Clontarf Castle (Caisleán Chluain Tarbh)

Clontarf Castle


Location: Castle Ave, Clontarf, Dublin Map

Constructed: 1837

Today converted to hotel and bar


Clontarf Castle is a fairly new structure located in Castle Ave, Clontarf in the outskirts of the Dublin, Irish capital. Clontarf Castle was construction began in 1837. Today Clontarf Castle is converted to a hotel open to the public.


The first Klontarf castle, which is known to historians and which was then completely destroyed, was restored in 1172 by Hugh de Lacy - Lord Meath and his tenant Adam de Fepow. Then, the Knights of the Knights Templar owned the Klontarf Castle, until the order was banned in 1308. After that, the castle passed into the possession of the knights from the Order of the Hospitallers. But then the castle was confiscated from the Hospitaliers, like many other castles and monasteries. The last owner of the castle was John Ravson - Viscount Clontarf, who received the title of Viscount in exchange for the castle, which he transferred to the crown of England.

In 1600, Queen Elizabeth I granted the estate and castle of Klontarf to Sir Jeffrey Fenton, her secretary of state from Ireland. The castle was inherited by his descendants - the King family. George King Klontarf participated in the Irish uprising of 1641 at the Irish Confederation. The rebels were defeated, the estate and castle of Klontarf were confiscated.

After Oliver Cromwell drowned the Irish uprising in blood, conquered Ireland, he gave the estate and castle of Klontarf to captain John Blackwell on August 14, 1649. Subsequently, Captain Blackwell sold the castle and estate to John Vernon, quartermaster general of the army of Oliver Cromwell. The Vernon family owned the castle for about 300 years.

In 1660, John Vernon handed over Klontarf Castle to his son, Edward Vernon. Edward died in 1684 and one of his sisters took possession of the castle. In 1695, Edward's cousin - also in the name of John Vernon, claimed that his castle rights were granted to him by an act of parliament in 1698.

The last of the Vernon family in a direct male line is Edward Vernon Kingston, who inherited the castle and estate after the death of his father Edward in 1913. He lived in the castle for only six months, after which he transferred the castle to John George Alton and his wife Moni. The castle was finally finally bought by Olton into ownership in 1933.

John George Alton died at Clontarf Castle on April 17, 1952, and the castle was left to his son, Desmond, who sold the property to pay for his father's funeral and other expenses and debts.

The castle remained without an owner until 1957, when it was bought by Mrs. Egan, which in turn sold it to Eddie Regan in the 1960s. Garry and Carmel Hooligan bought the castle in 1972 and turned it into a popular holiday destination, arranged a cabaret there, which operated until 1998.

The castle reopened its doors to the public as a four-star hotel in June 1997.