Drimnagh Castle (Caisleán Dhroimeanaigh)

Drimnagh Castle


Location: Drimnagh Map

First mentioned in 1216 (owner is Sir Hugh de Bernival)


Drimnagh Castle is a medieval citadel in Drimnagh on the outskirts of the Irish capital of Dublin. Drimnagh Castle is hard to say exactly when it was constructed, but it was first mentioned in 1216. Its owner was stated as Sir Hugh de Bernival.


The very first owner of the Drimn castle known to historians is Sir Hugh de Bernival. The name of this feudal lord is found in documents dating from 1216. The de Bernival family owned the castle of Drimn for centuries. Later this noble family became known as Barnwell and Barnwall. The last inhabitants of Drimna Castle were the Hatch family.

At the very beginning of the 1900s, the castle and the lands around it were acquired by Joseph Hatch (born in 1851), who was involved in the dairy business, he lived in Dublin on Lower Leeson Street 6. Joe Hatch was a member of the city council Dublin from 1895 to 1907. He bought the castle primarily to acquire land and provide pasture for his livestock. He rebuilt the castle, which became the summer home for his family and a venue for celebrating the silver wedding of Joseph Hatch and his wife Mary Connell, as well as the wedding of his eldest daughter Mary in 1910.

After his death in April 1918, the castle was inherited by his eldest son, Joseph Alosius (born in 1882), known as Louis. Together with his brother Hugh, Louis led dairy farms and a dairy workshop. Louis, who never married, died in December 1951. Hugh, married after 60 years, died in 1950.


There were no heirs, the castle of Drimn was handed over to Dr. P. Dunn, Bishop of Nara, who sold it (reportedly for a nominal sum) to the “Christian Brothers”. A school was built near the castle, which works there to this day.

The castle is surrounded by a moat, buildings of the 15th century have been preserved, there is a large hall with a tower of the 16th century, and large chambers of the beginning of the 20th century. At first, Christian brothers lived there, until in 1956 a new school was built near the castle. Until the mid-1980s, the castle was in ruins and continued to collapse.

In 1978, the castle began to repair a sports club. In 1986, the famous artist Peter Pearson joined the restoration of the castle. The restoration of the garden of the XVII century began. In 1996, the work was completed, although the castle was not completely restored. Now the castle is open to visitors, it hosts various social events.

Feature films were filmed at Drimn Castle, in particular: The Abduction, directed by Stephen Schwartz (2002), Enchanted Ella, directed by Tommy O'Haver (2004), The Tudors, directed by Michael Hurst (2007).