Zalakaros is a resort town in the Nagykanizsa district of Zala county, in the area of the Zalaapáti ridge. It is located in the southeastern part of the county, between Keszthely and Nagykanizsa. He is a member of the Association of Hungarian Spa Towns. It is the 7th most popular settlement in Hungary in terms of guest nights spent in commercial accommodation. There is a civil guard in the city.
The first mention of the settlement dates from 1254 as
Korus. At that time, Hungarian-speaking castle slaves with land
lived in the village, then in the IV. King Bela's wife brought
foreign settlers here.
Its church was built in 1430 in the settlement that was probably part of Somogy county at that time. Turkish times placed a heavy burden on the village, as both the Turks and the frontier soldiers serving in Kanizsa Castle mourned the crops of the locals. As a result, its population is almost completely depleted.
In the 18th century, the settlement was mentioned as a market town, which, however, could only be developed after the drainage of the surrounding swamps at the end of the 19th century, mainly due to the construction of the Southern Railway. It joined the traffic in the 1920s with intercity bus services. It was around this time that the local post office was also built. After the Second World War, emigration began, the primary direction of which became the highly industrialized Nagykanizsa.
In 1962, thermal water was found in the settlement, and in 1965, the spa was opened, which has been visited by more than 20 million people who want to relax and heal since its existence. The plans for the development and arrangement of the settlement and the recreation area were made in 1969-70 (ZALATERV / Tamás Kiss). Thanks to the spa, tourism started. The development organized by the efficient management of the Zalakaros Recreation Area Development Committee started and rapid development started. Zalakaros received the rank of a large village in 1984. A new kindergarten and gas pipeline network was established in 1987, and a new school was established in 1990. Zalakaros remained a significant tourist center even after the change of regime, but the new spas appearing in the area may be a serious competition for the settlement, which received city status in 1997.
The settlement is easiest to reach on
the north-south road 7522 between Galambok and Zalaapáti, but it is
also connected to Zalakomár by a side road, the road 7521. The 7511
road between Zalakomár and Nagykanizsa runs on a section of the
border of its administrative territory. The main road 7 runs south
of the city, about 5 km away, and the M7 motorway a few km south of
it. The Zalakaros-Zalakomár exit is located on the 191 km section of
There is a bus station in the city, which plays an important role primarily in long-distance transport. The most important flights are from Budapest, Hévíz, Keszthely, Marcali, Nagykanizsa, Veszprém, Zalaegerszeg and Zalakomár.