Springfield Castle

Springfield Castle



Location: Newcastlewest, County Limerick Map

Constructed: 15th and 18th century


Springfield Castle stands near Newcastlewest in a County Limerick in Ireland. Springfield Castle was constructed and remodeled between 15th and 18th century. In 1280, The Norman family FitzGerald settled here; at that time it was called Gort na Tiobrad. The FitzGeralds of the local ruler, the Gaelic Ó Colleáin married into the family, and received the title of the lords of Clanoghlais. In the 15th century, their descendants built a stone Donjon. This recently restored tower contains a beautiful example of a staircase in an outer wall.

In the middle of the 17th century, the FitzGeralds provided the Irish poet Dáibhi Ó Bruadair (1625-1698) with inspiration and encouragement; he subsequently wrote an Eloge about the family and recorded their life paths and exploits.

As the family flourished, a second tower was built in the course of the 18th century, which was occupied by a garrison.

In 1691, after the confiscation of their lands by the king of England, left the FitzGeralds Springfield Castle, and returned to France. William FitzMaurice, a younger son of the 20th Lord Kerry, bought the property. His son, John FitzMaurice, had a large three-storey mansion built in early Georgian style, which was connected to the 13th-century Donjon. This manor house was burned down by the IRA in 1921.

In 1780, Ann FitzMaurice, the only heir, married Sir Robert Deane, 1st Baron Muskerry. After the fire in 1921, Sir Robert Deane, fifth Baron Muskerry, had the wing rebuilt for the service of the Georgian manor and some other buildings renovated. In this part of the building complex with 40 hectares of Land and several Lodges live today the descendants of the family. Today, the estate belongs to Robert Deane, 9th Baron Muskerry.