Ermak Travel Guide

 

The World at your fingertips 

 

 

 

Feel free to leave your comments below. If you want to share your knowledge, additional information or experience in a particular place your input is more than welcome.

 

Dromoland Castle

Dromoland Castle

 

 

 

Location:  Newmarket-on-Fergus   Map

Constructed: 19th century

 

 

 

 

Dromoland Castle is located in Newmarket-on-Fergus in County Clare in Ireland. It was constructed in the 19th century and today it is converted to hotel. The current building of the castle Dromoland castle was completed in 1835. It was built on the site of an ancient castle Dating back to the XV century. This historic castle was built by Thomas is the son of Shane Mac Anergen. There are at least three locks, at different times called the castle the Dromoland castle. Dromoland castle was once the seat of eight generations of clan O'brien chiefs. In addition, members of the Irish clan Mac Inernay lived in this castle in the XVI century.

 

 

 

 

 

In 1551 the castle the Dromoland castle belonged to Morrow O'brien. He was the first chief of an Irish clan to receive the title of Earl of Thomond from king Henry VIII of England. Morrow O'brien bequeathed the castle Leamaneh his third son Donoho Mack morrow O'brien. In addition to this castle, he bequeathed him the castle and lands of Dromoland. In 1582, Donohue Mac Murrow O'brien was accused by the English authorities of mutiny and supporting the rebels. He was sentenced to death and hanged in Limerick. All his possessions and castles were confiscated by the crown of England. Dromoland castle was granted to the Sheriff, sir George Cusack. But a few years later, Turlu O'brien killed Sheriff Cusack. The clan O'brien tried to regain the castle the Dromoland castle. The fourth Earl of Thomond claimed that the castle was rightfully his and not Donohue's son Conor macdonough O'brien's.
In 1604, Conor O'brien died and bequeathed Dromoland castle to his son Dono. Dono was then only 8 years old. His mother was Slaney O'brien. A dispute began over the ownership of Dromoland castle between Slaney O'brien and the IV Earl of Thomond. The dispute was settled by arbitration in 1613. The Earl of Thomond, before Lord Thomond, became the owner of the castle, but he was forced to pay monetary compensation to Slaney O'brien. When Dono grew up, he refused to stick to that agreement. In 1614, William Starkey leased Dromoland castle from the Earl of Thomond. In 1628 Lord Thomond was dead. Dono continued his legal proceedings in Dublin. In 1629, Dono received a decree, according to which "all the estates, lands, castles of his late father belong to him and he had to either receive them as property or receive monetary compensation." But the Earls of Thomond continued to own the castle and lands of dromolende for another 50 years. The fifth Earl of Thomond decided to give Dono other lands as compensation.
Robert Starkey-son of William Starkey had a residence at Dromoland castle when the rebellion for Irish independence broke out in 1641. Robert Starkey ran away. In 1642 the castle the Dromoland castle was captured by Colonel Conor O'brien of Leamaneh — the son of Dono and Maire Rua. The castle he had captured together with captain Mac INERGEN — squad leader of the Irish rebels. Conor was killed in battle in 1651. His eldest son Donah, born in 1642, had inherited the castle Leamaneh and claimed the castle the Dromoland castle. In addition, Donohue received possession of the land from his half-brother, William O'neillan (1635-1678).
Robert Starkey renewed the lease of the castle in 1666 after the restoration of the monarchy in England. Then castle the Dromoland castle took in the sublease Colonel Daniel O'brien, of castle Carrigaholt. Then, three years later, Thomas Woollcott of Moyhill lived in the castle. Finally, in 1684, the castle became the property of Donohue O'brien. However, Donah lived mainly in the castle of Leamaneh.
Different residents, visitors and guests of the castle Dromoland castle wrote about it in his notes. Sir Donohue I baronet O'brien, who died in 1717, wrote of the castle that it was "a fine building in the Greek style". Donohue's son, Lucius O'brien, also died in 1717. He had a son, Edward, who became II baronet O'brien. He decorated the castle with paintings and bas-reliefs. He also built the project for the construction of a castle Dromoland castle. Thomas Roberts and John Aeron presented the drafts and drawings for the reconstruction of the castle and gardens of Dromoland castle. John Aeron was the architect who designed the final design of the castle and manor house. He also developed the design of the gazebo on the hill Tarret hill. This arbor was built to observe the breaking of horses. Castle Dromoland castle was enlarged to ten bays. Construction of the two-story quadrangle was completed in 1736. Edward O'brien died in 1765.
In 1795, the "gentleman's Magazine" wrote about castle Dromoland: "Noble and beautiful estate-the residence of the baronet sir Lucius O'brien, located in the County of Clare. Stands on a hill that rises slowly from the lake. The 24-acre estate is set in a forest. Three picturesque hills rising there, some of them offer views of the river Fergus and the Shannon...»
Edward O'brien had a son, Lucius O'brien. He became the 3rd baronet O'brien. He died in 1794 and inherited the castle to his son, Edward O'brien IV baronet O'brien. Edward decided to rebuild the castle. In 1821, Edward's brother, Robert's son, George O'brien, was born in the castle. Reconstruction of the castle began in 1822 and cost more than 50 000-a huge amount of money at the time. The Payne brothers proposed to erect classical structures, but Edward O'brien decided to build the castle in the neo-Gothic style, influenced by the ideas of John Nash. James and George Richard Payne were pupils of John Nash — studied under him in England. The building was completed in 1835. Samuel Lewis wrote about Dromoland castle in 1837: "It is a remarkable building in the old style, which is built on the site of an ancient castle, surrounded by a large rich and wooded area, recently put in order...»
Edward O'brien married Charlotte Smith, inherited her fortune and used the funds to build his new castle. Edward and Charlotte were the parents of William Smith O'brien, leader of the young Irish Rebellion of 1848. Sir Edward O'brien died in 1837. His eldest son Lucius became the V baronet O'brien and the XIII Baron Inhiquin.
In 1855 Burke left the following record of the castle: "the Castle is built of dark blue limestone, with exquisite workmanship, around a forest of over 1,500 acres of land... The hills offer magnificent views of the rivers Shannon and Fergus, the terrain resembles an island in a lake, making Dromoland castle one of the most beautiful residences in Ireland...»
The castle is well preserved to our time. The castle is in the neo-Gothic style, has crown towers with the coats of arms of the chiefs of clan O'brien. To the South of the castle stretches a wonderful Park. In 1902, Lucius O'brien-XV Baron Inhiquin on the site of the old lock of the XVII century laid out a new garden surrounded by a wall.
In 1962, Donogh O'brien-XVI Baron Inhiquin due to difficult financial situation sold Dromoland castle and 350 acres of land around it He built a new Thomond house on a hill overlooking Dromoland castle. He moved into this Georgian-style house in 1965 and died in 1968. In this house he now lives XVIII the Baron Inchiquin.
Castle Dromoland castle was bought by the citizen of the United States — Bernard P. McDonough in 1862 and converted it into a hotel of the highest class. Now the castle Dromoland castle is included in the list of historic hotels in the world.

 

 

 

blog comments powered by Disqus