Daugai is a town in the territory of Alytus district
municipality, 22 km east of Alytus and the same northwest of Varėna,
1 km south of the highway 128 Naujoji Valkininkai – Daugai – Alytus.
It was first mentioned in 1384 in the chronicle of the Teutonic
Order as a settlement of the Daugi on the road from Trok to Vilnia.
In 1792 he received the rights of the city. In 1793, the Seim of the
Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth deprived Daug of the city's rights.
During the third partition of the Rzecz Pospolita in 1795, it became
a part of the Troksky district of the Vilna province of the Russian
Empire with the status of a town that bore the name of Dauga. Since
1940 he was in the Alytus region of the Lithuanian SSR, (USSR). In
1956 it received city status. In 1950-1959 it was the center of the
Since 1991 it has been a part of Lithuania. the modern coat of arms was approved on August 4, 1998.