the MÁV railway line 46 (Sárbogárd – Szekszárd – Bátaszék). The railway station is located between Szekszárd-Palánk and Őcsény. Every two hours we can travel with InterRégió brand trains on the Baja - Sárbogárd route, in Sárbogárd there is a possibility of InterCity connection to Pécs and half of Budapest. There are 1 pair of Budapest express trains a day, issued from a modern Desiro motor train.
There are only buses in the city between the districts. With one transfer, you can get almost anywhere from anywhere. The service is provided by Volánbusz Zrt. Mostly with Mercedes Conecto type solo buses equipped with 2007 Euro low-floor Euro4 low-floor engines, according to the current public service contract, which has been extended several times, until the service provider or new public service contract is selected through a successful tender. between the local government and Volánbusz Zrt. In recent years, the city has spent a lot of money on modernizing public transportation. The Global Positioning System (GPS) passenger information system on buses has been coordinated with LED passenger information boards installed at major stops in 2015 to indicate how many minutes later the next flight will arrive at that stop. In 2015 and 2016, several bus bays and a bus round were renewed on the city’s backbone. The often heavily submerged deformed asphalt pavement has been replaced by a more resistant paving pavement that is easier to repair. The local line and schedule has been slowly unchanged for a decade, but change seems inevitable in the near future. The number of local bus users has been steadily declining for years, with ticket and season ticket revenues lagging year-on-year compared to the previous year, while the operating costs of the service are constantly increasing (wage costs and depreciation). The reason for the decrease in income and number of passengers is partly demographic: There is an increasing number of emigrants of free travelers over the age of 65, as well as minors, for reasons of study or work (Decreasing income from student / pensioner passes). Pursuant to the public service contract, the additional budget of the loss-making operation is to be compensated by the budget of the city of Szekszárd, which has kicked in at HUF 100-200 million a year in recent years.
The city has two train stations:
The long-distance station is located next to the railway station, on Pollack Mihály street. There is also a local train station. This station is one of the endpoints of the more than 320 km long South Transdanubia Pirostúra.
The other local station is at the TESCO department store.
From June 2009:
1, Autóbusz-állomás - Szent László u. - Béla király tér - Kápolna tér - Hosszú-völgy
2, Autóbusz-állomás - Wesselényi u. - Kadarka u. - Műszergyár - Palánk
2Y, Autóbusz-állomás - Wesselényi u. - Kadarka u. - Jobbparászta - Műszergyár - Palánk
2A, (gyorsjárat), Palánk - Műszergyár - Újváros - Posta - Autóbusz-állomás
3, Autóbusz-állomás - Tolnatej Zrt. - Ipari Park - Autóbusz-állomás
3A, Autóbusz-állomás - Tolnatej Zrt.
4, Tesco áruház - Tartsay u. - Autóbusz-állomás - Liszt Ferenc tér - Mérey u. - Kőrösi u. - Bottyán-hegy
4A, Tesco áruház - Csengey Dénes u. - Liszt Ferenc tér - Mérey u. - Kőrösi u. - Bottyán-hegy
4Y, Tesco áruház - Csatár - Kórház - Holub u. - Liszt Ferenc tér - Mérey u. - Kőrösi u. - Bottyán-hegy
5, Autóbusz-állomás - Kórház - Csatár - Baranya-völgy
5, Baranya-völgy - Csatár (Nyári időszámítás alatt hétvégén 6:25-kor)
5Y, Autóbusz-állomás - Kórház - Csatár - Otthon u. - Baranya-völgy
6, Autóbusz-állomás - Kórház - Csatár - Otthon u. - Szőlőhegy - Tót-völgy
6Y, Autóbusz-állomás - Béla király tér - Kórház - Csatár - Otthon u. - Szőlőhegy - Tót-völgy
7, Tesco áruház - Csatár - Alisca u. - Munkácsy u. - Béla király tér - Posta - Autóbusz-állomás - Tolnatej Zrt. - Ipari Park - Autóbusz-állomás - Liszt Ferenc tér - Béla király tér - Munkácsy u. - Alisca u. - Csatár - Tesco áruház
7A, Tesco áruház - Csatár - Alisca u. - Munkácsy u. - Béla király tér - Posta - Autóbusz-állomás
7B, Tesco áruház - Csatár - Alisca u. - Munkácsy u. - Béla király tér - Posta - Autóbusz-állomás - Tolnatej Zrt. - Ipari Park - Autóbusz-állomás
8, Szőlőhegy - Otthon u. - Csatár - Kórház - Újváros - Műszergyár - Palánk
8A, Szőlőhegy - Otthon u. - Csatár - Kórház - Újváros - Műszergyár
88, Tesco áruház - Csatár - Kórház - Szent László u. - Kadarka u. - Jobbparászta - Műszergyár - Palánk
89, Tesco áruház - Csatár - Kórház - Szent László u. - Kadarka u. - Jobbparászta - Műszergyár
9, Tesco áruház - Csatár - Alisca u. - Kórház - Újváros - Jobbparászta
9Y, Tesco áruház - Csatár - Alisca u. - Kórház - Zrínyi u. - Újváros - Jobbparászta
98, Tesco áruház - Csatár - Alisca u. - Kórház - Újváros - Műszergyár - Jobbparászta - Újváros - Kórház - Alisca u. - Csatár - Tesco Áruház.
11, Autóbusz-állomás - Újváros - Mocfa csárda (helyközi járatok közlekednek a vonalon)
Szekszárd was first mentioned in 1015. King Béla I founded the Benedictine abbey in 1061 (located on Béla Square near the county hall) and buried it here as well.
The pious King Bela then, on the third year of his reign, crushed his crumbling throne at Dömös; his body fell into an incurable disease; he was taken half-dead to the Kanizva stream because of some things in the country; he left the world there. He was buried in the monastery of the Holy Savior, which he himself built in a place called Szögszárd. Because Béla was angular in color and stem, he named his monastery Szögszárd, because of its condition.
- Márk Kálti: A capable chronicle
In the time of King Matthias, Szekszárd was the property of János Vitéz, who witnessed a conspiracy against the king, therefore his castle was demolished. In 1485 Szekszárd was already a market town, holding five fairs a year.
The city fell into Turkish hands in 1543, and the center of one of the Sandzaks was established here within the Buda vilajet. In Turkish times, the city suffered a lot and its monastery was destroyed. Ádám Béri Balogh was captured here during the Rákóczi War of Independence.
In 1779, Szekszárd became the county seat, guilds were formed, the abbey was abolished, and the city received a coat of arms. As a result of the settlements, its population has doubled almost every ten years. According to the 1789 census, it was the second most populous market town in the county, with 5600-5700 inhabitants.
Most of the settlers were Hungarian. The proportion of Germans did not even reach 20% in the 18th century, but they were still the most populous nationality in the city. In 1795, a fire set back development, but it resumed in the 19th century - when its public buildings were built: the town hall, the county hall, the hospital, and several churches.
Description of the settlement at the end of the 18th century:
Hungarian and German mixed Mezőváros Tolna Várm. his earthly lord is the ‘Science Exterior, located next to the waters of Sár, a good Hungarian meter from Tolna. It used to have a notable rich Abbey, and the ‘Benedictines’ clusters here, which II. King BÉLA was founded in 1061, and his body was also placed here, but faded under the yoke of the Ottomans; when it flourished, they helped the ‘King with a hundred horsemen. Unfortunately, much of this city was burned down in 1795, together with its famous Holy Church, but since then it has been remarkably rebuilt; he also has a post office and a hospital. The most notable building in it is the ‘County Hall, both for its very small location and for its Castle-like building; its border is of good fertility, its red wines are famous, and they are also carried to outer countries; its inhabitants live by handicrafts and farming; his fortunes are different.
(András Vályi: Description of the Hungarian Country, 1796–1799)
From the middle of the 19th century, the slow Hungarianization of
the Germans was characteristic.
The economic life of the city has long been determined by grape and wine production, ahead of other agricultural production and handicrafts. Trade was not significant, in the first half of the 19th century even the wine trade was mostly in the hands of farmers living elsewhere.
By the middle of the 19th century, it was already inhabited by 14,000. It was founded in 1905 as a city with an orderly council, at the end of the First World War Serbia claimed a territorial claim, in the Second World War it was occupied by the Soviets on November 30, 1944. As of October 30, 1994, it is a county town.
Its population has been steadily declining in recent years.